GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Black out bits for cheap chrome?

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
jlburgess
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

Black out bits for cheap chrome? Empty
PostSubject: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi All,
I have an old school '09 8V but the plastic chrome which I have always hated has quite a bit of checking now. The newer models came with a black headlight bucket which would be cool if anyone has one? I already did the Tuono mirrors. The instrument panel backing sucks too but is mostly covered by a Stucchi flyscreen.
Will Ducati Monster turn signals bollt on? They look suspiciously like the ones I had on a '96 Duc. Thanks for the tips!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 pm

I hate chrome too. I ended up buying the small, triangular mirrors used on a variety of Aprilias but only because I was a service agent at the time and therefore they were cheap enough when you factored in the hassle of finding other ones and getting them delivered.

Really though there are any number of indicators available on the bay of fleas, just remember that if you decide to go down the LED route, (Am I the only person in the world still happy with incandescent globes for stuff like this?) you need to put resistors in line too or the dash will cause the indicators to go bonkers and throw an error warning on the dash.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by beetle on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:11 am

Mark! That's four more gee gaws you could add.

Had a customer that got most of his (steel) chrome bits, matt black ceramic coated. Looks good.
Another customer did tell me the trick to blacking out the plastic chrome, but I canno 'memba?

Them little round black memory pills from up the back paddock aren't workin Rastus!
Gees, they taste like shit!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:19 am

Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 am

Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 am

Very Happy

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:36 am

Very Happy

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 am

beetle wrote:
nothing to see here Very Happy

(where's that shit stir emotithingy)  Very Happy

Some bloody mechanic decided my gaffa taped indicators weren't good enough and replaced all of them.  Even the one with the 140+ end graze.

Some people just don't understand rat bike evolution.

EDIT:  ninjas abound

Last edited by Diablo Loco on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 am

I put LED turn signals in the front, mainly because I broke a rear one, and it was a six week wait for a replacement.  The ones I used were Oxford Eyeshot LEDIC OXOF364, a nice tiny unit that made the originals look clumsy.

They came with 10Ω resistors, so I decided to place them in parallel with the rear indicators under the seat where there was more room.  WRONG!  I should have looked at the wiring diagram, all the indicators have a separate circuit from the dash.

I did some calculations and determined that 15Ω 5W resistors were adequate for the job, and a lot smaller.  I looked at fitting them up where the wires extrude for the indicators, but didn't want to jerk around with the wiring on the multipin plug in case I wanted to go back to stock.  So they are mounted behind the indicators themselves.

I'm very happy with the look and performance, I would post a picture, but I'm away from home at present (slumming it in Thailand).
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 am

The OP could scuff up the plastic (pressure hose does the trick) and slap on some pot belly stove black.

Worked a treat on my modded sump. Gets that aged patina thing happening from the oil leaks.

EDIT: Ain't it beuwdiful?

Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 am

I've done the resistor thing before but am fine with incandescent bulbs. Just looking for a bolt on replacement without starting a science fair. Maybe a later model headlight bucket and instrument cover will show up from a bike that met an unfortunate ending?
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 am

Chrome? I silver plate.
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 pm

So I did a bit if research and found Monster signals are different but I was close. I suspect the 2007 Tuono turn signals bolt right on and have the same connector.

I came up with PN GU32750611

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Probably find there are two. Front right and rear left will share a connector and front left and rear right another.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Probably find there are two. Front right and rear left will share a connector and front left and rear right another.

I think you mean part number, not connector Pete.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:31 am

Well, both actually. One has a male connector, one a female.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black out bits for cheap chrome?   Black out bits for cheap chrome? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Black out bits for cheap chrome?
Page 1 of 1