GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Simplify electronics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Simplify electronics Empty
PostSubject: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am

I've installed a Trailtech speedo rev counter etc and mounted it and a Gamin navigation device over the original unit.

I assume that the original has to be retained due to the incorperated electronics.
I would though like to delete the electronic systems that I have no use for.
I'd like to disable the electronic component of the key system.

I've installed a circuit breaker under the seat which disables the electrical system
and I make a habit of locking my bike to a post or similar,
as the commonest way of stealing a bike is to lift it into the back of a van.

The system that turns the bike off if it is on its side also seems like one more thing to go wrong so I'll bin it if feasible.

Any suggestions as to how to streamline the electronic systems would be appreciated.
The bike is intended as a long distance tourer so the less things to go wrong the better.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:38 am

I'd have to say that the most likely cause of electrical failure is likely to be chopping into the loom or installing bypasses for systems you don't like. Generally speaking the wiring and electronics on CARC Guzzis cause few problems. The commonest issue is the 'Startus Interuptus' fail which is easily addressed.

Many of us have toured extensively on Grisos and other CARC models and I can't think of any stories offhand of people being stranded by failures of the electronics. I do tend to think you may be making a rod for your own back. Not a criticism. Simply a warning.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm with Pete on this. Seems like a lot of work for fear of something that may go wrong, but likely won't. The immobiliser system works just fine, and you'll need to overcome the signal sent to the ECU from the instruments that prevents engine start. The tip-over engine cut-out is a safety feature that I've had the unpleasant experience of utilising, but am thankful for.

While I'm all for people modifying there bikes, I feel this project is one I can't support.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:21 pm

I just fear that a rod is being made for his own back. I'd happily hop on my GRiSO this morning and set off for Perth without giving the electronic side of things a second thought. In all my years of working on Guzzis, from the 1970's until now, the times when either electrical, (Other than charging.) issues have arisen or failures have occurred it is invariably caused by people hacking about the original loom. I just think that in doing so you introduce more potentially problematic areas.

YOMV
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:42 pm

At the moment the original system is unaltered. I've simply run further wires from the senders to the new indicator lights.

If there were a cluster from another Guzzi that didn't have the gender issues that the GRiSO does (am I analogue or digital, AC or DC)
with the usual result of something that's not very attractive. I'd look to replace it with a compatible Guzzi cluster.
To my mind it lets down a bike that has a classic look.

Really the only thing I'd really like to do without is the electronic key identification.

I have two keys but if I lose both there is apparently no way of getting the bike mobile.
Since I have other security systems I simply do not need that too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simplify electronics   Simplify electronics Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Simplify electronics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: