GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gertler
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
gertler

Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Empty
PostSubject: Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!   Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a real pickle...I recently took my battery out and when I put it back in I accidentally reversed the wires(positive to negative terminal, negative to positive). It was just for a second as I saw the lights come on and realized I made a mistake. Switched them back around and now it won't start! Everything comes on as it should and I can hear the fuel pump, etc. But no start now. My heart sunk and now I'm feeling sick. Did I fry the computer?! Any ideas? Chad
Back to top Go down
gertler
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
gertler

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!   Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Ok, never mind...After I panicked and calmed down I checked the fuses and found one of the two green 30 AMP fuses near the battery that was blown. Put in the handy extra they have there and all is well. Shhwoo, close one. I'd always heard horror stories of guys jumping cars and reversing the polarity and frying the computer. So my instant thought was that I was screwed. I do thank God that didn't happen! This was my first post and now that I've broken the ice maybe I can be more active on here. Always reading never writing. But maybe now I can throw my two cents in!
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!   Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Good save!

Yeah, fuses and circuit breakers are there to protect the wiring, computers being another thing.

As long as you did not let any of the smoke out, smoke being very difficult to put back in.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!   Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:23 am

It doesn't show it on this diagram but the main injection relay (item 28) has a diode inside it for just that happening.
It won't turn on and power up the ECU if the battery is backwards, they used to call it the Safety Diode on earlier fuel injected bikes
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can see it on this Norge schematic, its a similar bike. Item (29)

I think its a bit silly using a special relay, the diode should be outside between the socket and chassis like they had on earlier bikes, then you could have all the same relay.
This pre 2000 for example.  Item (48)
Even earlier they had the diode inside the P8 ECU, I replaced a couple of those when the owner accidentally fried it somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!   Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Reverse Polarity, Put Battery in Wrong!
Page 1 of 1