GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Why oil and what does it do?

Go down 
+18
GuzziSteve
Nobleswood
diedel
Diablo Loco
Pisano
sideshowbob
Street
wardentm
Converted Duc
motor-timothy
DeepSpace
McCarthy1983
anguscameron1966
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
Phang
GuZeee
Pete Roper
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 am

Oil in bottom end , rear end, they get confused.
Pulled this last night, no oil[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am

Well that's going to cost a bob or two to get right.....
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm

The mother ship is not going to have some of these bearings anymore in US. Everything but R & P is $350. New EV rear drive is $1400 if you can find one.

So, if you see oil on your rim, you might have a check. I kinda like doing bench work Pete.
The bearing next to the pinion gear took the heat, melted some of the thin shims together.
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks Peter
Good write up.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 am

Someone asked what unsullied bearings would look like?

Well these are out of a not high mileage but not new either engine we wrecked out for some reason I can't remember.

Note that if we were putting them into an engine we'd get the dust and grass seed off but since these have been on the bench for a year or more I give me a pass! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Great info, THANKS
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:03 pm

So a uniform even surface with no streaks or circular marks is what to expect when looking at plain bearings that are operating correctly.
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 am

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to do it. Informative because my 16' is throwing the service/oil can light intermittently, but before I start the bike then stays on after the bike is started. The red oil light comes on when I turn the key then stays on along with the "SERVICE" alert once started. Then I turn the bike off, cut it back on and no light or SERVICE alert. The weirdest part is that the bike seems to stumble/be down on power when this combo comes on. scratch I'm thinking some sensor is bad or the ECU needs to be re-flashed. Under warranty, I need to get it in to the shop for diagnostics.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am

Throw a new pressure sender at it. If that doesn't fix it check the sump gasket and oil filter/oil pressure relief valve O ring.

Can you expand on the 'Down on power' thing?

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:36 am

I vaguely remember (perhaps not) that GRiSO goes into 'limp home' or default mapping in event of certain warnings. Remember it as the rubbish lambda fooler would always trigger warning 'outside limits' & everything would default to different settings until cleared and reset.....obviously with factory map and learning parameters/lambda, default was better than normal !
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:58 am

I've heard the same as paulbrice regarding the "limp mode." I rode it briefly once in this condition and it just seemed to be down on power. When I opened the throttle it kinda stumbled and sluggishly puttered the half mile or so down the road I went before cutting it off and back on again. Then it was fine... And of course the dealer couldn't replicate the same problem when I dropped it off. I'm thinking they will be able to replicate now since it seems to be occurring more frequently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why oil and what does it do?   Why oil and what does it do? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Why oil and what does it do?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: