GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!

Go down 
+14
motor-timothy
kiwi dave
Bulldog9
SMTCapeCod
T-griso
Grisonut
tom collins
Holger
paulbrice
odder
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Pete Roper
scagliog
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scagliog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
scagliog

Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Empty
PostSubject: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm

I was waiting ( and possibly saving money ) for the "Guzzi del Centenario".... maybe a new V85 engine stretched to 1000cc with maybe 90/100 HP... put on a new roadster ... (or a new 1200 engine for a serious GRiSO)..
Another V7???? With a down powered V85 engine to awesome 65 HP ? I have a V7 for the city and it is a great 'nimble' bike, no need for an 850cc or you should get a V9!

I think this new Guzzi will just make our GRiSO even more valuable!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--Giuseppe
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:23 pm

The V85 already makes low-mid sixties HP. Making it any more feeble would be pointless.

The Smallblock platform can't be taken out to much more capacity. Any larger motor will have to be a 'Clean Sheet' design. There are just too many things that prevent it. You can't stroke it because the rods will biff the cam lobes. You have the huge problem of crankshaft pressurisation and oil expulsion through the breather system. The case itself was designed for a 20HP power output. You can't, reliably, expect it to hold together if it's asked to handle big power outputs and a pushrod operated OHV system, especially one using only two valves per cylinder, is never going to make 'Modern' HP figures, and I'm not talking top of the range sportsbike figures, I'm talking 'Industry Standard' output of 85hp/litre.

Sadly it seems that Guzzi is now a 'Retro' brand designed to appeal to hipsters and 'Get off my lawn' type Old White Men who want to ride something that looks like the two wheeled equivalent of a coelacanth!

Shame.
Back to top Go down
scagliog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
scagliog

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:29 pm

I actually was looking at an adventurer... and I test drove the V85 from a friend of mine... I don't know just did not quite do it for me. I know I should not be comparing it with the GRiSO.. it does look good, but there is something missing... even in the Adventurers space... Maybe I should go back and look at a used Stelvio!

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:14 pm

If it makes even 55HP I’d be impressed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

I can't see it being any less powerful than the V85 unless it's by design. Once the parts lists are available it'll be a simple matter to compare the relevant part numbers of things like the camshaft.

My guess is that there will be few if any changes to any components and any differences in performance will be down to mapping and pipe/airbox combinations. Unless of course the new bike retains the MUIG3 with its weedy choke size in which case I'd be surprised if it makes more than a minuscule amount more anything than the current model.

Have any details on it's fueling system been released yet?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:10 pm

It's not the same engine. It's based on the V85tt engine the blurb says.

So claims the hype:

Quote :
as the most modern engine build from Mandello.

It's still a 2 valve push rod engine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:02 pm

"After years of great success, a new V7 is born.
The new, high-performance, 850cc, 65 hp engine makes its début"

So is it new, or improved? Is it a V7 or a V85? So confusing...

When is a V7 not a V7? When it's a V7 with an 850 cc engine.
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Seams like a good idea. Maybe 10+yrs late? V7 racer or Stornello would have been a good place to debut the V7(8 1/2)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 pm

Ten years too late? How about thirty years too late. Even that is being conservative. It's a two valve, pushrod operated OHV motor. The fact it only got a hemispherical combustion chamber three or four years ago is a disgrace. Especially for a company with a fantastic history of innovation like Guzzi.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:04 am

I think they are in 'milk what you already have' spending mode....with only a 10 year window before (new) petrol engined vehicles are banned, all the R&D money is being hoovered into electric development

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:33 am

Or any alternative fuel technology. I hope so. For the sake of the planet and my non-existent grandchildren.....
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:52 am

but where does Father Christmas go with the 1400 Moto Guzzi ???

Gruß
Holger
Back to top Go down
tom collins
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
tom collins

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:18 am

I have the v85 adv. and find it is just a little tall for me, other then that, I am very pleased with it. I should be OK for the next few years, but later? In spite of not being overly tall at 5' 8", I found the v7 series to be a little cramped for me. So, I think at a sub $10,000 price with a slightly enlarged frame, this could be a nice machine for a few riders. 65 hp certainly won't having anyone beating a path to the door, but if the engine feel is as satisfying as the power delivery on the V85, some folks might find that it is enough. I don't like any of the other retro style bikes such as the Triumph because of the water cooling so am willing to give up the ponies for a more pure look.

lcjohnny and Gunnar like this post

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:05 pm

The V7 should have come with the 850 mil in the first place.
Sadly, it's obvious that Piaggio has no interest in making the Guzzi brand more appealing or at least somewhat competitive.
They only have two engines to choose from for all 4 models in current production basically...a 850cc and 1400. lol
Back to top Go down
tom collins
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
tom collins

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 am

Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I think MG made a marketing error with the V9 series. Maybe in Europe it was more loved. I can only say that they blew the last few hundred out at fire sale prices. Where I am going with this is to agree that they should have just put the V9 engine in the existing V7. I am told that the bottom ends of all the small blocks are the same, so it couldn't have been real difficult. I tried a V9 and the engine is really a marvel.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:08 am

tom collins wrote:
Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I think MG made a marketing error with the V9 series.  Maybe in Europe it was more loved.  I can only say that they blew the last few hundred out at fire sale prices.  Where I am going with this is to agree that they should have just put the V9 engine in the existing V7.  I am told that the bottom ends of all the small blocks are the same, so it couldn't have been real difficult.  I tried a V9 and the engine is really a marvel.

You were told wrong.
Back to top Go down
T-griso
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
T-griso

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 pm

I am just glad they’re still in business😂 Not a given, these days.
Been waiting forever for some spare parts from Italy..

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Will be interesting to see how much weight came with the additional HP.  Might be fun though.  V7 seems to do an OK job of mitigating anemic output with excellent choice of gearing. IMO.  It was the 'mere adequacy' of my V7 III powertrain that prompted me to think about GRiSO. That and the transmission noise that sounds similar to the straight-cut gears in my old GTO's muncie transmisson. I guess these days I should stipulate that by 'old gto', I mean '67, not '05....
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am

Total speculation on my part, but it looks as though the TB and likely the ECU in the new 850 V7 is the same as the outgoing V7, as it only has TC, no throttle maps, no ride by wire, or cruise control. This would account for the lower power as the TB on the outgoing V7 is 20MM smaller than that on the V85. This would account for the 'lower' power output. I also imagine the motor is tuned for better mid/low end torque and losing some of the power up top.

Like many, I am hoping for V85 variants like a V 85 Lemans, or something similar with heritage. Will be interesting to see how things turn out. If they don't do a Lemans or similar, I am also hoping for a 'sport' version of the Stone with a better suspension, bright paint, matching front and rear painted fenders and side covers. I could add one of those ;-)

Any revisiting of the GRiSO should be at least 1000cc's and at least 100HP. Unlikely given the way Guzzi is going. So glad to have my GRiSO and 1200 Sport, likely the last 'new' Guzzi's I will own. The 1200Sport has the touring duty, and GRiSO the fun day trip thuggery, or whatever I can fit in my tailbag. Would be nice to have something lighter yet sporting/capable in the coming years.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 am

Bulldog9 wrote:
Would be nice to have something lighter yet sporting/capable in the coming years.

Go and get a test ride on an Indian FTR1200S. I did, and couldn't stay away!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:05 pm

I've never understood the V85 when you already have so many great adventure bikes like the Triumph Tigers and the BMW GS's. But apparently its MG's top selling model in 2020 so what do I know. However I must say that none of the new non-cruiser guzzi's do much for me. A new V70 is disappointing.

Hopefully one day they will do a GRiSO v2 with ABS and enough grease in the bearings. Laughing

moby likes this post

Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:26 am

kiwi dave wrote:
Bulldog9 wrote:
Would be nice to have something lighter yet sporting/capable in the coming years.

Go and get a test ride on an Indian FTR1200S.  I did, and couldn't stay away!

I did do a test ride of the FTR1200s, and pretty much Indians entire line up, The FTR definitely made it onto my next bike list.
Back to top Go down
tom collins
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
tom collins

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:28 am

I don't get here often, but the following quote tells me I should tune in more often:

"Sadly it seems that Guzzi is now a 'Retro' brand designed to appeal to hipsters and 'Get off my lawn' type Old White Men who want to ride something that looks like the two wheeled equivalent of a coelacanth!"

On what other forum would you see a coelacanth reference?

lcjohnny, Clancy and moby like this post

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:24 pm

kubbie wrote:
kiwi dave wrote:
Bulldog9 wrote:

Go and get a test ride on an Indian FTR1200S.  I did, and couldn't stay away!

I did do a test ride of the FTR1200s, and pretty much Indians entire line up, The FTR definitely made it onto my next bike list.

I have been drawn to the FTR1200s as well and it seems a really fun if not a very practical bike, my question for you guys that have experienced a spin on one is, How high strung or bad manners has it in comparison to the GRiSO? I love the power and torque but don’t want something so high strung that it becomes a handful

I am struggling in the battle to justify that I need another bike, the GRiSO was always a keeper and when I got the Stelvio it was with the intention of trading it when the time came, but now I can’t part with the big girl either Very Happy its so nice for long distance touring and probably not worth a lot in resale.

I thought like the rest of you that Guzzi might have introduce an Anniversary model that would have grabbed my interest, but it looks like they are all going to be based around the small block, love the style of the Indian

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm

I had a long 2hr & 85mile test ride on an FTR in streaming rain and it was a real hoot Smile (but i think that it was going to be hard to clean afterwards lol).

The only downside was that it was not as much of a hoot as my own Monster 1200s on the way home.

If you want much more violent responsive thrust in a more modern acccessible package try a Monster 1200. The downsides are less character and maybe too much power.

freewaystreak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!   Yee a new V7/8.5  how exciting! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Yee a new V7/8.5 how exciting!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Experience-
Jump to: