GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Finally picked up new GRiSO

Go down 
+4
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
Pete Roper
Donzo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

Finally picked up new GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Well, it took me until my late fifties, after 7 assorted Japanese bikes, to finally buy a brand new 2017 1200 8V SE. What a dream machine!

My day 1 ride was really about running in the bike but after 140 Km’s, I sure had a big smile on my face despite some rather conservative riding. The Termignoni pipe I opted for looks and sounds great although at lower speeds the bike seemed a tad sluggish. Guess I need a Beetlemap done as several folks have advised.

Going to add a Dart Marlin flyscreen soon although the GRiSO sure is fine in it’s naked state in the hot August air of Canada. Cold air is coming soon enough though. Now, I need to review my manual to learn what the red blinking light is on the on the display with the bike in locked mode using key. Also, wondering about setting up my 5 digit code too or perhaps this is not mandatory. Any feedback regarding either of these points is definitely welcomed!

Donzo
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:03 pm

The flashing red triangle just shows that the immobiliser is working.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Donzo wrote:
Also, wondering about setting up my 5 digit code too or perhaps this is not mandatory.

Not mandatory, but highly recommended. Just choose a number that you can recall, difficult if it gets lost. Some folks use the last five digits of the VIN number or their social security number, but as long as you can remember, any number is better than 00000.
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks Pete and Kiwi Dave!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:16 pm

What's wrong with 00000? Easy to remember...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 pm

But if you use that you get the annoying 'Don't forget to enter your user code' message at every key on.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Increment by 1?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 pm

ThT'll do it but it's not very secure is it?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:53 am

Says the man who revealed his user code to the great unwashed recently....

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:43 am

Who wants my old shitter?

1.) it's a Moto Guzzi.

2.) it's old.

3.) I have farted on its seat.

You'd have to be mad! Razz
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 am

OK. Manual is not clear on this but If I understand correctly, once I enter a unique code, then I must enter it EVERY time I start my bike. I didn’t really get the sense that most folks are doing this...

Hmmm. If this is the case, I may forego this in favor of other security measures.
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:14 am

No. Code is entered only once. You need it to enter specific menus. That’s it Wink

Enjoy and ride safe Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
What's wrong with 00000? Easy to remember...

Just what I did. Then entered 1111. It still wants a code, so fuck it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:29 pm

If you are being asked to enter your user code every time you attempt to start the bike it is because the key is not being recognised by the dashboard. The commonest reason for this is because the antenna surrounding the ignition switch is broken.

Richard. You do not need a User code to enter any of the diagnostic menus. To do that you need to scroll to 'Diagnosis' in the main menu and then enter the Diagnostic code which is listed in the forum header 12425.

Donzo. No you don't have to enter your user code every time you start the bike. Once entered the dash will automatically recognise the key, (Providing the antenna is working.) and the bike will start the same as any other vehicle. All it is is another, simple, level of security. If someone tries to steal the bike by forcing the ignition it will usually damage the antenna, (And of course not having a chip there is nothing for the dash to recognise.). If this occurs the dashboard will not allow the bike to be started but will display a message asking that the user code be entered. If the person attempting to start the bike can enter the memorised user code the dash assumes that they are the owner allowing them to start the bike and ride it home or to a repair shop or whatever. If they can't enter the user code the bike won't start and can't be ridden.

This also applies if the antenna fails for any other reason. If you don't have a code entered or don't know what it is you're calling a tow truck. An expensive occurrence best avoided in my book.

Having a user code installed does allow you to do other stuff like program extra keys etc. as well and putting one in also gets rid of the annoying 'Do not forget to insert your user code' message that will appear on the dash at every start up. While that message goes away after ten seconds or so and doesn't interfere with the running of the bike having it there would irritate the shit out of me! Very Happy

Last edited by Pete Roper on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Donzo
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Donzo

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Very helpful information Pete - thanks a lot. Moto Guzzi should commission you to update the manual which is a bit lacking as far as this new owner is concerned.

Anyone that says old farts aren’t valuable is misinformed!!!

Donzo
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks for the clarifications !
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh, also, as long as you have two keys you can choose a new user code even if you don't know the one currently in the bike.

Get both the keys and go to the bike. Turn its ignition on and in the main menu you will find 'Change the code' which is what you pick if there isn't already a code and you have the 'Don't forget' message on start up or, if you know the current user code but wish to change it for some reason. Then there is also an option for 'Code recovery'.

This is for in case of you not knowing the user code for your bike BUT if you have two keys the dash will think that since you do you are likely to be the owner so it will allow you to insert a new code of your choosing.

Pick 'Code recovery' and the dash will tell you to 'Insert second key'. Remover the first key and within twenty seconds, (The dash has a count-down. It's like defusing a bomb in 'Mission Impossible'!) Insert the second one. The dash will recognise the second key, (Unless it's a clone.) and then tell you to insert the new code. Once you have inserted the last numeral the dash will revert to the main menu, you can retreat out of the menu function and the new code will be saved. Write the bugger down and don't forget to give it to the next owner if you sell the bike or I'll be having to explain this again to another batch of new owners next bloody year! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

3.) I have farted on its seat.

I too, have farted on your GRiSO's seat. The Stelvio, as well.

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm

A fart-fest! The bikes are useless now.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Pete,

I'm curious how the perps who stole Pinko from Greg's house managed to start and run the bike with a screwdriver. It looks like at some point they wired in a new ignition switch, but how did they get past all of these coded security measures?

Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally picked up new GRiSO   Finally picked up new GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Finally picked up new GRiSO
Page 1 of 1