GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Curing a weep.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:07 pm

Last week I noticed the front of the motor was all stained with oil. Not enough to drip but enough to be horribly messy. A quick squizz up under the left 'Wing' showed it appeared to be coming from the breather box area. Now I'd previously had a problem with another customers bike with the strange little 'Condom' that covers the seemingly redundant pipe on the breather box developing a pinhole and weeping and only a couple of weeks ago I discovered that a previous leak on mine was due to a cracked breather hose. I'd kludges that up and ordered new hoses so I thought this would be a good excuse to swap them out and cure the leak at the same time.

So, off with the tank and sure enough....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All greasy and horrid. The 'Condom' which can be seen in the pic below was still fine but the breather hose above it was cracking and manky!

One thing that was really nasty was the state of the inside of the condensor box! When I took off the 'Condom' to examine it for holes it revealed that the box was full of rhinoceros smegma! Bleargh!

Anyway, not much you can do about that unfortunately. At least its in the plastic box rather than in my camboxes!

The 'Pre-bent' hoses went on easily enough although they seem to still be the same horrid, cheap, crap that Guzzi have always used that isn't particularly good at not degrading when exposed to oil and heat! Rolling Eyes Buttoning it all up and taking it for a run confirmed the leak was gone so its all good!

By way of celebration I rode home and dropped the bike when the front wheel slipped out from under me as I was riding through the spoon drain outside my property! Laughing I felt like a right prat! No harm done, the ground was so soft due to the recent rain I didn't even scratch the paint on the oil cooler cover. Sometimes you just get lucky!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Is that 70000 k's worth of spooge, or have you done this before?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Just goes to show you can lose it anywhere, usually at low speed. Many at time I have put my left foot down on a sloped piece of excuse for a road only to find fine gravel that acts like ball bearings under my boot. One day I am going to just let it fall (the bike that is) and sue the gubberment (as if). Usually I end up with an inside leg/groin strain.

Glad you got out of it OK Pete - oh and got the leak fixed.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
By way of celebration I rode home and dropped the bike when the front wheel slipped out from under me as I was riding through the spoon drain outside my property! Laughing I felt like a right prat! No harm done, the ground was so soft due to the recent rain I didn't even scratch the paint on the oil cooler cover. Sometimes you just get lucky!

Pete

Welcome to the ghetto Pete...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks Pete for the pictures.. since i have 2009 and one of my hoses is for sure leaking, should I just change all of them?
The Arizona Desert is just hell on anything plastic or rubber?
If these hoses suck so bad why not change them to silicon and just figure out how to zip tie to keep the radius?

Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Yup, the hoses suck. Oz too is tough on rubber stuff. If I could work out a way to easily I would of pissed 'em off and used something else. Its just a matter of finding something flexible that won't kink!

Pete
Back to top Go down

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Pete, are the stock hoses pre bent/moulded?
The dirt bike world is full of multi coloured silicon hoses in small diameter sizes and bent all kinds of shapes.

If some enterprising member wants to send me a stock set, I'll go sit in a dirt bike shop comparing bends/lengths/inside dia, we might come up with  a good result.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 pm

I'll pop my old ones in with that tank and fuel pump when I get the chance to scratch meself.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Curing a weep..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curing a weep.....   Curing a weep..... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Curing a weep.....
Page 1 of 1