GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help replacing rear brake pedal

Go down 
+10
Street
lcjohnny
rick pope
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
gselvo
Papa Lazarou
tvboy
beetle
Mandrake
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mandrake
Carlotto
Carlotto
Mandrake

Help replacing rear brake pedal Empty
PostSubject: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,

I dropped my 2016 GRiSO at about 1km /hour and have bent the brake pedal.

I don't have a way of lifting the bike so I'm working at floor level and can't see too easily what needs to be dismantled to replace.

Amy guidance would be MUCH appreciated! I'm sure it'll be simple and obvious AFTER I know how it's do.

Cheers, Mark

Oh and an early heads up. Due to health issues I've decided that whilst I find riding " The Beast" an absolute blast that I'm going to sell and be content with riding my smaller and lighter V7. PM me if you might be interested . I'm in Melbourne Oz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 pm

After you have popped the clip (17) off the clevis (16) to disconnect the pushrod (14), remove the spring (23). The actual lever is fixed via a pin (24) that screws in from the back. A 5 or 6mm Allen key (I don't recall exactly) is required. Simply screw it out. The pin has two o-rings (25) on it to maintain the pin lubricant. Don't lose the washer (26).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Mandrake
Carlotto
Carlotto
Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks a lot Mark! That looks straightforward apart from the access at floor level and old bones.

One more question. Will I be able to pop 22 out of the "toe rest" with a screw driver or will I need circlip pliers?
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:18 am

That #22 E-clip doesn't look like its recessed so a pair of pliers should be able to push it out of the groove.
My pedal is slightly bent inward too so that job is on my to do list.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:32 am

Yeah, wee screwdriver or pliers will get the e-clip off.

Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Mandrake
Carlotto
Carlotto
Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 am

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but I've just changed over the pedal on mine. All went well except when I managed top knock the spring off. Can I find the top hole for it? No. Any help gratefully received.

edit-how it happened-low speed spill after I met a tractor coming towards me at speed the wrong way on the one way lane.
Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:22 am

It seems that this thread provides an indirect answer to the question "Can the brake pedal bend and can it be bent back to perpendicular to the frame?"  Per my photo it seems to me that my pedal hasd been bent inwards and should in fact be perpendicular.  If so how can I do the bending?

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:33 am

Remove, gentle heat and very careful persuasion. Too much persuasion and you will have two parts to the brake pedal - that simply won't work well and will require spending hard earned $.

Probably good to accept it a bit straighter rather than perfect. Also scour the suppliers to see if they have one and at what price (usually the number of first-born offspring).
Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:39 am

Thanks, I've done some research on bending aluminum and it is complicated and not necessarily easy. So I'm unsure if I'm going to actually undertake this but if I'm feeling really lucky I might take a shot at it but probably not until summer.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:49 am

Whatever you do don't try and un-bend it in-situ. The mounting will already be weakened by the knock that bent the lever and if you try and reef it the weedy little 6mm(?) threaded shank will snap. It may snap when you try to undo it to get the lever off.
Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:12 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Whatever you do don't try and un-bend it in-situ. The mounting will already be weakened by the knock that bent the lever and if you try and reef it the weedy little 6mm(?) threaded shank will snap. It may snap when you try to undo it to get the lever off.

Agree completely!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:16 pm

Mine was bent like the one in the picture. I discovered it while on a trip far from home. After doing some research, I went to a local welding shop where we attempted to heat the pedal to about 600*F to soften the aluminum a wee bit. We got it too hot, discolored the paint, but it did straighten nicely.
Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:40 am

My understanding is that you heat it up to about that temperature to rid the aluminum of the hardness it acquired as a result of bending during the impact. Called annealing. You let it cool down gradually (no quenching) and then you can bend it some.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:01 am

Aluminium work hardens easily and as Gselvo says the bend is enough to work harden it so there is a risk of snapping if oyu bend it back.

Heating it for 5-10 mins is intended to remove that work hardening.
The temperature needed depends on the constituents of the alloy so its a guess Sad

But with pure aluminium (sorry guys - UK spelling) it is the same temperature that soap blackens.

I have tried that succesfully on brake and clutch levers off other bikes ... good luck
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:09 am

Another easy indicator is to make some marks on the material with a Sharpie and heat until Sharpie marks disappear. Let it cool gradually before re-shaping. If you quench it it will become brittle and you'll be fucked. As mentioned, different alloys will have different annealing temps, but this will be close enough for what you're trying to do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Steak and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:03 am

Street wrote:
Another easy indicator is to make some marks on the material with a Sharpie and heat until Sharpie marks disappear. Let it cool gradually before re-shaping. If you quench it it will become brittle and you'll be fucked. As mentioned, different alloys will have different annealing temps, but this will be close enough for what you're trying to do.

Right On - My exact thoughts and procedure.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 am

Street wrote:
...........Let it cool gradually before re-shaping. If you quench it it will become brittle and you'll be fucked.
Oops thanks for mentioning that Street do not quench it

well that was almost the worst advice i have ever given........ What a Face
Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:07 pm

I did it and it worked perfectly.  Took only about 5 to 10 minutes to heat up the brake pedal lever to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.  I had an IR thermometer and used that along with the Sharpie.  A little bit hard to see when the Sharpie color has dissipated enough.  Very easy to bend.  I did it gradually, annealing between efforts and checking against the in situ position.  Actually over bent it and had to go back.  Thanks to Beetle for the parts diagram and how to remove the lever.  Actually an easier way - just unscrew the lever holding bolt and pop off the spring.  Everything will then just drop out.  You can then easily remove the clevis clip and go to work.  One of my O rings stayed in the lever so be careful and remove it when heat annealing.  The spring was a little hard to get a handle on to remove but it went back on easily when reinstalling.  A very satisfying experience overall, maybe even fun.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:10 pm

I placed the lever between two pieces of wood in the vice when heating it, so the heat did not get dissipated through the vice and the lever would remain pretty. The first time around the wood did start to smoke at a bit over 600 degrees so that is another way to check the temperature. Also placed the lever between wood to bend it and used a small sledge with a piece of wood to tap it back to the right orientation.

Oz1200Guzzi and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:13 am

We have an aluminium guru in our club, he does stunning work, his Imp engined Royal Enfield.
He told me to rub the part with cheap hand soap then heat it until the soap turns black, I haven't tried this.

I do a lot of work with aluminium extrusions, flat bars etc. which will snap like a carrot if bent too sharp, it seems to have a grain that will make a saw wander off. The extrusion will become quite soft if heated with a propane torch.
Aluminium plate on the other hand is quite soft and easy to cut and bend.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:52 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
...Aluminium plate on the other hand is quite soft and easy to cut and bend.

Again, depends on the alloy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Oz1200Guzzi and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:54 pm

gselvo wrote:
It seems that this thread provides an indirect answer to the question "Can the brake pedal bend and can it be bent back to perpendicular to the frame?"  Per my photo it seems to me that my pedal hasd been bent inwards and should in fact be perpendicular.  If so how can I do the bending?

Here is the finished product - bent back

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 pm

I will also add the following experience. While a reformed lever may solve the problem, do not take the pivot "bolt" (part #24 in the diagram) for granted. The stress on that part during the tip over makes it very vulnerable to future failure. I had mine (shifter lever) snap half way to a camping destination. Fortunately, there was a local machine shop that kindly cobbled a fix for me and got me back on the road.

Better safe than sorry, just get a new one now and toss the stressed one in the bin.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
gselvo
Carlotto
Carlotto
gselvo

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:20 am

I've been riding the bike with the bent liver for quite a while I think, maybe a couple of years. I don't think that the bolt holding it on is going to be a problem. Also to the extent that the lever was injured due to falling over or hitting something, the annealing process actually fixes that injury in the sense that it realigns the molecules in the aluminum the way they were supposed to be at the outset. I definitely will be watching for a broken rear brake lever though and hope it doesn't happen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help replacing rear brake pedal   Help replacing rear brake pedal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help replacing rear brake pedal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next