GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Empty
PostSubject: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Wed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm

I did a thorough checkup of my GRiSO today after it was rollerized last week. I noticed something odd inside the right side valve cover.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's not very visible on the photo, but the powdercoat-like finish (not sure if its paint or something else) on the inside of the cover has partially dissolved. The light 'dirt' on the rubber gasket are small flakes of the aluminum paint. For certain these will end up in the oil, which I doubt is healthy for the engine. I cleaned all the loose bits, but even a fingernail is enough to cause more loose paint.

My technical knowledge isn't good enough to determine how bad this is. But if this is harmful to the engine, it might be wise for others too to check the inside of their valve covers.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it to be honest, the filter should take care of that. Anyway, chances are the inside of your timing chest looks like this......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Wow! what are those? Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Just the paint coming off in sheets! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 pm

affraid
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Just the paint coming off in sheets! Rolling Eyes

i hope it is not one of those 'remove before use' protective coatings

i would just take any engine parts out of the box and use without cleaning

having said that, the wrist pin of my V7 Sport Gilardoni set wouldn't slide in until I cleaned it with acetone
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:22 am

My pre-owned Tenni has a minor scrape on the left valve cover which I wasn't too concerned with but now it's starting to bug me.
I think my winter project will be to sand and repaint it back to original if possible. (A new cover is more than $300USD)
I seem to recall someone mentioned a specific brand of paint that matches the factory finish but I can't find the post.
Can anyone chime in if they know what I'm talking about?
Has the finish held up? Were there any tricks involved with repainting other than the usual de-greasing and fine sanding?
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm

you have to wonder why they paint it in the first place!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving   Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Valve cover inside paint(?) dissolving
Page 1 of 1