GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

boiling my knee

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Acidbiker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Acidbiker

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi everyone.
I purchased a 2008 1200 GRiSO last year. It runs pretty good. I have sorted a couple of problems, the Hunting in low gear is annoying but I'll sort that at a latter date. But my main concern is the heat it is putting out of the left cylinder, I have to ride with my left knee sticking out as it is very uncomfortable. I don't seem to have the problem on the RH side. Is this a common problem/characteristic of this bike? Thanks for any advise.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:01 pm

The left cylinder sits slightly rearward of the right cylinder. Your knee is likely touching the valve cover. I have the same problem when I wear my Aerostitch pants (armored). Other pants, no issues.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Are the throttle bodies balanced correctly? Has it been rollerised?
Back to top Go down
Acidbiker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Acidbiker

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 am

I balanced the Throttle bodies a few weeks ago. As for rollers I have paperwork from the seller that shows the work has been done but I am going to check for myself. The bike has done 14000 miles. Would having tappers and not rollers cause it to overheat? Guess I will wear my leathers and not my armoured jeans. Thanks for replies guys.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:02 am

Check. There was a recall on early bikes that involved a swap from cast iron to forged steel flat tappets. The latter having a DLC coating.

This is NOT Rollerisation.

If the throttle bodies have been pissed about with who knows how it will be running and what heat it will make.

Check if it's rollerised and send up some pics of the throttle stop screws and linkage rod ball joints so I can see if they've been buggered about with.
Back to top Go down
Acidbiker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Acidbiker

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am

Not sure if these pics will show anything.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:15 am

Regardless of the above heat on the left knee is an issue. I'm having my spare seat worked by Sargent to sharpen the rise to the pillion and flatten the driver's area. That should give a couple of inches for the left knee as well as some wiggle room for longer trips. Stock the seat seems to keep pushing me forward,
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:10 am

Acidbiker, I too have noticed more heat on the left side compared to the right.
I don't start to notice unpleasant heat until the air temps are in the upper 80s (F). My 2011 engine has the stock map and exhaust. It runs really well in my opinion. The spark plugs are clean, and correct color. It's rollered and gets great fuel economy for the stock map. I've decided the left side feels hotter some times because both header pipes exit on the left side. That's the only reason I can come up with. My point is your experience is not unique. I'd be curious if anyone discovers the actual cause. One time it was really noticeable and I realized I had a strong cross wind from the right. Obviously that is not always the case. I've never noticed a time when the right side felt hotter but many times it's equal. My knees are close to the covers but don't touch. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Acidbiker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Acidbiker

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:01 pm

yes it has roller followers. now i gotta find a way to upload some pics as obviously they are not here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

boiling my knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: boiling my knee   boiling my knee Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

boiling my knee
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: