12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 pm

So, my GRiSO is 10 years old next year and i will have owned it for 5 of them.

Since passing my bike test at 15, i have averaged 1.6 motorcycle purchases per annum.

This means that i should have bought 8 bikes in the past 5 years and i have only bought 2 (the GRiSO and a track day bike), this is a reduction of 75% in the numbers of motorcycles purchased. The fault is entirely due to the fact that Moto Guzzi have made a motorcycle that i finally like enough to keep.

I blame Moto Guzzi and i am suprised they have not been sued by other motorcycle manufactueres for their negligence in single handedly reducing world wide motorcycle sales.

Luckily i guess not everyone sees it that way....
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:23 am

I understand completely and agree LOL

In 2017 I bought 4 motorcycles, the last being the GRiSO

In 2018 zero purchases and still loving the GRiSO
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:11 am

Agreed Sid, owned 50+ bikes in 45 years and upto 5 at once.
Longest previous ownership of a single bike, less than 2 years.
I've had Bella 7 years now and will not add to my collection (of 2) unless I win lotto.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
paulbrice
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 am

I was looking for any reasons to disagree:
- it can't be our fault due to we're getting older
- it can't be economics because owning lots of bikes is PIA to manage & cost
- it can't be fault of the outstanding distributor, service & support groups
- it can't be that there aren't lots of potential alternatives
but on reflection I think you are right Wink

I had 50% reduction by selling BMW because it was too boring !

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Once bitten by the transverse V-Twin, it's hard to comprehend anything else. There are exceptions, occasionally, but the MGs are generally keepers.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:51 pm

I've been riding and working on Guzzis for almost forty years simply because I like them. They're a bit quirky but overall they tend to be solidly engineered.

They seem to produce 'Families' of machines that I either really like or that I feel ambivalent about. Loopframes leave me pretty much cold, I never really saw what people see in them? The Tonti framed bikes, especially the early 'Short Head' models are brilliant and for their time outstanding. The Spineframe models always left me, once again, feeling a bit ambivalent. There was nothing really *wrong* with them, they just seemed a bit 'Too little, Too late'. With the advent of the CARC series my interest was really rekindled and my enthusiasm was stoked further by the introduction of the 8V. Here, at last, and finally, was a package that dragged the transverse twin kicking and screaming into very nearly the twenty first century.

Sure the GRiSO is still pretty porky and sure it's 'Puny' by modern standards 100 or so RWHP looks, on paper, underwhelming but, like so many other Guzzis before it surprises with its abilities and punches well above its weight. As a 'Road' bike it is second to none.

I've owned my 1200 since 2008, it was one of the first in the country. Before that I had an 1100 for two years. If the factory had set out with a design brief to build a bike specifically for me I don't think they could of done a better job. Yes, I've made plenty of changes but these are mainly to upgrade the suspension and brakes and a few bits of bling, the powerplant and driveline is effectively unchanged apart of course from its mapping. Really though, mapping and flat tappet fiasco aside, the entire package was pretty damn good straight out of the box. There are plenty of other bikes with far more issues available.

I'm currently seriously looking at disposing of all my 'Old' Guzzi stuff, as in pre 2000, even my much loved Convert is on the block because I don't have the time or really the interest to get it up and running any more. I want to stick a sidecar on my Cali and I've got to get my Stelvio up and running again. I'm running out of years! I really don't want to to spend my retirement endlessly groundhog daying what I've spent a lifetime doing, I'm a bit over it if the truth be told! Very Happy My GRiSO though I'll be riding until I no longer can. It's a gem of a machine and a thing to me of both elegance and beauty. Why would I want to change? And to what? A V85? Why would I want to go back to some wheezing, asthmatic 2 valve shitter with an archaic hemi head combustion chamber design and pushrods for the love of mike! No thanks! When they hi-cam and 4V it I might think about it. Until then? Well there's that big Husky single that looks like fun and now the Aprilia RS660 in the pipeline. As another bloke said on a forum I frequent, "That thing makes my pants tight!" Twisted Evil

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:36 pm

I really agree with Pete about what the GRiSO is.
The look is just too wild in nailing retro and modern appearances while having asymmetrical bits in the mix. Try to duplicate that with another model or different brand. BMW R9T you say? Pleaaaaase...
The cherry on top is the 8V mill (roller of course), the power delivery is simply awesome in my opinion.
Big torque right here, right now, and easy to manage.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales   Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:08 am

That Aprilia RS660 looks fantastic, i had an RS250 wish i still had!, it was a real hooligan machine, not that i am a hooligan your honour.....

Back to top Go down

Moto Guzzi are responsible for worldwide slowdown in bike sales
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Experience-
Jump to: