GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?

Go down 
+2
GuzziSteve
algebr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
algebr
Carlotto
Carlotto
algebr

Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Empty
PostSubject: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:07 pm

Well I've sufficiently recovered from my motorcycle accident on the GRiSO, in San Francisco, and my luggage is probably coming this week. I'm wondering, what is a good 4-5 day trip starting from San Francisco? I was thinking Oregon? Or other direction, San Diego? Or inward, towards Idaho? Also interested in the trip to Vancouver. Wondering if I will hit any snow going north, from any point onward from San Francisco.

Also interested in trip from San Francisco to Alaska, but it already being first week of November, thinking that I will see snow along the way.

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm

I'd go south this time of year or watch weather and plan ahead.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:04 pm

It's definitely fall here in the Pacific Northwet! Lots of rain, roads are covered with slippery, slimy leaves, the days are short and average daytime high temperatures are in the upper 40's to low 50's. And some of the more scenic routes are already seeing snow. North Cascades Highway is already closed for the season, Chinook Pass will close later this month. We'll be out on the Olympic Peninsula for Thanksgiving as we are every year and while I do ride all over the peninsula on that weekend, rain is pretty likely. I'd head south if I were you.

This was at Thanksgiving in 2014, granted, a little colder than usual, but still. I ended up heading home a day early in anticipation of it getting worse the next day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is more typical. As we always say, if you live in the Northwest and you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride much.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 pm

I'd go north along Hwy 1, visit the drive-through tree, continue to around Ferndale.  Then take Hwy 36 to Lake Almanor:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then down 89 to Hwy 4 over Ebbetts pass and continue to the Bay Area.

The other option would be to continue down 89 to 395 and come across on 120.  

Your choice just be aware that Hwy 1 should be run slow and expect fog / drizzle.

Mark
Back to top Go down
algebr
Carlotto
Carlotto
algebr

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

Wow thanks all. Definitely ruling out the northwest trip.
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm

algebr wrote:
Wow thanks all. Definitely ruling out the northwest trip.

If you go south, you can hit hwy 1 all the way to Moro Bay and come back Hwy 25 - great sweepers with no traffic and pickup Hwy 9 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Back to top Go down
algebr
Carlotto
Carlotto
algebr

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Wow! This. Possible to camp overnight somewhere? Like just setup a tent
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:17 pm

algebr wrote:
Wow! This. Possible to camp overnight somewhere? Like just setup a tent

There are some nice campgrounds around Morro Bay - I've done this as a 2 day trip staying along the coast, then cutting back inland the next day. Not a lot of distance, but a twisty path. But you can make this a 4day - lot's to see and lot of nice side roads to explore. You can also stop at Hearst's Castle in San Simeon and there are a lot of vineyards around Paso Robles.

Here's a couple of Morro bay campgrounds

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Fred’s suggestion is a good one this time of year. I would only add a stop at the James Dean crash site/memorial, just East of Paso Robles near the intersection of 46/41. I like to stop there and reflect on my good fortune in living to an age where good sense outweighs the need for speed. The Jack Ranch Diner next door has surprisingly good food too, but no beer, as I recall.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?    Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Going for longer ride starting from San Francisco - Possible destinations?
Page 1 of 1