GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

flasher unit

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike.K
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Mike.K

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 am

Hi all, i have a 2006 GRiSO 850. I would like to switch the indicators to LED. Does anyone know where I can get a suitable non load bearing Flasher unit?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 am

Blinkers are driven directly from the dash. You can get away with putting load resistors in the ground wires with a common ground. One resistor for front, one for rear.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 pm

beetle wrote:

Blinkers are driven directly from the dash. You can get away with putting load resistors in the ground wires with a common ground. One resistor for front, one for rear.

That should work for the series resistor.  However, the light current load of the LED blinkers means that the dash will think that one of the bulbs is blown and will throw up a display saying this.

I think the only option is to add parallel resistors for each blinker, as they are on separate circuits.  I found that a 15 ohm 5 watt resistor on each is sufficient.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Wrong.

What makes my blinkers work? Unicorns?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 pm

uhuh, yup!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

beetle wrote:

Wrong.

What makes my blinkers work? Unicorns?

Possibly the same unicorns that insisted mine needed the resistor. I would have much preferred not having to include them.

Perhaps your blinkers have parallel resistors built in? Otherwise, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm

The problem with using parallel resistors is that should a LED fail, the dash won't recognise an open circuit. You then only find out when you get hit by a car, or Mr. Plod says "you're nicked, Sunshine" and gives you a failure to indicate infringement notice.

At least with a single series resistor, the dash will indicate a failure.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Now I'm curious. What size resistor (ohms and watts) do you use for two LEDs?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:10 pm

I used what I had lying about, 22Ω 50W. Overkill, but they get surprisingly warm. 10-15Ω, 10W would work.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

So ohm's sez that you have about half an amp running through that 22Ω series resistor. Have you tried disconnecting one LED flasher to observe whether the dash registers a fault?

My thinking was that the LED is very reliable, so no electronic monitoring is necessary.

I always thought it was a no-no to connect LEDs in parallel without a limiting series resistor on each one. This explains it better than I ever could.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Didn't you already extinguish an expensive LED flasher?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:43 pm

They're not connected in parallel. Even if inside the dash, the left & right sides only have one source driving both blinkers, there is a series limiting resistor in my setup. One per end, not one per side. The front left & right blinkers share a series resistor in the ground connection. Ditto for the rear.

I have tried disconnecting one to confirm the dash registers a fault. It does.

Yes, I extinguished an expensive LED blinker. I am ham fisted. I repaired it, however. The LED units themselves may last longer than me, but on a vibrating moving vehicle, wires and connectors can move and loosen. I had a troublesome left rear blinker when I had the original units on. I had to re-terminate the wire in the connector to fix it. Water ingress is also a possibility.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

flasher unit Empty
PostSubject: Re: flasher unit    flasher unit Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

flasher unit
Page 1 of 1