GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Twin Plug Coils

Go down 
+3
kiwi dave
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Well I could get one new coil, and I did. Turns out (jury is still out, mind) the left coil was dodgy. Replaced, and stuffed up a few other things, before I got it right. Thankfully, some weeks back when all this came to a head, I marked the coils. After mixing up things yesterday, and not plugging in the fuel hose properly, the old girl wouldn't even start.

Turns out I had one good coil and one dead (almost) coil, so starting on one cylinder only is a challenge you don't want to go near, but doable if you have patience.

Parked her last night while I cogitated overnight. This morning, I realised how stuffed up I was yesterday. The dead/dodgy coil ended up in the R/H side. Swapped it out today and she starts and idles. Will give some spirit later to see if I am indeed right.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Weiner!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Went for a run, and those issues seems to be gone - had a hell of a time starting her after an hour or so. Not clean fuelling in the 4.6/4.7 TPS region - though this was there before, just exacerbated by the dodgy coil.

On reflection, it would have been prudent to shell out for the proper injectors at the beginning of last year, instead of the chinesium ones. I have played much with the mapping over the last year and I may have made things worse for myself in the process. I have taken around 40% out of the main fuel map, and some little bits from the idle and warmup maps.

I might see if I can get the original injectors serviced by an injector mob and retry them with the "stable" map from August 2018.

UPDATE! (2/3/20)

Well both of us got to work today in most excellent style. THAT problem is solved, with the replacement coil. You don't realise how bad things were until they are bad no more. Must have been a weak/dodgy spark for quite a while as now the old girl has most excellent get-up-and-go-edness. Fuel consumption seems to have gotten better as well. Idling is steady both cold and hot. Started first go this morning. Me happy!

Thanks to all those who suggested causes, loaned parts, advised where other parts could be found. This site is GOOD!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:17 pm

Yeah, nah. As some of you will know, this problem reared its head again, but different. Beetle advised me of a pair of coils from a wrecked Bellagio for sale, these were purchased and one fitted this morning - on the other side.

Yet to re-assemble and start it...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Waiting with bated breath...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Bike starts and idles, on both cylinders. About to go and put dino juice in her and toddle over to Bunnings to pick up some short bolts. Any excuse will do. Stay tuned...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
More betterer!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Things are grim when you have to buy 2nd hand parts. But hey, there were for sale and the new option is probably 3-6 months away. I think I bought the last new unit in Australia a few weeks back. Mario couldn't understand why I would want 2 x coils - because both of them were shot, that's why!

Again, thanks Mark, for your eagle eyes.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:41 pm

cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:52 pm

I want o say some impolite words, but I can't even be bothered. So so disappointed, the miss is back! Next step is to put the old injectors back in and restore "the ultimate" map from 18 months ago. Then I'll see where that leads.

If that doesn't fix it, it may well be the ECU. Easy to get out - NOT!

ARSE
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 pm

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Compression test and leak down next. Don't forget to disconnect the injectors eh!😆
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks Pete, I'll give these a go as well, after the injectors. I can park my bike on my driveway, which is pretty steep and she just sits there.

Still no stone unturned, until it is solved.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm

I purchased a compression tester yesterday. Work keeps getting in the road of proper stuff (like getting my bike fixed). Hopefully, I will have some bandwidth tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Compression:
Left 134 psi
Right 128 psi

Sounds to me like these are a tad too low.

I haven't down a leakdown test yet as I need an adapter from my compressed air system to the compression testing rig - might check the valve clearances before I get one.

Thoughts Pete?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Methinks rings be fooked as I said on the phone. The last of the 2Valvers seem very gentle on valves and guides.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Gaps on the R/H valves was spot on at 0.1 and 0.15. I suspect the L/H is the same - no change over the last few services, so that at least looks OK.

Incidentally, I noticed the spark on the cranking while compression testing - spark jumps around 20 mm from the cap to the rocker cover - I reckon this is good! Wouldn't want to put your old fella in circuit for THAT test!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 am

Right head is off, cylinder is loose (I'll leave it on until I am ready with new parts). A fair bit of cleaning to do in the meantime...

This is the low side, compression-wise - 128 PSI
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 am

You can see the oil wash on the top of the piston. There is usually a 'Clean' bit on the squish band on the non-Thrust side but as you can see yours are washed clean all the way to the dome.

Get a valve spring compressor and pull the valves and see if they flop around in the guide. As long as you can barely feel slop from side to side when you hold the valve head 1.5cm they're probably good enough. If they move around like a cock in a sock then they will need k-lining. At your mileage though I'd suggest a full head service and at least new exhausts.

I don't have valves in stock but Mario probably will, along with gaskets Guzzi Spares, my other recommended supplier, has closed for personal reasons and I doubt, but don't know, if PS would have valves in stock. I do have rings on the shelf.

One of the problems at the moment will be supply. If stuff needs to come in from overseas it will take considerable time.

My advice right now would be to check the valve seal by pouring petrol into the ports one by one and looking to see how quickly it leaks into the combustion chamber when you hold the head vertical with the port uppermost. You want the combustion chamber dry for at least two seconds. It will be the exhausts that will likely be the worst.

If the valves check out as sealing OK I'd forget the guides for now. Get gaskets, o-rings for the rocker carriers, (There are two around the oil delivery galleries on the late 2V motors rather than 4, one on each stud like the earlier donks.) and just re-ring it. You can easily pull the heads again in another 20-30,000 km and by then, hopefully, this current clusterfuck will of run its course!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Cheers Pete, any idea on the number for the rings?

I have made a list of the parts needed as I know I bought some from JSG a while back, though not all. The balance I'll attempt to get from Mario.

If made from unobtainium, might have to do cludgy work for the interim - head gaskets should be good to go again, maybe, if needed?

I can make some base gaskets if necessary as I have all the punches on hand.

Viton O-Rings should be available from local bearing factor...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm

(Gulp!) ring sets are $250 a side!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 pm

GULP indeed. Hold the mail!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm

I have:

2 x head gaskets
1 x base gasket
4 x viton O-Rings

in my collection - all purchased from JSG before they sold the balance of their stock to Mario.

this will lower the total cost somewhat...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Left side is no better. Sheesh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twin Plug Coils   Twin Plug Coils - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Twin Plug Coils
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next