GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Swingarm Maintenance finally done

Go down 
+9
KillerX
beetle
sideshowbob
Bill Hagan
Street
sidrat
FrontRangeRider
waterbottle
cognosticator
13 posters
AuthorMessage
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Swingarm Maintenance finally done Empty
PostSubject: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

I decided it wasn't going to do itself so this morning I jumped in to do the maintenence on the swingarm bearings. While I was there I also lubed up the dog bone needle bearings. One thing to note for those doing the dog bone needle bearings don't push the bushing too far out or you will be getting those damn little needles back in place. I knew not to do that, but went just a little too far LOL

Anyway, about 4 hours from start to finish and I don't plan on ever doing this again. I need a motorcycle lift too, crawling around on the floor at 69 years old just wore me the hell out.

I used a wheel chock to hold he front end steady and strapped it down too then I have a motorcycle engine lift that I put under the sump to hold the bike up.

I followed the instructions from the Stelvio write up and all went as planned.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Wouldn’t a couple of grease nipples be good here ?
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Jerry - I really like the combo I have in the shop.  Harbor Freight bike lift bought on sale and an LA Chock trailer chock.  Works like a champ and it is so nice to be able to work on the bike at a comfortable height.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But you have to stand up very straight to work on the bike.  LOL  Can't figure out why photos taken with my phone post on the site upside down.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 am

FrontRangeRider wrote:
Jerry - I really like the combo I have in the shop.  Harbor Freight bike lift bought on sale and an LA Chock trailer chock.  Works like a champ and it is so nice to be able to work on the bike at a comfortable height.

But you have to stand up very straight to work on the bike.  LOL  Can't figure out why photos taken with my phone post on the site upside down.

Bloody Hell, how do you get the bike upsidedown, it must make it easier to work on!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 10:26 am

Does it leak much in that position?

Let me help you up.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 12:23 pm

I told my wife I am getting one of those for Christmas, now to find room for it in the garage.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Uhm ... is that a latte holder at the top of your w/s, FRR? jocolor

Bill
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I have to turn my phone sideways to take pictures or they will flip. No idea why. Android.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I don't understand. Every pic is oriented correctly. You lot are weird!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 5:41 pm

And those are our good points!
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Steak Street - Thank you for fixing the photo.

Jerry - You will like the lift, especially if you add a hands free chock.  No more hanging on the bike with one hand while trying to get straps attached.

Bill - I'm not sure what you are referring to.  The edge of the beer fridge is just inside the photo on the left, my shop stool is to the left of the front wheel and a screwdriver set can be seen behind the bike in the area between the tank and where the seat would be.  I did remove the half consumed bottle of Fat Tire ale from the lift before taking the picture.   Smile

Steak Street edited the photo so now I see the "latte holder."  No, it is the flip up wind deflector on the windshield.  Can't say as I notice any real difference, regardless of the angle of the deflector.  But I have been told before that I am insensitive....

Alden

Last edited by FrontRangeRider on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
KillerX
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
KillerX

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am

FRR- what windshield is that?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Jerry,

How dry did things look? I have a 2014 with 9500 miles and haven't even thought about having this work done or trying to do it as I'm not as technically inclined or adventuresome as you. I'd be glad to help you wrestle the GRiSO if you need to again as long as I'm not on the road someplace.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

JohnA wrote:
Jerry,

How dry did things look? I have a 2014 with 9500 miles and haven't even thought about having this work done or trying to do it as I'm not as technically inclined or adventuresome as you. I'd be glad to help you wrestle the GRiSO if you need to again as long as I'm not on the road someplace.

I thnik I have 13k miles on mine. The right bearing had "some" grease on it and the left was almost dry. they both needed to be done and glad I did it

If you want to do it let me know and we can get together on a Friday Sat or Sunday when I am in town.

Just an FYI, southeastern motorsports in Garden City told me today he can do any work on the Guzzi if someone need it. He is an Aprilia dealer but he also works on guzzi.

That is just for items that I can't do, and hopefully I won't come across any of those.

Just let me know
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm

KilerX - It is the Vario Touring Naked Bike (VTNB) windshield made by MRA in Germany.  The only place that I know that sells it in the US is Twisted Throttle.
Back to top Go down
gimp1045
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
gimp1045

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:18 pm

I really like that lift, as well as the the red color scheme on your GRiSO.

Gravity in Colorado seems waaay different than it is here in Oklahoma though Suspect ..

Tim
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:44 am

Jerry ("Cognosticator"), who started this thread was kind enough to offer to come help a novice mechanic take on this service. My 2014 with 12K miles had no visible grease on the swing arm bearing. I bet if we were wearing white gloves, they wouldn't have gotten dirty on that bearing. It had to be much better as a two man job. We greased the "outer" swing arm bearing and the needle bearings in the shock while at it. Here's a shot of Jerry hard at it. And, I was helping, but someone had to take the picture (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 am

LOL, you are being modest John. John had taken a lot of the things off before I got there making it quicker for me to git r dun.

Glad to be able to help and thanks for the wine :-)
Back to top Go down
2cylinderguy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
2cylinderguy

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:16 am

Thread hijack: How good is that screen? I'm about to hoof mine about 2500 miles around Europe and feel the need for something.

Steve
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Steve

Do a search on windshield and you’ll find a thread from 2018 with lots of choices including the two in this thread.
Back to top Go down
2cylinderguy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
2cylinderguy

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 pm

JohnA wrote:
Steve

Do a search on windshield and you’ll find a thread from 2018 with lots of choices including the two in this thread.

Thanks. On it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:05 pm

JohnA wrote:
Jerry ("Cognosticator"), who started this thread was kind enough to offer to come help a novice mechanic take on this service. My 2014 with 12K miles had no visible grease on the swing arm bearing. I bet if we were wearing white gloves, they wouldn't have gotten dirty on that bearing. It had to be much better as a two man job. We greased the "outer" swing arm bearing and the needle bearings in the shock while at it. Here's a shot of Jerry hard at it. And, I was helping, but someone had to take the picture (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

That's some goddam BLACK hair for 70! What's your secret to a stress free life?. Thumbs Up afro

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm Maintenance finally done   Swingarm Maintenance finally done Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Swingarm Maintenance finally done
Page 1 of 1