GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Baffles in or out ?

Go down 
+11
davem
wardentm
Diablo Loco
Oz1200Guzzi
paulbrice
sidrat
MrButter
Converted Duc
beetle
anguscameron1966
Dave R
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 am

Well, the 8V isn't a 2V, and it's not a Triumph engine.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 am

This is one of those "Get off my lawn" Old Flatulent comments, but, IMO, removing the db killer is selfish, as the resulting increase in noise is rude to others in town and in the countryside.

I like the sound of ICE's with stock and many after-market exhausts.  

And, regrettably, that will likely become more memories than joys over the next few decades.  In the meantime, while we enjoy that visceral music, it seems to me we make no friends and many enemies when we remove the db killer from exhausts.

Now ... where did I put my cane and Geritol?   Sleep

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:38 am

It's all good, Bill. Just join the rest of us Grandads*.

* for the record, I'm not actually a Grandad. Yet. Oh, how I wish I was. I was told to stop asking my daughter's boyfriend to put a baby in her. Rolling Eyes

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 am

(Sigh.) The reason why I recommend running a dB killer has nothing to do with noise per-se, (Although I wholeheartedly agree with you on the antisocial nature of the 'Loud is better' brigade.) it is because the Guzzi 8V runs significantly better with a dB killer in.

As I've said before this is because of a combination of factors including the porting and combustion chamber design plus the cam timing. Not those exclusively but they are the major contributing factors. Yes, you may be able to drag a couple more hp out of the lump by running an open pipe but it will gut the bottom end and midrange. If you want to play that game? Be my guest! Those of us who ride decently mapped and quieter machines will continue to enjoy greater real world performance and lower fuel consumption.

And Dave? We've done significant dyno time with the 8V. We just don't choose to make up spurious, bullshit claims or argue that they prove anything compared to other results achieved on exactly the same dyno under exactly the same conditions. Our results for peak HP are consistently lower than those published by most other 'Tuners' which I can only imagine must prove that we are hopeless losers.

Pete
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:01 am

Pete. I know you and Mark have put in the hard yards on the 8V map development, it just strikes how few GRiSO owners have bothered getting their bikes dynoed and then shared the results. Other forums are full of the 'my dick is bigger than yours' graphs.  Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am

I've been disappointing wimmins for over forty years. I don't need to advertise my inadequacies by making a horrid noise!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm

davem wrote:
Pete. I know you and Mark have put in the hard yards on the 8V map development, it just strikes how few GRiSO owners have bothered getting their bikes dynoed and then shared the results. Other forums are full of the 'my dick is bigger than yours' graphs.  Just saying.

I can't speak for the others but in my case I see no sense in running the bike on a Dyno just to see that I gained or lost a couple of bhp. The changes I have made to GRiSO are designed with road riding in mind, thus I make the change and ride on the road. I have run stock, Termi (spud in and out) and Mistral hi (spud in and out). In these configurations I have run the original map, the factory updated map and Beetle maps.

Now while my arse has been called many things a Dyno is not one of them, in saying that I have been ridding since I was 5 years old and have a pretty good feel for a bike and how it performs. My take on the topic is as follows:
Stock pipe / original map- the bike offered poor off idle fueling and a lacklustre mid range before a pronounced rise in the 5000+ rpm range. Fuel range around 190km urban + happy revenue officers and neighbours.
Stock pipe / updated map- improved fueling of idle but still with a lacking midrange, pronounced step up at around 5000+ rpm. Fuel range approx 190 km urban + happy revenue officers and neighbours.
Mistral & Termi (in) / Beetle juice - Significant improved off idle response, smooth (linear) power delivery throughout rev range. Fuel approx 230km urban + happy revenue officers and neighbours.
Mistral & Termi (out) / Beetle juice - Significant improved off idle response, smooth power (with a flattening out of delivery in the mid range say 3500 to 5000 rpm) Fuel 190 km urban + interested revenue officers and neighbours who comment on the bikes exhaust.

As far as why this forum does not post Dyno charts, I would venture a guess it has something to do with the average....umm ..maturity of this group. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm

"Maturity" 56 .......?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm

I am running my high pipe with the killer out, but intend to try it in, as I have the killer in no shaky map that Mark sent me. I guess noise is somewhat relative as 95% of the bikes around here are hardlys with straight pipes and the cops don't give them a second look. The "lifestyle" boys latest fad is to see who can have the biggest and loudest stereo. Guess they are trying to drown out the obnoxious noise coming out of their pipes.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:58 pm

As a GRiSO owner I have no desire to Dyno my bike, why?
Because I don't give a fuck what is the exact HP and torque at the wheel before and after the install of a DB killer and a map (in my case Mark's)
Said map is designed for better efficiency over stock configuration, not in gaining more ponies etc... so a Dyno run ain't gonna tell me squat and besides, if your quest is horse power, the GRiSO is the wrong bike for that.

I think we're lucky to have folks like Mark and Pete in the Guzzi community.
I know it helped me a bunch...

bhattman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

davem wrote:

Mines out. Dyno'd it years ago termi baffle in out. Lost 10% in the last 1500 revs baffle in. Like emphysema. Which is totally expected. I don't see any remapping able to compensate for a restricted exhaust at full throttle redline.

It is more civilised around the 3000 rev mark baffle in and is far smoother on and off a trickling throttle around those revs. Which is totally expected.

If that's the way you ride all good, go for it.

I have frequently banged it off the rev limiter over the last 9 years and mistreat the bike in general. If it cant take it I don't want it.

That's the way I ride it and I expect no less from any guzzi. They should not be delicate petals. They should be the solid high mile workhorse I've ridden for 40 years and if the new gheybuilt Piaggios cant take it, off to the tip with them.

Now a favourite bit of childishness is loading the gear lever so it clutchless changes when it hits the rev limiter on WOT. Weight back and wheelie!

Just joking eh grandpas. /smileyface
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Gee. You must be the only person ever to ride a GRiSO at WOT and hit the rev limiter. With the shitty Termi, no less. Jeepers. Oh my, it must be wonderful to be you. Golly, I'm jealous.

Rolling Eyes

Razz

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 am

Shitty termi AND stock map! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baffles in or out ?   Baffles in or out ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Baffles in or out ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: