GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Firdt ride impressions

Go down 
+6
kiwi dave
LUCKY DAVE
usedtobefast
rick pope
Pete Roper
wrrhen
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Firdt ride impressions Empty
PostSubject: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 pm

I just purchased a nice used GRiSO. A little background. I haven't Ridden a bike over 400 lbs for over 4 yrs. So I expected an adjustment period to get used to the weight. The one thing thst caught me by surprise is the terrible turn in on the bike. It has Michlin Pilot road 4 tires and I don't think they are for me. My stornello Has Conti road attac 3 and they were a huge improvement. TIA over the oems. I talked to a guy that had a GRiSO that he had changed his michlins for Dunlop Q3+ and said the bike was so much more nimble. I don't want to start a year long tire thread but I would like a couple of opinions from guys that ride rather aggressively on twisties TIA
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Are you sure the pressures are correct. If the front is low it will flop into corners like a shot hippo.
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes, they are maybe 1 psi over
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Try different tyres and drop the forks to five rings showing. See if that hurries it up. 36 front 38 rear is what I run.

Oh, and if the steering head bearings are dry it'll never feel good.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:13 am

Hmmm. Rider weight should be considered when airing tires. I find 40-41 psi works best in the front on mine. Let it drop to 38 and it is very noticeable, and requires more effort to initiate a turn. But then, at 6'2", I'm short for my weight........ Shocked
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 am

Also check your rear shock spring preload. Stock the rear spring is a bit soft. With the proper spring and proper preload it turns in as good as zippy bikes (like a KTM superduke). But never going to be a Ninja 400. Smile
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Well, after riding it around for a couple of days the back does seem soft and a little bouncy. I got an extra spring with it. The box is race tech but there is 2 different numbers on it. In bold type it is SRSP 5818116 and in smaller print below that it is RT SK SPR 58 2x178 11 6kg 114N. The guy I got the bike from is about my same weight so I guess I'll put that spring install on my to-do List. But the bouncing seems to me like a weak shock. Obviously lots of details to look after to get everything to suit me.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:15 pm

I have Q3+'s on mine, they suit the bike very well.
I'm not a fan of Michelin tires in general, the sudden breakaway with little feedback standard with Michelins is inferior to other brands behavior. Their car tires are the same (I race sports cars)
If tires feel like crap I don't care how long they might last, I throw them away.
I changed the miserable PR4's on my RTWC for Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, they're great.
Back to top Go down
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:17 pm

BTW I also have Q3+ on my Tuono, 1290 Superduke, and Ducati Supersport.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm

LUCKY DAVE wrote:
I changed the miserable PR4's on my RTWC for Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, they're great.

My GRiSO came with Metzeler Sportec M3 as standard when new. After enduring 10,000 painful kMs I swapped them out for Michelin PR4 GTs. The improvement was substantial.

If Dunlop Roadsmart 3's are that much better, I'll consider them for my next set. However, I'm skeptical about tyre threads, even though I'm contributing to one.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
LUCKY DAVE wrote:

My GRiSO came with Metzeler Sportec M3 as standard when new.  After enduring 10,000 painful kMs I swapped them out for Michelin PR4 GTs.  The improvement was substantial.

If Dunlop Roadsmart 3's are that much better, I'll consider them for my next set.  However, I'm skeptical about tyre threads, even though I'm contributing to one.

I agree on both of those points.  Wink

Seriously, while I read the moto-rag objective tests and subjective personal reviews on tires, the only thing that really matters is our own personal experiences.  Moreover, the technical progress in motorcycle tires has been seemingly exponential, so writing off or slavishly sticking to one brand is, IMO, unwise.

All of that said, I have been mightily impressed with the dry and wet performance of the MPR4GT's on my GRiSO and Norge.  They have saved me from my incompetence on several occasions.   Embarassed  Wink  cheers

The OP's experience was interesting and I trust that he suspension tweaks and other suggestions are the answer rather than new rubber.

1921!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm

So now you are Bill Bill, Bill?
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:06 pm

As others have said, tire condition, tire pressure and suspension setup have serious impact on a GRiSO's handling. That said, also owning a Stornello, you can't make a comparison or have the same expectations, particularly for low speed turn in and response. You will appreciate the long wheelbase and stability the GRiSO provides a hotter speeds and more demanding roads. Take the time to get your suspension dialed in, make sure your tires are fresh and at the best pressures and enjoy! There are several threads on suspension setup.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
So now you are Bill Bill, Bill?

Lordy.

I am struggling to explain that brain cramp. Embarassed

Only One Bill -- for which Kathi queen Wink -- is grateful.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm

I couldn't live with another me either! One of us would die, and badly.
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Try different tyres and drop the forks to five rings showing. See if that hurries it up. 36 front 38 rear is what I run.

OK  I'm confused when you say drop the forks to 5 rings. I'm assuming you loosen the fork clamps and move the forks up in the clamps. The forks already have 1/2 inch from the top fork clamp to the bottom of the red cap on the fork and I only see one ring so far. There are 3 rings showing on the adjuster that goes down through the red cap but I'm assuming that's just spring preload. Is there a bunch of rings hidden behind the top clamp that I can't see? Because lowering the clamps another half inch seems fairly low and doesn't look like it's going to uncover 4 more rings
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:08 pm

check page 125 of the pdf: Standard adjustment 4 projection notches, Racing adjustment 5 projection notches

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

although, I think having 1/2 inch from the bottom of the cap, should have uncovered 3 notches + something.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I rode my GRiSO today ... it went through twists like a twisty thing Very Happy

Stock I was "whoa nelly" going into turns, just figured the big beast needed all sorts on inputs and I had to live with it.

But no ... with proper springs, and preload, and maybe my revalving helped a bit, it drops into corners and twist and turns same as a KTM 990 SuperDuke.

Oh, the number Roper mentioned was fork spring preload rings. He is suggesting you lessen the preload on the front fork springs.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Here are my notes/post on rear spring preload:

For wording, I like "bike sag" and "rider sag" as it makes sense to me ... some call this "static sag" and "race sag", but I ain't racing. Smile

I had read many versions of the "right" thing to do, here are 4 I found:

Source 1 - Bike sag = 11mm; Rider sag = 27-33mm
Source 2 - Bike sag = 10mm; Rider sag = 30-35mm
Source 3 - Bike sag = 3-5mm; Rider sag = 33-35mm
Source 4 - Bike sag = 10mm; Rider sag = 30 mm

So I ended up with Bike sag = 10 mm, and Rider sag = 29mm
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

I set my forks with 5 rings out the top of the top clamp and checked my tire pressures and went for a 200 mile test ride. I have new Q3+ tires but have not installed them yet. I'm trying to change one thing at a time. The handling, though better with the forks like they are is still very disconcerting. I'm wondering about your comment on the steering head bearings. Do you think this is a somewhat common problem w/20000 miles? I used to have a X9 Piaggio 500 that would get notchey brgs every 10k miles and it became very unstable handling
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firdt ride impressions   Firdt ride impressions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Firdt ride impressions
Page 1 of 1