GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tappets check

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stevie1
Carlotto
Carlotto
stevie1

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Am working through the bike service, today i did tappets, no adjustment needed, 2010 with mileage at 3559, i have changed oil & filter 2 days ago, i suspect this is the first time the rocker covers have been off, i know the oil was changed approx 2 years & 1200 miles ago.
I noticed quite a lot of cream colour & consistency emulsified oil on both covers inner surface, to my mind there was a lot of it, no reasons for worrying, but is this common for Grisos, i havent come across it before.
Many thanks
Stevie
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Well, actually it is something to worry about. Its that condition that will kill your flat tappet top end.

See the 'Why you should beat on your flat tappet 8V' thread for an explanation. Really, ride longer and harder and try to avoid wet weather if possible.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Interesting that the vast majority of these reports originate from the UK. I have personally never seen or heard of this here in Seattle, yet our weather patterns (cold and wet) are nearly identical to that in th UK.

It's very curious.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Yup, it is weird. Spain and Greece are also hot-spots for failure. While I'm sure that the moisture, cool weather and short trips are the major cause of failure poor maintenance is also a factor I'm pretty certain. Over here the majority of failures I know about have occurred in Southern Queensland and Western Australia. Queensland gets very humid but Perth is both dry and generally warmish. In Queensland I know that a lot of the failures were probably the result of a certain long time Guzzi 'Expert' using cheap mineral oil because 'Its a Guzzi and they'll run on anything.'. Mad 

Anyway, its not something to die in a ditch over as the roller tappet top end seems not to be failure prone and in most markets if your flat tappet top end shits itself they'll give you a roller set-up.

Pege
Back to top Go down
stevie1
Carlotto
Carlotto
stevie1

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sun May 25, 2014 4:17 am

Pete-
Trying not to ride in wet weather in UK!!!!, almost impossible, its always bloody wet, im always amazed when i see bike adverts-never seen the wet-????, must be a fantasy uk they live in.
Regarding long journeys, i got bike at 2500 miles, within 7 days i had done roughly 1000, long journeys & fastish.
Previous owner has many bikes, they are kept in garage, all on optimate chargers & fired up/turned over regularly, this is the only way i could see the emulsification build up occurring, effectively short bursts & no heat build up??, but please advise if im talking rubbish, mild insults only please!!.
Steve
Back to top Go down

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 pm

It's bad for any air cooled engine to be fired up but not run hard enough for it to get to working temperature. The only way to get it uniformly hot is use it - on a bike, take it for a ride long enough to get properly hot. It's the same for aircraft engines - the worst thing you can do is start it up but only ground-run it. If you start it, fly it. If you're not going flying (or riding) don't start it.

If you start it but don't 'use' it parts of the engine will get hot (too hot!), other parts won't, and the oil won't get hot enough to boil off any water content (hence the formation of emulsified 'mayonnaise').
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tappets check Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tappets check   Tappets check Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tappets check
Page 1 of 1