GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

ALDI Multimeters

Go down 
+3
wardest
MrGPz
Oz1200Guzzi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:03 am

ALDI has multimeters this Saturday, for the princely sum of $20. Now you have no excuse to not get one to carry on your bike. generally you will not need it, but you will be able to help others out.

I'll be getting one to replace the one that just died, and it'll be good company for the "Stop & Go" tyre repair kit and the mini compressor in my tail bag.

At this price you really have no excuse.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Great idea,

Just be aware that at that price it may NOT be suitable for 230-240Volts, even though it may have the range for it. (if you decide to do some home testing with it as well)

Stick to 12-48V and you'll be sweet.

If you need to do work in your house get a Sparky!
At least the only shock you'll get is their bill!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 pm

I have a "certified" Fluke for home use, so a fair warning. I only suggest for use on bikes and as MrGPZ said, stick to 12-24-48V range and all should be sweet.

Yes leave elektrikery, especially at 115V/230V to the experts - this stuff bites when cornered - the lucky ones survive.
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Copy.
F.A.B.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Purchased one yesterday CE certified to CATIII 300V. So the warning about not for use on mains is a good one - 240V mains peaks at 339V so don't use it there. Ideal size for you bike tools though.

The leads are a bit on the ordinary side, but I have a good set of leads which will be used with this meter.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Wish we had Aldi in Tas, guess we are just not important enough .....
Back to top Go down
MattF
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MattF

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:38 pm

My wife is devastated that there is no Aldi is Tassie. We used to shop there regularly but since the move that ain't going to happen anymore.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:51 pm

The only time I needed a multimeter/volt meter was the ride I diddnt take it.... Mad Very Happy I also carry a smal one tucked in the same bag as my air pump and plug kit.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Bulldog9 wrote:
 I also carry a smal one tucked in the same bag as my air pump and plug kit.

This IS the best place for it! And why I posted in the first place.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 am

I don't know if your cheap meter can measure a significant current, here's how you can measure high current using the millivolt range, the starter current for instance is about 150 Amps, a 16 AWG shunt can measure that for the time it takes to start, a 12 AWG would be good for all day. And No, you won't find that in your Ampacity tables.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 pm

However a 16 AWG will have different characteristics to the 12 AWG (ie lower apparent current due to higher resistance of smaller csa wire). Better to stick to the specs as stated.

If you really want, try some disposal type places and get a shunt (designed and calibrated as a shunt) and play to your hearts content.

WARNING - DO NOT USE THIS ON MAINS WIRING - YOU MIGHT END UP DEAD!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
However a 16 AWG will have different characteristics to the 12 AWG (ie lower apparent current due to higher resistance of smaller csa wire). Better to stick to the specs as stated.

If you really want, try some disposal type places and get a shunt (designed and calibrated as a shunt) and play to your hearts content.

WARNING - DO NOT USE THIS ON MAINS WIRING - YOU MIGHT END UP DEAD!

No, the resistance is the same because the 16 AWG is shorter, it will get hot quicker however with little change in the reading.
If you could find a "Designed and Calibrated" shunt it will be relatively large. then you have to insulate and terminate it.

What I offer is a simple reasonably accurate shunt that anyone can make.
You can even tap into an existing wire on the bike, for example if you want to find out how well the charging is working.
The millivolt meter can be 2 inches or 10 feet from the shunt because the current in the leads is very low.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ALDI Multimeters Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALDI Multimeters   ALDI Multimeters Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ALDI Multimeters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: