GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken reaction rod bracket

Go down 
+9
BrianD
Guzzi Cat
Stromgriso
ratso88
bahamazoo
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
McCarthy1983
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes, the side plate will need to come off. You won't be able to use the BT stand.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 am

So, the old girl is seeing the welder this weekend. I have a new silent brush on the way to replace the split one in the reaction rod. I also plan to change engine, transmission, and gearbox fluid, change spark plugs, air filter, change brake and clutch fluid, check valve clearances. While the bike is off the road, what else would you suggest I look at. The bike has done 22k miles. I have booked into garage for a fork oil and seal change, (as per manual) however, there seems to be nothing wrong with them currently, is this just throwing money away? Do the throttle bodies need checking?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 am

Assuming wheel & other bits will be off anyway I'd check & grease rear swing arm bearings at same time & could grease dog-bone joints as well as more access with wheel off. If you take forks off to get new seals & oil (I changed mine at 20K miles and 4 years just to avoid them failing) then steering bearings are worth a grease as well.

Oils & air filter & plugs (& hydraulics) are so quick and easy it doesn't require major off-road time so would do them anytime (plus I always drain fluids hot anyway).

Valve clearances adjustment means you should synchronise/balance & reset TBs as well
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 am

Thank you Paul, this is great
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:01 am

The forks are Showa’s, very similar to the type on GSXR’s etc. It would interesting to look at the service schedule from Suzuki and see if they schedule fork seal replacement.
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 am

It would be interesting to check out.Upon inspection over the weekend however identified that the left fork seal has gone, so needs changing anyway. Looked on Gutsibits at seals and they want £17 per seal, but surely since the forks are just Showa inverted forks, the seals should be readily available cheaper right? Also reading on here about fork cartridges, i believe that my forks are stock, therefore should be able to get hold of a spring compressor right?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 am

Cheaper seals on ebay but never tried them myself.  For instructions on remove & rebuild use the service manual and read this thread from Ghetto (and others)  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I wimped out and chucked the forks into Brookes for full service - not cheap.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:18 am

Seals size: 43 x 54 x 11

Yes, a spring compressor is required

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:29 am

paulbrice wrote:
Cheaper seals on ebay but never tried them myself.  For instructions on remove & rebuild use the service manual and read this thread from Ghetto (and others)  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].   I wimped out and chucked the forks into Brookes for full service - not cheap.

Thank you for the link Paul, interesting read, but this isnt required for a seal and oil change those is it? I actually found a pair of vids here, which seems to provide ample instructions on an oil a seal service:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So on the shopping list is fork oil, seals, dust caps and spring compressor. Should be a fairly straight forward job?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:22 am

The link was just to give some pictures of dismantling forks - I wasn't thinking you would do the shim stack as well Smile Somewhere in forum there are plenty of threads around doing this job & I just picked the first one I found !
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:52 am

paulbrice wrote:
The link was just to give some pictures of dismantling forks - I wasn't thinking you would do the shim stack as well Smile    Somewhere in forum there are plenty of threads around doing this job & I just picked the first one I found !

Thank you
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:19 pm

For the fork oil, manual says 7.5w however, there seems to be a choice, which should I choose.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:23 pm

The weight of fork oil is...

Well it really depends on the manufacturer, as fork oils are all different, despite their stated weight. It's a conundrum shared by many. I know what I use and am happy with. Others will be along shortly with their tales, both tall and true!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks Tony, I was looking to get Agip oil as per manual.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Given the stock forks are overdamped, I suggest 5W.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Comming back on the frame lug, I ve seen it once on a stelvio, and after looking the newer years have a stronger setup there with thicker/double steel. Don't know if they ever changed it at the GRiSO frames, maybe with the A8 engine swap?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken reaction rod bracket   Broken reaction rod bracket - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken reaction rod bracket
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2