GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?

Go down 
+5
beetle
kiwi dave
waterbottle
Dilliw
gt1000
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gt1000
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
gt1000

Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 am

Well I have a 14 Cali Custom and thinking trading it in for 17 GRiSO. I bought the Cali thinking my wife would ride with me but she never did, I have always loved the looks of the GRiSO and was playing around with one at the local dealer yesterday which has me thinking about the change. Ill probably take it for a test ride next week to make sure its the one.
A couple of questions about the setup. Has anyone changed the stock bars out for the Stelvio bars? Also what are your thoughts on the OEM panniers? are they worth the money?

thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

Greetings Author,

IMO the GRiSO could or could not be a good change for you and what you are looking for in panniers could be a good indicator.

Are you someone that wants panniers full time and like to ride with a shield that blocks airflow? If so then you might be better off staying with the Cali. The GRiSO shines in its intended role- naked roadster. It's a blast for day rides out on the open roads, but it struggles as a city bike and it struggles as a light tourer. Not to say that it can't do those things but there are just better starting points like your Custom (a bike I really like FYI).

Now if you are looking to have fun on a Sunday afternoon then the grin factor of the GRiSO is incomparable! And it's wasn't too hard for me to get "day" comfortable with just the risers and the lowering pegs. But it will never be more comfortable than my EVT and it will never be more practical. It will just be more fun!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:47 pm

I think the Stelvio Bars might be a bit of a stretch for the throttle cables / brake and clutch hoses etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 pm

If high bars on a GRiSO is your thing, then the only limitation is your budget.
Most here have added Onurs bar risers ..................... and tour their bikes regularly.
Hell, I even fitted plastic wheels to my bike.

Don't ever let it be said. "It can't be done"

Don't buy a bike based on other peoples opinions, ride it and make up your own mind.
Does it float your boat better than the Cali?
After that, personalize or customize it to suit just you, and nobody else.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:42 pm

Buy the GRiSO, keep the Custom!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 pm

I like touring on my GRiSO. I'd hardly call this 'lite' touring:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm happy with the factory panniers, but they are not waterproof, but they'll keep a light shower out. They do come with waterproof over-bag condom things, but I've never used them. I normally put everything in dry-bags or similar. There are much better panniers available, but as I only use them 2-3 times a year, I'm content.

As for the touring side, the stock suspension is rubbish. Mine has been modified fore & aft, and has been called 'plush'. Before that it was a tooth rattling, kidney jarring horror on the goat tracks our government refers to as roads. If you just want to do short tours, it'll be fine. If you want to ride across the country in total comfort, a Stelvio is a better choice.

There are bar risers available (I recommend Onur's). I think Mana bars would be better choice than Stelvio bars. I really liked them on my GRiSO, and the stock cables and lines worked even with a set of Onur's short risers.

A GRiSO also about 200 pounds less to haul about, and has a 5 inch shorter wheelbase.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 am

Tenni green bedroll sack! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:17 am

You mean large garbage bin bag. Cool

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:33 am

Yes, and a decent telescope to look at Mars and other celestial bodies. Gotta love the "necessities".
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am

That's the small 'scope.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:09 am

On that subject we've just staggered back in from the pub, (Where it was really nice that lots of people were genuinely pleased to see us, or they had been paid well!) and one thing we really noticed was the stars. Despite being in some fairly remote areas in North America the air and light pollution meant the stars were never really *Noticeable*.

That is very, very sad.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I loved touring on my GRiSO Rosso and have set up the Diavolo Nero similarly with Hepcoe Becker hard bags and a Givi tank bag (with Onur tank ring, of course) although the sidecar rig has become our go-to tourer of late - can't leave Jellybean home, ya know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
gt1000
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
gt1000

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for all the replies!!! I probably will not be touring much with any bike. probably 3-4 hr trips out and back. I still haven't test rode the GRiSO .. that will be this week sometime. Sitting on it reminds me of my Ducati GT1000 (shouldn't of sold Sad ) Anyways at this time I have 2 Guzzis the Cali and v7III Anniversario.. which I purchased because I just loved the look of it. If I buy the GRiSO I would probably just make it my only bike. (wifey doesnt like me having two bikes anyways...so...)

Anyways.. the Stelvio bars was what the dealer recommended. also the stock cables do work with Stelvio bars he had a GRiSO set up with these and it worked pretty well though.. I think I would rather have bar-risers and to keep the stock bar look anyways. As for bags I have some cortech throw overs I could use short term, but I do like having a place to store my crap.. and he does have a pair of OEM bags in stock.

Now for the suspension.. Im a bigger guy.. so Im guessing stock suspension will need to be replaced at some point..what are the best option for the suspension.(front and rear).

Thanks

Mike
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am

If you are a bigger guy (like me) then the rear for sure. I’m ok with the front. Afternarket, a Stelvio shock, or have the stock modified. Traxxion in Atlanta did mine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?   Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Going fromg Cali Custom to GRiSO?
Page 1 of 1