GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada

Go down 
+14
Richard
Grisodude
Nobleswood
Pete Roper
MrGPz
Street
sideshowbob
wardentm
beetle
wyno
PJPR01
kiwi dave
Oz1200Guzzi
Buck Turgidson
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Empty
PostSubject: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 pm

I am very pleased to announce I brought home a new GRiSO yesterday, dodging snowmelt along the way. It is a 2017 in silver. I have a few questions:

-Any opinions on Dart Classic screen versus Marlin? Are they really easy to install? I want to keep the GRiSO as minimalist as possible, does the Marlin look too big in your opinion? Does the Classic provide any wind protection?
-What is the best way to remove reflectors from front fork?
-What is a reasonable estimate for break-in (900 mile) service? I have read 2.5 hours labor plus parts. I can do oil changes but never done valves and have no center stand.

I am very excited to ride this bike more, I could tell after only 10 miles it is going to be fantastic. Feels much more refined and comfortable than what I traded (granted the trade was a Monster S2R 1000.) I bought the GRiSO mainly as a day-ride/canyon bike, I have a 2007 Norge for travelling. Again, can't wait to ride it more, Guzzi really nailed it with this bike.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Buck, welcome and congratulations.

A centre stand is not needed for servicing - I don't think it fits anyway. All adjustments are very simple and can be done by just about anyone. Ask specifics here, and you will be informed. We are all here to help each other.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 pm

I've tried both screens, the Dart Classic is my choice.

Why would you want to remove the reflectors? Do you plan on wearing some instead?

Can't help on your third question.
Back to top Go down
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Want to remove fork reflectors because I never ride at night and they look cheap on the bike. Leaving rear reflectors. Thanks for the greetings from the southern hemisphere.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Another option for you is to buy a good wheel chock, will take a look at the brand that I have, and that serves as a centering option to keep the bike upright for servicing.

Valve adjustment is not hard, using a large socket to turn the engine rather than trying to bump the rear wheel in 6th gear, just twice as many to do than the 2V version...and a lot easier to turn the engine over to find TDC.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:47 pm

Welcome to the forum buck. I used to have a Dart Marlin screen but found that it did not deflect any wind at all and I changed it to an Emgo Venom (see my avatar). It breaks the wind better than the dart and in my opinion looks better too.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Welcome!

I've got the Pirahna on mine, but it may be a bit shorter than you want?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 pm

G'day Buck
Greetings from beautiful Tasmania.
Welcome to the wonderful world of GRiSO.
Enjoy your stay here and please stay safe and warm.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Welcome, I think the reflectors are just on with double sided tape. I like my MRA speed screen.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Buck.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Welcome,

1st service as below including costs, probably 2.5 hours
This was in 2016 and is in NZ dollars
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Unless you choose to do it yourself I strongly recommend that you get the shop to pull the swingers and grease the swingers and linkage bearings at the same time. They will be dry.

First service I consider to be valves, throttle body balance and TPS re-set, oils and an oil filter plus a general check over to make sure nothing's falling off. two and a half leisurely hours would cover it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Honestly one of the reasons I enjoy my GRiSO is the ease of maintenance. I have alot to be modest about with my mechanical skills but like taking my time, starting a project, cleaning, adjusting & working on learning about the bike.

If that's something you want to do then this is a great place to be. Many articles & information to guide you through it all.

And quite a few Embarassed have blazed the trail ahead asking obvious embarrassing questions. You'll still get laughed at mind.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Only gently, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Far better to ask if you're not sure before you screw it up.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 am

Dart Thumbs Up
And what Mr Roper said

Harry
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 am

Hello welcome Buck  cheers
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 am

First - congrats on the new bike! I also bought a new silver one about 4-5 months back

For the fork reflectors, I have not removed mine ... but some guys that remove them from other bikes say to use dental floss ... floss back and forth between the fork and the sticky part that holds the reflector on ... then use goo be gone to clean up the remaining sticky mess on the fork. Never tried this, but others say it is a good approach.
Back to top Go down
Stromgriso
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stromgriso

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Buck! Welcome from a newish GRiSO owner as well! I plan on doing my own maintenance as I'm a uber-frugal (aka cheap) bastard. Got my maintenance motorcycle wheel chock from Harbor Freight for 60 bucks. For my long distance runs I've got a 2012 V Strom-hence my username. Still much to learn- this is a good place to be for that. Welcome again!
Back to top Go down
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to get a wheel chock and learn to DIY. Money savings and being in touch with the bike is a good combination.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 pm

You will also need a laptop, some cables, Guzzidiag and some sort of Manometer for balancing the throttle bodies. None of the maintenance is *Difficult* but messing it up can cause expensive problems.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Welcome aboard Buck, might I suggest before you get too bogged down with maintenance matters to just go and ride the lovely machine and enjoy the new friendship.
PS my nick name at school was Buck or Buckie
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 am

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to get a wheel chock and learn to DIY. Money savings and being in touch with the bike is a good combination.

Buck...here's the info on the Wheel Chock, nice very sturdy but easily portable item. Super convenient for working on the bike to keep it level...

It's called The Baxley Sport Chock Pro 2 model

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
silage
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
silage

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Agree with pjpr01 as to the Baxley Sport Chock. Quality and reliable
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada   New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New owner, Hello from Northern Nevada
Page 1 of 1