GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Throttle Tamer

Go down 
+6
guzziownr
GHTE
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
Davetti
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Davetti
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Davetti

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 am

Wanted to pass on that I had the desire to experiment with making the GRiSO throttle opening less abrupt.   So, I bought the G2 Throttle Tamer body and installed it last weekend.  Installation was easy enough that included the Domino grips.  After riding yesterday and today, I can attest to fact that the Tamer makes quite a difference, both off idle to fully open.
Glad I went this route since I was convincing myself I needed a tune.   Good, cheap mod that works. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 am

Taking the slack out of the throttle cables and mapping it correctly is a better solution. Throttle tamers are crude and inelegant.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:03 am

Throttle correction in the map works wonders, too.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 am

There is a bunch of setting in the map wizardry that allows for this exact thing. Best part is it costs nothing but time and the number of profiles are endless...
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am

G2's are great for efi dirt bikes.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 pm

I put a throttle tamer on each of my three Grisos which were (a) Mapped by Pete/Beetle, (b) Had the cable scrupulously adjusted, and (3) Were valve-and-synch adjusted to a fare thee well.

Not really needed now that I am a rural riding semi-retired country gentleman but when I commuted every day though NYC traffic I appreciated the difference.

Do A, B, and C first...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm

I have horribly fucked up arthritic hands, getting so bad that I’m dreading this winter and am thrilled I’ll be in Canada and the US for most of it! I can assure you that if I thought a Throttle Tamer would help with my precision in fueling up the bike and controlling it I’d be all over one like a rash!

Thing is with proper tune and set-up one is completely unnecessary! Really! Both my GRiSO and my shitbox Stelvio are super easy to control no matter how small the throttle opening or spazzy the operator.

As stated above, by all means use one if it helps but actually getting it mapped and set up right first is really much more critical.

Pete

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 am

I've been experimenting with different throttles since the installation of the 1400. The monstrous torque needs finer control than the 1200 did. To date I've tried a throttle with a smaller cam (Motion Pro) and a one with a larger cam (Sundely).

The Motion Pro smaller cam did help somewhat with low end control, especially around town. Yes, sometimes one needs to ride through a town. However, the actual throtttle is a piece of shit nylon turd. I have flicked it to the shithouse.

The Sundely with the larger cam was terrifying. Want to break the speed limit it in your driveway? Want to launch yourself into the stratosphere? You need millimetre perfect hand control to navigate a street corner without powering into a parked car or the front garden of the house you are facing when the throttle goes from closed to 30% in a fraction of movement.

I've ordered an ODI throttle to try. It has interchangeable cams.  

I've also been thinking the g2 throttle may be an effective solution. Yes, a girl is allowed to change her mind.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 am

Beetle I have a G2 throttle tamer on my Beta 480 bush pig. It has made a real difference in fine control especially on steep rocky descents. The world of EFI is a good thing but one downside can be too rapid a response to small wrist movements.
Another thought is to put on the soft grips that slip over the existing grips and require less hand clenching and pressure.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 am

"Another thought is to put on the soft grips that slip over the existing grips and require less hand clenching and pressure."

I have those as well. I am a sensitive snowflake!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:07 am

Well, the end result for me was...no change. Stock throttle works. Turns out you get used to big torque.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In GRiSO we trust!

Bouncer likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:48 am

An old thread….
Pete Roper wrote:
I have horribly fucked up arthritic hands, getting so bad that I’m dreading this winter and am thrilled I’ll be in Canada and the US for most of it! I can assure you that if I thought a Throttle Tamer would help with my precision in fueling up the bike and controlling it I’d be all over one like a rash!

Thing is with proper tune and set-up one is completely unnecessary! Really! Both my GRiSO and my shitbox Stelvio are super easy to control no matter how small the throttle opening or spazzy the operator.

As stated above, by all means use one if it helps but actually getting it mapped and set up right first is really much more critical.

Pete

Pete, I feel for you, but Aussie weather is kinder than UK weather on arthritic knuckles.  They’re threatening my riding, even in warm weather, with swollen, painful joints.  Heated grip & heated gloves help, but don’t fix it

My Right forefinger is lately increasingly stiff to cause it to get caught up on transition between throttle and brake lever.  I’m having to try different techniques but fear it could prevent me riding??  Slow down?  Surely not  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Have been wondering whether a race-style thumb brake could assist?

Bob
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm

After all slack was taken out of the cables, a tad more ignition advance in the map worked wonders for my bike.

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzzichris
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi, Just thought I'd join the discussion re the G2 tamer. I had the pleasure of meeting Bob in person the other night and we spent a good while discussing all things GRiSO and that's when I mentioned the tamer.
The background with my 2006 1100 GRiSO is that I bought it in 2018 and had a 200 mile journey to get it home, during the journey it popped & banged on overrun and was a pig in slow traffic. The bike was stock apart from a Quill end can, whilst this breathes easier than stock it's certainly not an open pipe. First thing I did was download Beetle's 1100 map (.....8C44.2017.10.13) and immediately things improved but there is still a problem when opening the throttle from stationary, it's as if the bike is bogging down, power seems to be lacking. I've balanced the bodies, reset the TPS etc but this didn't improve things. Finally I bought the G2 as the bike was proving to be a PITA to ride in stop-start traffic, I travel through the Mersey Tunnel everyday to get to work and some mornings it can be slow moving.
Reading some of the previous messages it looks as if my particular bike needs it's map adjusting slightly, any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received.
I know that Guzzi can get the EFI right when they try, I've previously owned an 1100 Sport injection and a V11, both of these were lovely bikes to ride.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:21 pm

What could help too:
- After re-mapping the ECU do not forget to reset the TPS
- A slight increase for the CO-trim, e.g. from +3 to +5

Last edited by janguzzi on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
guzzichris
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I have reset the TPS after uploading the new map and after throttle body balancing. However I'll give the CO-trim adjustment a try. Cheers, Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Throttle Tamer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Tamer   Throttle Tamer Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Throttle Tamer
Page 1 of 1