GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil dripping

Go down 
+3
paulbrice
wardentm
Silverfox
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverfox
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Silverfox

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:20 am

Hi guys, I just had a morning ride and when I stopped for a break noticed the left hand side of the engine is soaking in oil. I did not ride the bike for. fortnight and was clean completely. What do you think is the problem? The gasket gone between the gearbox and the engine. The bike is from 2015 and covered 14,000 km only. I may be naive but I would have thought this kind of a problem ceased years ago.
Has anybody any idea. Unfortunately the nearest Guzzi garage is not nearby Sad.
Cheers,
Laszlo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:34 am

Tappet cover gasket .......simples ....
Back to top Go down
Silverfox
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Silverfox

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 am

Thanks Nibbio for the quick reply. So it looks I have to pay a visit to the dealer.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 am

Needs more photos to get better advice from crew here where it's coming from, but tappet cover gaskets and seals is a good start.....if you can find the source (usually oil follows gravity downwards) and you have some basic tools, you can generally fix these things yourself unless it's still in warranty.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Also check for cracked breather hose off the back of the head and loose banjo bolt for the cooling circuit at the inside face of the head. Possibly oil pressure switch.

It won't be a gasket between the engine and gearbox as there isn't one, it's a dry clutch in a dry environment.

Pete
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi Laszio
A very similar thing happened to me ... in my case rocker cover gasket, most likely cause in my opinion
Pete Roper sent me rocker cover gaskets and 20 minutes later without much issue problem fixed.
This issue, in my case was caused by poorly designed and manufactured gaskets, they appear to just move laterally off their faces and allow this type of sudden major leak ...
The ones Pete sent me appear to have an aluminum inner and have some strength that hopefully will not suffer the ills of the originals.
Give it a go yourself, relatively easy with an allen key and a good scraper.
Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Different gaskets on the 8V so the cure won't be the same if it is the gaskets.

It's fairly messy which is what makes me think breather pipe or cooling feed banjo. Could be the condenser box condom as well. Only way to know is take stuff off and have a look.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Yeah, stock 1100 valve cover gaskets are crappy and prone to leaks.
The fix is Valpolini gaskets.

The 1200 design is much better. It's like an O ring style thing.
I can't see that type gasket leaking like that on a low mileage bike so I agree with Pete on the mentioned culprits.
Back to top Go down
Harald
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Harald

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 am

My 8V 2016 looked the same this summer. I was sure it had to be the head gasket. I was wrong. There are a few tiny screws between the engins coolingfinns. In production the oil-channels are drilled, and then blocked with screws. They may leak, as they did on my GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 am

Ya, same thing happened on my 2017 as well this summer with the small plugs in the head between the fins, above the head gasket. If you ran it hard for about an hour in the heat, it would be pretty wet with oil. Mine was on the right side and it would run across the head and spray onto the tranny, covering with quite a bit of oil. We recently pulled them out, put on a bit of sealant.... there was none on them... and tightened them back down and .... so far so good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil dripping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil dripping   Oil dripping Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil dripping
Page 1 of 1