GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO

Go down 
+2
2highlander
Buck Turgidson
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 pm

I am having a problem with the install, any help would be appreciated. The instructions say "remove the 5 mm. bolt holding the turn indicator." My 2017 has a 4 mm. bolt holding the indicator. When I remove the 4 mm. bolt the indicator is free. However there is a rectangular piece that extends the indicator outward from the headlamp about 6 cm. There is no way to position the bracket for the screen correctly without removing this spacer piece, thus moving the indicator 6 cm or so inward . The picture of the screen installed on the Dart website shows the indicators closer to the headlamp than my stock bike. Not sure what I am missing, the instructions make it sound plug-and-play, but it does not seem that way. Thanks again for any advice. I did search around the forums looking for this issue with no luck.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:47 am

I guess Your indicators aren't stock any more...?
Back to top Go down
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am

My 2017 is brand new, I have had it two weeks. The indicators are about 6 cm. further out from the headlamp than the picture of the installed screen on the Dart website.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 am

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I am having a problem with the install, any help would be appreciated. The instructions say "remove the 5 mm. bolt holding the turn indicator." My 2017 has a 4 mm. bolt holding the indicator. When I remove the 4 mm. bolt the indicator is free. However there is a rectangular piece that extends the indicator outward from the headlamp about 6 cm. There is no way to position the bracket for the screen correctly without removing this spacer piece, thus moving the indicator 6 cm or so inward . The picture of the screen installed on the Dart website shows the indicators closer to the headlamp than my stock bike. Not sure what I am missing, the instructions make it sound plug-and-play, but it does not seem that way. Thanks again for any advice. I did search around the forums looking for this issue with no luck.

This is how the screen should mount:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is how your turn indicator should look like:

Should just be a matter of removing the indicator & headlight bolt, insert the screen, place the indicator back & bolt everything together.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 am

I see what Buck is talking about.  My USA 2011 has the indicator style as pictured above but my indicator is spaced out about 40-50mm from the headlight bracket by a black plastic spacer.
There's a screw that holds the indicator to the spacer and another screw that holds the spacer to the headlight bracket. It's the spacer/bracket screw that should be temporarily removed I think. Then the Dart bracket slips in between the headlight bracket and the spacer and reinstall the screw.
The spacer may not be an absolute requirement. It seems to be there to place the front indicators farther apart. Maybe some countries require a minimum distance between turn indicators and others don't.
Buck has a USA bike as do I . I'm wondering if the spacer is only used on USA bikes and all others are omitted.
If I'm wrong, chime in.

Update: I just looked at mine more closely. The screw that holds my spacer to the headlight bracket can only be accessed once the headlight is removed from its bracket. Kind of a pain. Not plug 'n play. I did notice an unused tapped screw hole in the headlight bracket just below each of my indicators. Could it be that in some scenarios the indicator uses  a different screw hole if the spacer isn't used?
Maybe the unused tapped hole is for some MG option we don't know about. My bike has the MG windscreen and it mounts to the underside of the instrument pod. I hope I didn't create more confusion... confused
Edit: I just noticed in the above photo the unused tapped hole is barely visible and still unused even with the Dart bracket and shortened (no spacer) indicator assembly. So that unused hole is not part of the equation.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:51 pm

I see, is it like this on the US bikes?:

If so it could very well be a US specific thing. Mine at least doesn't have those black spacers, the indicators are mounted directly on the headlight bracket. Easiest solution would be to just remove the spacers and not use them I think?  Unless you fear you will get fined for that due to local laws of course. Taking the headlight off to access the screw for the spacer isn't difficult. It's just the 2 bolts on the sides of the headlight if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:12 pm

That's it!   That's what my US indicators look like.
I can't imagine getting pulled over because some cop thought the front signals seemed too close together.
I'll do a little research with US DOT laws to see what they say.

Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 pm

I searched for info regarding rules and regs for motorcycle turn signals in the USDOT website and found nothing that mandates a minimum (or maximum) distance between indicators. That doesn't mean there isn't a rule but I couldn't locate it. There are rules that vary state by state as to what model years are required to have turn signals.(think 1960s and '70s bikes) I think Buck will have to remove his headlight assembly to access the two screws anyway.
It sounds like he may not be 'required' to re-install the spacer but he must have the turn signals.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

motor-timothy wrote:
I see, is it like this on the US bikes?:

If so it could very well be a US specific thing. Mine at least doesn't have those black spacers, the indicators are mounted directly on the headlight bracket. Easiest solution would be to just remove the spacers and not use them I think?  Unless you fear you will get fined for that due to local laws of course. Taking the headlight off to access the screw for the spacer isn't difficult. It's just the 2 bolts on the sides of the headlight if I recall correctly.

Yes, that is exactly how my bike looks, thanks so much for the advice. As you said must be a US thing.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:57 pm

I never noticed 'flasher spacer' in parts manuals before but there it is....not sure if it was just USA and CA or a general thing as it appears in UK parts stockist sheets as well

Back to top Go down
Buck Turgidson
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Buck Turgidson

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Got it installed thanks to Grisology help, thanks. Dart sent incorrect written instructions with the piece, followed by more incorrect instructions by email, Thaaaanks...
It looks nice. Just rode 50 miles in in 48 degree F temps, not sure it made much difference. It will at least keep bugs off the instrument pod, maybe that's why they call it a flyscreen.
Back to top Go down
Solojoe
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Solojoe

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Installed a Dart Marlin (dark tint) on my 2017 today, the directions did not say anything about the spacer. Had to remove the headlight to get at the bolts that needed to be removed.
The Dart Screen was a breeze to install - need some less winter-like weather for a test. That will be in March or April cuz we have loooong winters in Canada. Got studded tires on this bike tho [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Next Project will be an Oxford Heated Grip kit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO   Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dart Classic install, 2017 GRiSO
Page 1 of 1