GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Newbie’s oil leak

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
MaPol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 am

So, after two and a half weeks of happy ownership here comes the first issue. Very Happy
My 2009 GRiSO 8V with 25000 kms surprises me this morning with spitting oil on my shoes.
It was a normal 20 kms ride to pick up breakfast rolls, and then this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seems to be only on the left side.
Question
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 2:28 am

Looks like it’s wet up the front of the block. Check the phase sensor and the condom on the condenser box.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks. Looks like I found the bad boy. Is this the phase sensor?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 am

Yup.
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks again Pete, that was a fast diagnosis.
It seems that the sealing is gone. I think I will thoroughly clean it and drive to our local MG shop, they have a very good reputation and they are just 23 kilometers away. Surely this will be one the things to repair. A new rear tire is also needed. And we’ll see what else they find since I am really new on bikes and on Moto Guzzi.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Removing it requires a 4mm Allen key, it’s not difficult, just fiddly because of its location. It is supposed to be sealed with an o-ring but this isn’t overly effective. The important thing to realise is that it’s depth is set by shims. It’s important that when it is removed none of them are lost or misplaced. Apart from that it’s simply a matter of removing the sensor and adding a thin smear of Threebond 1211 or similar around the o-ring and replacing it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

That’s a valuable piece of information. Though I like to make basic repairs on my vintage car, the issue is always the time. Probably not in this case, but the MG service guys should anyhow see my GRiSO. Thanks, Pete.
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am

My pig is at the MG service now. The service guy said that the phase switch might sweat - and it indeed does - but he will check the oil pressure switch as well, seems to be more oil between the cylinders.
Got this oldie as a replacement bike for the next days:
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 4:27 pm

WARNING

Don't ride the oldie too much or you will be smitten and start dreaming of loops.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 8:35 pm

That's not a loop Roy, it's a Tonti. I owned one that same color that I bought at Pro Italia, Montrose California new in 1997.
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am

So, one more issue: the quick connector of the fuel pipe to the tank is broken. Somebody might have ripped of the tank earlier and did not pay attention to that connector. The Austrian flagship dealer does not have it on stock, they have to order it from Guzzi. When I asked, does it mean that they ship it first to Vienna (630 kms) and then to us, my dealer said yes. (Just for you: we live three and a half hours from Mandello.) And it might take two weeks. That’s a tragedy - I said. So she ordered it immediately from Agostini in Italy and they despatched it today.
I might have my pig back by next week. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 1:34 pm

MaPol wrote:
So, one more issue: the quick connector of the fuel pipe to the tank is broken. Somebody might have ripped of the tank earlier and did not pay attention to that connector. The Austrian flagship dealer does not have it on stock, they have to order it from Guzzi. When I asked, does it mean that they ship it first to Vienna (630 kms) and then to us, my dealer said yes. (Just for you: we live three and a half hours from Mandello.) And it might take two weeks. That’s a tragedy - I said. So she ordered it immediately from Agostini in Italy and they despatched it today.
I might have my pig back by next week. Twisted Evil

Such a dealer is a rare thing. Hope they prosper.

Savor that relationship.

Bill

P.S. Enjoy your loaner. I have a venerable EV in my moto-harem. No GRiSO, but a sweet machine nonetheless ... even if Roper hates 'em. jocolor
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:10 am

I had to give tbe loaner back (no problem, since I´m on a business trip anyhow).
It was a funny experience. It needed quite a few kilometers to warm up and before that the engine would always go out since the choke lever would not stay at its place. Once the engine was warm it was pure joy. Even if I didn´t find out where they have hidden the 75 horsepowers. But it was handier and easier to ride than my GRiSO. And way more comfortable. Yet I miss my pig, I´m counting the days.
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:34 am

to pete roper. finally got around to lifting tank off of my 2012 GRiSO.bit of struggle with disconnecting fuel line. nothing broken or lost. but oil sensor i ordered through dealer is wrong style. once again thank you for your advice. very helpful. hope to be riding soon.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:55 am

jtj wrote:
to pete roper. finally got around to lifting tank off of my 2012 GRiSO.bit of struggle with disconnecting fuel line. nothing broken or lost. but oil sensor i ordered through dealer is wrong style. once again thank you for your advice. very helpful. hope to be riding soon.

You are quite clearly an amateur.  

Most of us find that one of the easiest chores on our Grisos.

Just kidding.  jocolor

Ain't it a design from Hell?   Evil or Very Mad

Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:13 pm

jtj wrote:

What thread pitch is it coarse or fine? And what sort of connector does it use?

Pete
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am

it is a larger diameter coarse thread. it has a rectangle connector with one small blade. it uses a wire clip around the female connector to secure the connection.jtj
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 am

to bill. especially when you have short fat fingers like mine.ha ha.jtj
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 am

What’s your address? I’ll send you one and you can take it to your local ‘Wottalottacrap Auto’ and get them to cross reference it then you can give the rest of the Canucks the word in what it’s known as locally.
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 pm

pete roper .my address 22 vintage cres. st. catharines.ontario. canada. L2S3C2 thank you. let me know the cost.jtj
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Need a name to send it to! PM me if you wish to remain anonymous.
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 am

j.jones. thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:33 am

Got sent to your board name today as I had to go to the post office and thought “Ahh? Fugitt!” Very Happy

Pete

PS. Usual thing. Look at the postage cost and send that plus say?$20 to Mediciene sans frontier. Job done.
Back to top Go down
MaPol
Carlotto
Carlotto
MaPol

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 am

Piggy is back from service. New tyre looks fine, we’ll see how it behaves, we’re just having summer showers every day.
Me happy.
Back to top Go down
jtj
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jtj

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 am

pete roper. sensor came yesterday .thank you very much.remittance on its way.hope to be riding soon.jtj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie’s oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie’s oil leak   Newbie’s oil leak Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Newbie’s oil leak
Page 1 of 1