GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Which Switch?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Will be swapping out the oil pressure sensor on my 2012 GRiSO. Doing a bit of research on the correct part, and it seems Moto Guzzi made a running change to the part at some point? Apparently the wire connection is what is changed, and the original part is obsolete. Won't know which one I have until I pull the tank in a day or two. In all honesty, I hate cutting into wiring in an attempt to change connector types. I'm pretty weak when it comes to electrical work, lacking all the fancy crimping tools most modern AMP & Deutsch connectors require. Assuming I have the old sensor, can one be found from another source that fits? I seem to remember reading on the site that an older BMW part is a direct fit? If anyone can point me in the right direction, they could save me some frustration. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 am

Readski!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am

I read that entire post, and got nowhere. One link pulled up gibberish, and considerable searching for the BMW part number listed has also been little help. No exact match, however there are several dozen BMW oil pressure sensors I could throw a dart at! Are there any marking on the, oh never mind, I'll just yank the part and look myself.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 am

Nothing on the switch. If you need the one with the connector type as seen in that thread Tridon TPS 029 I believe is the one we get here but I don't know if you get Tridon products in the USA?
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Well, I got the little bastard out of there! Bit like pulling a rear molar. Mom always said I should have been a dentist. Anyway, it's marked as a BD 978854, which is BD sensors, a German company I think. Can't find an exact match with that part number, but FleaBay shows a BMW switch that fits a ton of their cars (I know, so what?) and "looks" the same with the square socket and the single spade connector. Maybe I'll run the old one by a dealership parts counter and see what they say. I always love the look on their face when they ask "what's it from?" and I say "a Moto Guzzi." Laughing Oh, before I forget, for the yanks here that may not have a 21mm deep offset wrench, or a 21mm crows foot, a 13/16 crows foot wrench fit like it had eyes. Somewhere in my house are a bunch of wrenches and old socks hiding out and laughing at me.
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Pete:  The TPS 029 is the older "nail head" type, or at least I think thats how they are generally referred to, based on the shape of the connector.  Mine has a quick release plastic socket just like the ones used on the fuel injectors.
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Pete, I just went back and re-read your earlier posts. You referenced a TPS 039 in that one. I suspect the TPS 029 you mentioned is just a typo? But yes, the Tridon TPS 039 does appear to be an exact match. I have one on order. Bit of a round-about, but it saves me from breaking out the wire cutters. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 pm

Sorry, yes. I was going from memory. Only difference is that the Tridon part has a bigger hex.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:57 am

Check fleabay, or just google this:

BMW oil pressure 12 61 7 620 512

The switch is out there.

Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

pretty sure BMW series 1 - year 2007 otherwise
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks, I found the BMW part. Now just waiting for it to show up so I can install it. On that subject, in looking over posts about this problem, is there a consensus that the actual switch is the problem or is it the small spade connection? Some here seem to think the switch is fine, but the false oil pressure warnings are caused by a loose connection. In my case, the warning came on as soon as I restarted at a gas station (a hint that it was electrical in nature, and not mechanical?) It went away after another restart a few miles down the road. I was in the middle of a trip, and it was Sunday so everything was closed. I listened to the engine for a few minutes and heard no alarming increase in noise that would indicate no oil to the top end. I decided to "roll the dice" that the indication was false. The whole affair was VERY disconcerting. It could have gone the other way and I'd be the proud owner of a 550 lb. Italian paper weight!
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Used bumwad   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Definitely eyeball that wiring very skeptically, but my money is on the switch.

Mine was gaping down the middle like somebody took a chisel to it. Probably made by the same nice folks who made the turn signal connectors (replaced all), the speedo sensors (replaced four count em FOUR), designed the startusinterruptus circuit, yet to be done, yadayada. Definitely specced and sourced by the same nice folks, a pox on their houses.

Speaking a which, in traffic today, the cluster goes blank, a box pops up....asterisks? Inside: APMG 0022. (I think)

Repeat, in traffic, so my observation and recollection might be Luigi.

I can find no such error code on the interwebz.

Roper? Beetle?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 pm

That message appears when the dash re-boots. It must of lost power for some reason. Did the engine stop or loose power at the same time? If so it's probably the battery terminals and connectors. If not? Check the dash plug as a first step.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 pm

Thank you sir! Will do. No, I had that sinking, am I going to have to go get the trailer feeling, but I detected no hiccups. So I don't bother again, where would I see a list of such codes?

There's a what looks like a very nice Ambo sidekick on CL locally. I hear there's room at Moto Grappa too. Hell, for you, I'll keep it at mine until you can arrange shipping.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 am

rustyrotor wrote:
Thank you sir! Will do. No, I had that sinking,  am I going to have to go get the trailer feeling, but I detected no hiccups. So I don't bother again, where would I see a list of such codes?

The boot code displayed when the dash is fired up is I think just manufacturer specific and basically an irrelevance. If you're looking for a list of the error codes just punch 'Error codes for Moto Guzzi *****' into google it'll bring up several places.

Pete
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:19 am

Motormike wrote:
 In my case, the warning came on as soon as I restarted at a gas station (a hint that it was electrical in nature, and not mechanical?) It went away after another restart a few miles down the road.

If the warning comes on after ignition switch on but before you hit the starter button, this indicates that the pressure switch is open circuited i.e. not closed.  The fact that it doesn't immediately do it again is because the pressure has moved the switch plunger and this time it has closed when the pressure is relieved on switch off. So I would call it a mechanical issue.

Don't worry, it'll do it again.  Replacement is the only cure.
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm

So basically, it's sticking? And sometimes it unsticks?  I suppose Guzzi made the running part change because they knew the existing one was problematic.  Has the newer style switch proven to fix the problem once and for all?  If so, and it happens again, maybe I will break out the wire cutters!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 pm

No, they changed the switch because the new one was a few cents cheaper!
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Pete: What, Piaggio hired a bean counter away from Harley Davidson! No.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which Switch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Switch?   Which Switch? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Which Switch?
Page 1 of 1