GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Back wheel nearly off while riding

Go down 
+5
waterbottle
Street
Steak
Papa Lazarou
Camphill
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

Back wheel nearly off while riding  Empty
PostSubject: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 am

Hi There
Thought it best to post, that I had a close one yesterday with my back wheel .
I am still waiting for parts to rollerize my 11 GRiSO  parts on back order since November ,so not riding the bike much , only taking it out for the occasional dustoff . Yesterday got about 1km from the house noticed a bit of rear wheel weave .. went about 500mtrs to next roundabout  to enter the motorway  .. slowed right down and a horrible oscillation came  through the bike . Pulled over expecting a flat .... all good.
3 inchs of lateral  play in the back wheel...WTF... wheel just about hanging on to the CARC. Popped the cover
All four bolts hand loose and nearly out.!
Lucky Lucky me that i didn't hit the motorway

looking through the posts I se its not the first time this has happened ..2014
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bike back to the paddock stand all good no damage to the threads ... Id say the cone shaped spacers saved the threads

No more assumptions ....would be my lesson! No
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:04 am

close call and time for new underwear.
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 am

I'll Try a Nailbrush on the jocks first
Definitely not to be pondered on the what's if's
Was a lucky escape..
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 pm

I'm sure Street will pop in here to reinforce the call to safety wire those lug nuts. We had a fellow Seattle Guzzisti on a Norge (CARC) who lost his rear wheel on Interstate 90 (onramp or otherwise.)

Pete drilled his nutz post haste and has safety wired them ever since.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:19 pm

Is there an image available of the Nutz wired to follow on how its done
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm sure that Street (Pete) will be along before long to respond, or you can PM/Email him directly:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's another option: Easy Peasy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Hey, Camphill,

Yikes, that's a scary situation. As Steak mentioned, one of our local Guzzisti lost the rear wheel on his Norge and it took him down with his wife on the back. Fortunately their injuries weren't too severe, but needless to say, they don't want to repeat that incident. When I did my rear end service I took the opportunity to drill and lockwire my hub bolts. I sleep better at night knowing that's one less thing to worry about.

Pete (Street)

I happen to have a wire twister that I bought years ago at Boeing Surplus - finally found a use for it after all this time.

Here's a good video of a professional jet engine mechanic tying lockwire.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 am

Well done Street Thumbs Up I lockwired the race GRiSO's rear wheel bolts a while back after finding all bolts loose while fitting some new tyres. Its cheap peace of mind
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks for the image and Link . I will have another look at the bolts before I wire them to be sure they are not stretched .
There was no indication at all that anything was off before those couple of KMs of driving so it may have come undone quickly..?
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:06 am

Changed my first back tyre
All but 1 bolt had loosened off to less than 30 ft pound after being check tightened after reading the original thread at around 2000 kms. Lock wire looks the best solution.

While you are at it check the bolt that holds your side stand on. cheers
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Following up on the Bolt,( with time to think about it )   affraid  

I tightened the bolts and ran the bike for 20 mins to warm the oils in the gearbox and shaft so I could change the oil in both today. Torque wrench in hand I was surprised that the came undone too easily !!
Looking  closer at them they are wanked with one of them 5 mm longer than the rest .. as ye can see in the pics .. three were 70.6mm   and one was 75.6 But all the threads look stretched ,Or is it the case that  someone dogged them way  beyond the 110NM spec..and does this mean that the threads inside the unit will be FUBAR too

Also can anyone tell me if these are the correct length as they only seem to go into the CARC unit about 4/5 mm and the threads inside the unit go in about 15mm   ..See images
Cheers
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Spec is 65mm

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Cheers Beetle for the prompt reply...but it only gives about 5mm of grab ...with about 10mm left unused on the threads inside the CARC..
Is this right?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Hmm. I've never checked. Presume it must be right. Curiosity makes me want to check...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:41 pm

The bolts in the wheel image shows all the purchase of the bolts as my fingers are pushing them all the way through ...it doesn't look enough to me for the load
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Camphill, the threads on your bolts look pretty gammy to me and seems like someone went nuts with a big bad ass air gun.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never had a bolt loosen on the GRiSO or Stelvio (YET) always fit my own wheels and torque them dry without any lube.

I am not sure about the 5 mm of grab (seems a bit on the stingy side) but like Beetle May have to check!

I would order some new bolts for peace of mind,
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Bored, so I checked. As Mark stated 65mm, mine has about 11mm of engagement.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 pm

I checked mine too. I measured 6.45mm of engagement. I used a Tony Mowbray Wheel Alignment Pin™.
I screwed the pin into as far as it would go.

Measured length of alignment pin protruding was 7.96mm.

Alignment pin total length = 68.98
Wheel bolt (including conical bush) shank + thread = 54.57

68.98 - 54.57 - 7.96 = 6.45

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 am

I just smeared some Prussian blue on the end of the threads and let it mark its progress.
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks to all for the reply's and photos
Guzzicat yes definitely new bolts ... The ones that came with the bike appear to be different to Beetle's ,10 mm shorter and I assume that they are the same spec Brembo wheels (look the same)so
I only have about 6,5mm or about 4 threads of engagement with the Carc unit. Is that enough with all that thump and lash going on?
They get tight very soon after threading so it would be easy to overdo it and stretch the bolts .

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:36 am

Those bolts are too short. Replace them.

I can't quite get my head around why I measured approximately the same amount of engagement with mine, when yours are 10mm too short?

I've had 50K kms on mine without any issue, so I'm not worried. Just curious.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:03 pm

New bolts arrived from the UK and solved this one for me . The  bolts that came in the bike are definitely not the spec bolts . They are too short and also a finer thread that they should be . Thankfully they were of a softer steel that that  inside the CARC so stretched out until they got max engagement at only 5mm  in and then wrung out .
These were hardly in there from day one ... ? The bike has 9000 miles on it but could be on its first tyre still. There's plenty of thread on it .
Not having a Guzzi Dealer in the country is a more likely cause ...I could be just unlucky/lucky  as it could just be the work of a Dipshit
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Camphill wrote:
Not having a Guzzi Dealer in the country is a more likely cause ...I could be just unlucky/lucky  as it could just be the work of a Dipshit

It’s one thing for the bolts to come loose but it’s unforgivable that some ”dipshit” would give a bike with the wrong wheel bolts to another person. Lucky that you found out in time, I would check the front wheel also! Sometimes your better off having to do the work yourself.

Mega Bikes in Dublin are now selling new Guzzis and AMI / Overlanders in Gorey but I don’t think they are official guzzi dealers.
Back to top Go down
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:12 am

Definitely...
Rollercam kit finally on the way from Holland
I'd say the virus in Italy will make it even harder to get it now .
Back order since November

Next job..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back wheel nearly off while riding    Back wheel nearly off while riding  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Back wheel nearly off while riding
Page 1 of 1