GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Key conumdrum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BradleyM
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BradleyM

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 pm

When I bought my 2010 GRiSO from the previous owner a few years ago he gave me two keys. Both will start the bike. Today I thought I might change/update the access code. I followed the manual so went to settings and change code. It asked me to insert the second key which I did but after the 20 seconds had expired it said it didn't recognise the second key. I tried doing it again by swapping the keys so the second time I put the second key in first. It allowed me to start the process and gave me 20 seconds to insert the key but again when the 20 seconds was up it said it didn't recognise the other key.

The manual says the screen should stay lit during the process of removing the first key and inserting the second. On mine the back light goes out but you can still faintly see the countdown. A bit like the clock function. When you insert the second key the backlight comes on again. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
BradleyM
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BradleyM

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 pm

I think I've found the answer to this. I had a close look at both keys and one of them is not an original Guzzi key. It looks like the previous owner lost a key and had another cloned. I read somewhere that cloned keys can have problems even though they'll start the bike. In this case it'll start the bike ok but it looks like it's not good enough to satisfy the ECU. So I'm up shit creek.

I thought I'd be ok as I've got two keys in reality I've only got one original one dud and no code. I've emailed the previous owner so we'll see if he gets back. I've tried engine and vinumbers, the diagnostic code but they don't work. it's probably some crap like his dog's birthday.

At least I've got two keys that'll start the bike so hoping I'll never need the code.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Get another couple cloned so you have multiple spares would probably be the best bet.

Pete
Back to top Go down
BradleyM
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BradleyM

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:50 pm

I think that's about all I can do if the previous owner doesn't get back to me.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am

Did you try the default code?
I looked in my owners manual, the PO had the code listed there, I believe it was the default, I was able to make 2 new spares from one key.
The hardest job I had was finding a locksmith that could cut the key blanks, it's quite tricky.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Did you try the default code?
I looked in my owners manual, the PO had the code listed there, I believe it was the default, I was able to make 2 new spares from one key.

Roy, there's no default code, there's a service code and a user code, the latter defaults to 00000 before it is changed. Many often make their user code the same as the service code, others use the last five digits of the VIN number, others their birthday, or some other numbers that might make it easier to remember.

You were lucky the original owner recorded it. It should be a warning to make sure anyone purchasing a used bike insists on the user code (or get it reset to 00000) before handing over the loot.
Back to top Go down
BradleyM
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BradleyM

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:41 pm

I only realised a year after I bought the bike that I needed a code. My mistake was to assume that as I had two keys that operated the bike I could always change the user code. Advice -  if you buy any bike that has an ECU make sure they give you the code. If they say they don't know then discount $1,000 or run away.
Back to top Go down
BradleyM
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BradleyM

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Just an update on why cloned keys will operate the bike but can't be used to access or change the user code. If you programme your keys using the bike's ECU every key is given it's own signature so when you have to insert two keys at any time the ECU recognises both and allows access.

Cloning just copies the code in the first key on every cloned key so when you insert those keys the ECU only finds one code and not two which it needs. Then it tells you to piss off and find the other code. So with one original and one cloned it thinks both are the same key. Ok to start engine but not to access the system.

I think I need to get a few more clones and hope it never asks for the user code. The good news is that the code is stored in the dash and not the ECU. Anyway that's what I was told. A new dash is cheaper than an ECU if that's any consolation.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Ecu's are cheap as chips. The dash? Not so much.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:06 pm

You can buy software to access the dash and get your code, the price is more than a dash x 2.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How many are you going to have to do to pay for all this, and how many need it done? Not enough.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Ecu's are cheap as chips. The dash? Not so much.

Pete

And it's the dash that stores the user code, not the ECU.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Key conumdrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key conumdrum    Key conumdrum  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Key conumdrum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: