GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels

Go down 
+24
Street
Birch
GUZ21
Grisonut
spanner
plantboy
little750
sgw01
Steak
wardest
grisorosso
Ahdammit
beetle
mark111
tocino
Guzziboy66
Pete Roper
Scot p
Uzidzit
Canyon Carver
Oz1200Guzzi
DungeonMaster
pauldaytona
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 am

yes the difference of lighter wheels is amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Before it is removed: check out Bella at 8:34

Last edited by ghezzi on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:43 am

Looked quicker than some of the other characters. Some serious tackle not being ridden there Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:04 am

Never understood the SBK or MotoGP technique of stop, turn, point and squirt. Riding Guzzi's for so long with the only way to corner was to set up from a long way out and use sweeping lines.
Take a packed lunch while you waited for it to turn. I don't suggest I now have an RC211V or M1, but Bella now goes so deep into corners before bothering to turn, then just changes direction so quick and easy, with such precision. Getting on the gas so much sooner and just firing it out of the corner, I now have some perception of what they are talking about.

Pete, better bring the Blue Whale to Qld so I can see what all this GRiSO fuss is about, meanwhile .......................... take Bella for a long flog.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing Wayne.  I think the vid shows the flavour of last Saturday very well but the road surface roughness is hard to capture.  Bella sounded very sweet followed closely by the little NSR. I  spoke with the NSR rider at registration and he told me he had never seen the road before - reckon the poor bastard must have been bucked around quite a bit.  

Even noticed a bit of vision of the V7 at Rathdowney.  I rode in a group much later in the day when there were more spectators on the lower part of the course, and after the two minor 'offs'.  I had plans for riding the G on Sunday, but that was not to be.  Plenty of time now to practice for next year.  But what to do about those wallopers north of the border??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Ah, was yours the black or green V7 with the Conti replicas?
Best part of the ride was following the 2-stroke for awhile. Sounds and smells good.

I've spent a lot of time trying to dial in Bella's suspenders for roads like that, especially corrugated apexes. Now I can accelerate over them instead of skipping sideways.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Wayne, even a "still" right at the end!
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:57 pm

The matt black stone belongs my wife. It's dead stock but due for some after-market suspenders and a Dart flyscreen. The way you describe Bella handling rough roads with corrugated apexes is just how I had my Shiver set up with Matris cartridges and rear shock. The Shiver was perfect for roads like the Lions, alas I sold it off in June to finance my GRiSO. My G with stock suspension is just adequate but needs work be truly fun on the Lions. Unfortunately, i won't be able fund serious suspension improvements for some time.Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:02 am

I have a spare GRiSO shock with a choice of springs and re-valved.
Surplus to my needs now, yours for $100 - good interim until you can afford a real shock.

Meanwhile, I swapped bikes with a mate today, and rode his Chris Pheiffer F800 Beemer round Beechmont loop.
Bella is definitely the lighter steerer of the two.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:49 pm

ghezzi wrote:
I have a spare GRiSO shock with a choice of springs and re-valved.
Surplus to my needs now, yours for $100 - good interim until you can afford a real shock.

Meanwhile, I swapped bikes with a mate today, and rode his Chris Pheiffer F800 Beemer round Beechmont loop.
Bella is definitely the lighter steerer of the two.

Wayne, PM sent
Back to top Go down
spanner
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
spanner

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi, ghezzi, and others my first post here Very Happy

I have not a GRiSO Sad  but a pair of BST`s on my Berg so we do have something in common.

They are the 7 spoke SM version and have been on for about 4 years now.

I am particularly interested in this changing of drive hub as the SM 7 spokers do not
have a cush drive, and I am more than a bit worried that something, either gearbox
or crankshaft will eventually fail due to excessive shock being transmitted through
the chain drive...
I tried talking to BST about it a few years ago but got the impression they were not
interested in helping for the obvious reasons.

I am quite excited to see ghezzi has been brave enough to tackle the hub removal
process Cool

ghezzi, now you have removed that cush drive unit I was wondering if you would
part with it as I have a need of one such unit Smile  " if " the offset for the sprocket is correct
of coarse or close enough to be adjusted.  PM me if you think we can do a deal Cool
Will help reduce the overall cost of your project...  slightly Smile

I am happy to remove the hub as my trade is in toolmaking and understand most of the
process you have explained,  except perhaps the braking of the bond part scratch  was thinking of knocking out the bearing and
milling the complete hub away Shocked

ghezzi you have my sympathies as  I also suffer from the dreaded compulsive modification disorder and have been diagnosed as chronic Embarassed

Cheers spanner
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Spanner,
Ring me 0400816885 or 07 31228776

Wayne
Back to top Go down
spanner
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
spanner

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Very nice talking to you Wayne, Thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Bella goes into hospital next week for a pre- plastic steel surgery check up.
Niccom engineering will look at cut-n-shut of the chromed V7 tank tunnel.
An unmodified tank can be made to fit if I remove the stock air box and fit pod filters, however I have been led to believe that EFI functions better with a still air box, so I will go the other way.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm

ghezzi wrote:

An unmodified tank can be made to fit if I remove the stock air box and fit pod filters, however I have been led to believe that EFI functions better with a still air box, so I will go the other way.

Good plan. I'm sure it could be made to work with pods, but there is the intake air temp sensor to consider, so an air box is always a good idea IMO.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:11 am

Just did some measuring with electronic gadgets.
Rake is now 25.8°
Ground Trail is 77mm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Just filled the shrunken V7 tank, 17.25 litres which gives me a range of 300-340km.

Photos to follow one day soon, time to ride ..................... between the showers.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Can't wait to see how she looks mate, what colour, flat black?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:46 pm

At the moment it is Roper - Chrass Chrome.

Last edited by ghezzi on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Oh no, that would really draw some odd looks. Rolling Eyes  But hey, aren't you supposed to be out test riding between showers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Showers are here, just waiting for "between".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:35 pm

As promised a photo of Bella in new clothes, in her natural habitat. Thank you Mr Roper.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />

Just did the border loop, Mt Lindsey and The Lions Rd, went past Gil's place (plantboy) but he wasn't home. Total trip was 286km, reserve light came on at 190km, av. 5.1L/100k. I should still have 2.75 litres left.

The reserve light sender unit is basically a brass rod attached to what looks like an old points condenser. Might see if I can lower it an inch, as a 10litre main tank and 7 litre reserve is a gross imbalance.

Last edited by ghezzi on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Ooooh my eyes! Hope you aren't distracted by the glare or from checking your reflection in that tank. Laughing  But I do love the look and the shape of it - really works with the rest of the bike imo.  Apart from the chrome, do you like it? 

My experience with the V7 fuel reserve is similar, with the light coming on far too early,.  Sorry I missed you but I was out doing a 200 km loop through Lismore, Mullum, Nimbin etc on jan's V7 Stone.  A lot of bikes on the road and even spied a Hwy Patrol Commode on the Kyogle Rd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

I can't see the tank when riding due to the chin piece of my full face helmet, have to check for reflection sunburn under my gills. Hoping to buy a Schubert flip front soon, could be interesting.

Taking photos is a challenge to avoid your own distorted reflection. "Does my arse really look that big"?
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

I think i missed your first ph call when I was leaving Nimbin.  Only just checked message bank now..... alas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels   ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels - Page 6 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ghezzi tech: the quest for lighter wheels
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next