GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel line quick release alternative

Go down 
+5
Oz1200Guzzi
paulbrice
MalG
sidrat
agriff
9 posters
AuthorMessage
agriff
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
agriff

Fuel line quick release alternative Empty
PostSubject: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Having read a few threads on this and not managed to get fuel line off I ordered these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

it was still difficult to get it apart but managed eventually.
Is it possible to cut the fuel line and put in a fuel line joiner and a couple of clamps to make it easier to get apart in future with just a screwdriver?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Do you still have the original plastic connectors?

I know they seems to be a little brittle, but i have to say that mine comes on and off with ease?
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 pm

There's tricks & technique. Once you've unplugged the fuel pump's electrical connector, punch the starter button to relieve any pressure in the line. Then push with one hand & pull with the other - that tool may help. Once apart, lube the inside of the connector lightly, it will help next time. While it's off, examine the allowed movement - you'll find it actually doesn't have much. Then you start practising. Until it becomes easy - that's technique. The more you do it, the easier it gets. A better connector may be easier, but now I know how, it's no longer necessary & I can cope comfortably. It's Italian - it works OK if you hold your tongue in the correct angle.
Back to top Go down
agriff
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
agriff

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Would still like to add another connector in case it gets stuck again. Has anyone done this?

Saw this thread:

where he cut the line eventually and added a hose clamp. But I'm a bit reluctant to try to get the old clamp off the quick connector, and shorten the fuel line which is why I thought of adding a joiner in further down the line.

Couldn't get it apart without the pliers, even they bent and I had to straighten them and try from other side of bike. But they are very cheap things.

What would be best to lube inside of connector with? ACF50? Silcone spray/grease? WD40?

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 pm

It says WD40 in the thread you referenced......I guess anything that makes plastic move better against plastic will work
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 am

I've used both a lanolin spray & a silicone WD40, & probably other stuff I've had lying around. Whatever, they all seem to work. It doesn't require much, just a few drops, or dabs.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 am

In the early days, and when I attend the tanks of others, if the connector seemed reluctant or stiff, I would try a little lube into the connector with the can's little tube. It would be really nice if that connector had a definite action, so you'd know, by feel or sound, whether you got it, or not. Unfortunately it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:27 am

That's the difference between wishing and knowing. The school of hard knocks is a good teacher - if you are awake!

Mal, on a side note, I am changing the design of those vacuum takeoffs to make them stronger. Got stupidly busy yesterday (with work would you believe - the shame). Hopefully I will get some made up this next week.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:35 pm

I ended up putting an inline connector in which is so much easier; I looked into it and it looks as though the nylon and plastic quick release adaptors should not be used on Fuel injection systems [don't know how true this is], any road the metal is more expensive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] something like this is what I got (both male and female)
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:48 am

GDay Brian.
As you have just purchased. What is the fuel tube size ?
1/4 or 5/6 i.d. ?
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Sorry been offline a bit recently
I'll have a look but think it is the smaller of the two 1/4"
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 pm

This is what I use.

The QR fitting is crap it only works when there is a full moon and a northerly breeze then it will make it's own mind if it wants to come off or not.

I also replaced all the fuel lines with thick wall pipe that can't kink or split with jubilee clips at all junctions.
Back to top Go down
diedel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
diedel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Another alternative i did some years ago:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick release alternative   Fuel line quick release alternative Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel line quick release alternative
Page 1 of 1