GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear hugger

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 am

Doing the requisite swing arm grease, and found these scrape marks on my swingarm.   I checked clearance with the cable mounts etc and all seems well.   Seems like the rear wheel kicked up rocks that got wedged here and scraped the swing arm.  Has anyone seen amything like this.

I guess time to look for some sort of rear wheel hugger or protector option.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 am

Hi Fred. That looks like the swing arm has come right up and hit the silver frame. Could this have happened if the Shock was removed ?
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 am

waterbottle wrote:
Hi Fred. That looks like the swing arm has come right up and hit the silver frame. Could this have happened if the Shock was removed ?

Don't think so - first of all, the pictures shows the bottom of the swing arm, not the top.  Plus, these are gouges, not scratches that could be made in this manner.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 am

Very strange Suspect
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:36 am

G'day Fred
Can't imagine a tire picking up anything capable of such and taking it over and wedging into the position shown .....
Could it be damage caused by some mechanic ?
Lets see if someone else has any ideas ...
I did my greasing and nothing like this on mine ....
Have a great day
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 am

wardentm wrote:
G'day Fred
Can't imagine a tire picking up anything capable of such and taking it over and wedging into the position shown .....
Could it be damage caused by some mechanic ?
Lets see if someone else has any ideas ...
I did my greasing and nothing like this on mine ....
Have a great day

I bought the bike at 6000miles, now has 10,000miles and needed a rear tire , so figure I do the greasing now (everything was dry but good shape). The rear tire that came with the bike wasn't OEM, so I'm sure the tire had been off before, and I doubt the swing arm. Hard to think how a mechanic could do this - unless the bike fell off a stand....

The thought was the right size rock thrown up might do it - but that is pure speculation.

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:32 am

Look to see if there are any Marks on the silver frame above the swing arm on that side, or if the paint has been "touched up " The curved marks indicate a rotative motion has caused this.
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:41 am

waterbottle wrote:
Look to see if there are any Marks on the silver frame above the swing arm on that side, or if the paint has been "touched up " The curved marks indicate a rotative motion has caused this.

No, the marks on the silver frame are right where the swingarm moves up and down (rotative movement) - this is why the suspicion that something wedge inbetween and created the gouge.  Maybe it wasn't a rock, but something the PO dropped in, like a socket?

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for pointing this out Fred. I just checked the 2016 Rosso, the cable securing Tags are ridiculously close to the swing arm. I'll be bending mine out of the way. Looking at the last Pic, your shock has been bottomed out a bit ( Split bump Stop ) I would expect  the swing arm was rubbing directly on those tags Shocked I'll post a pic of mine in a second or three cheers

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Rock could be possible, on my bike I found a small rock lodged between the shock and the frame, though there was no real visible damage. And my bike does have a rear hugger even, very mysterious were it came from.
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 am

The clips are definitely very close - but I refitted to check them, and doesn't seem like they could cause the pattern of damage to the swing arm. Plus the clips would be bent and deformed, which they aren't.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear hugger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hugger    Rear hugger  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear hugger
Page 1 of 1