GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spoked wheels conversion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fraktv
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
fraktv

Spoked wheels conversion  Empty
PostSubject: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Did a quick search and was surprised to see that no one has attempted this before; perhaps I’m the first one?

I wanted my 2007 GRiSO to look more retro with spoked wheels. I was able to score a nice, almost unused set off from fleabay from a 2015 GRiSO. Simple swap out, I thought. Well, apparently not. I call my local Guzzi dealership to see if it has ever been done, and they said the front forks are different, so while the rear may just bolt right up, the front won’t fit without some shimming and grinding. Well, they were right (I never actually questioned them, however they wanted to see the set up after I was done. Well the rear bolted right up. I reused the shim from my old wheel (hopefully that is what’s on the 2015 models).

The front was a big challenge. The disk spacing on the 07 was about 3/16” narrower then the ‘15, which required to take material off the brake caliper housing. The ‘15 front shim was also about .020” off, so it needed to be trimmed. Luckily, my pops is a seasoned machinist with his own Bridgeport mill and lathe. He was able to make modifications to my parts, and everything bolted right up. I will provide the photos and details in a follow on post, but I may be the first one doing this...maybe not?
Back to top Go down
fraktv
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
fraktv

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
fraktv
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
fraktv

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 am

Or you could just of bought the correct wheel spindle and spacer.

I have both sets of wheels, you need nothing more than the spacer and spindle. Yes, the forks are different. The 1100 has axial mountbrakes, the 1200 radials, that is the difference, that's it. Your shop seems, ........ Unhelpful? Possibly clueless?
Back to top Go down
fraktv
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
fraktv

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 am

Peter, What year is your bike? Perhaps if I were to find the 1100 wheels, yes.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am

No, it's not the wheels, it's as I said the spindle and spacer. The bearing spacing in the wheel hubs are different between the wire wheels and the alloys. If you look at the parts lists you'll find that there are different part numbers for both with the Pinole having a longer shoulder and requiring a longer spacer for one type than the other, offhand I can't remember which is which.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 am

I have both cast and spoked wheels on GRiSO 1200 8V and it's exactly as Pete says - it's plug & play with a different axle and spacer at front; pure P&P at back.

But sounds like your 1100 has different width between discs as well, because presuming you didn't machine your axial calipers to create an 'offset' with same width.....??
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 am

Hi
I swapped my wheels from 08 1200 sport, you need axel and spacers that came with wheels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 am

For those of you who have tubed (not tubeless) spoked wheels like on Bellagio's and Cali 1100's etc, and would like to go tubeless, I noticed today that Husky 701's have Akront spoked rims that are tubeless.
Just another option for those with OCMD.
Back to top Go down
midnite
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
midnite

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Gents: I picked up Vlad's old mag wheels for my 2012 SE.  Looks to me as though the spindle GU05614130, and spacer GU05615230 are the parts I need.  Can anyone confirm?  Want to make sure before ordering.  Thanks in advance!

Matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spoked wheels conversion    Spoked wheels conversion  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spoked wheels conversion
Page 1 of 1