GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New Ghetto Dweller

Go down 
+4
Pete Roper
kiwi dave
lcjohnny
Knockerjoe
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Greetings all from NC, USA
I rescued this 07 GRiSO sitting outside and rotting away on the
side of trailer home in Virginia on the cheap.
I look forward to sorting things out and getting it road worthy soon.
This is not my first Guzzi but it is my first Carc Guzzi and I
have plenty of experience wrenching on them.
Look forward to learning things from all of you!
Cheers,
Joe
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Welcome Joe
I think you will find that the white ones are fastest..

But black is a good second Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Just curious.  Wot's the carbon fibre looking object on the rear axle?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:47 pm

It's a version of a CARC protector, most of them are simply a loop, this one seems to have some sort of grille in the loop. While I worry about them breaking the mounting points which are also the brake mounting points in the event of a spill I've never actually seen it happen. Like the number plate hanger discussed a couple of days ago though which mounts to the same place such a breakage is a possibility and CARC cases have never been available as a spare part.

My main concern though is the fact that it adds yet more unstrung weight to an already weighty component!
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:49 pm

It’s a crash guard with a Grateful Dead “Steal Your Face” emblem. Also it’s metal.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:43 pm

I’ve got one of those CARC guards. I removed it after Pete’s whispered tales of horror, woe, and dread.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Bonus points if someone can identify this exhaust pipe.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm

That’s a factory pipe with the end cap removed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Damn sure it is a GTM reverse cone megaphone with the end cap removed. I have one on my Sport. While a bit noisy, it allows the engine to do its best, while retaining good economy. Though mine is a 1200, there is no reason why it cannot be an asset, along with a decent map.

If it doesn't have the DB killer installed (doesn't look like it), it probably should be put back in, if you have it (you could make one or modify one). The downside is you might well go deaf without it. You might be able to get an end cap from the Bay of Fleas - the original was a cast aluminum piece, with 3 holes. I would also get it repacked with some good quality fibreglass matting when putting on the end cap.

I think the original blurb was "make your 1100/1200 sound like a small block Chevy" - it certainly does on the overrun.
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info!
The P.O. says he is going to send me the end cap in the mail.
Fingers crossed. Yes the baffle is removed and it is too loud for me.
I’ll look for an aftermarket one that will fit.
Next up: gettting rid of that funny red triangle Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Which red triangle? The one in the top right hand corner of the dash?
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Yes top right red triangle. I have the cables and software. I was reading that I might be able to get them off the dash.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Is it on permanently when the ignition is on or just flashing every few seconds when the ignition is off?
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

It is on permanently with ignition on and running.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Do you also have the word 'Service' with the triangle icon at the bottom of the LCD screen when the ignition is on?

One thing I would do is examine the bike carefully for electrical add ons. If it has a GT pipe it may of had some of his other dross added, a Power Commander or some sort of sensor fooler. Take the cover off the starter motor and check the Lambda sensor connection. If it has an adjustable variable resistor type fooler, they are marketed under several names, it will be in-line between the sensor and the loom. If these are cranked up too high the ecu detects a fault condition, throws up the service warnings and chucks the bike into 'Limp' mode.
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm

No “service” written. I know it is not in limp mode because I took it for a ride already.
I will do the things you said tomorrow and poke around and see if I can find a power commander.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Well there's the answer. You've got an indicator globe out. That will trigger the red triangle. Fix the indicator and it will disappear.

Also the 'Limp' mode is not a full 'Low Power' mode, it just defaults the mapping to an open loop baseline. You can feel it when it happens and it is accompanied by the 'Service' warning in the lower part of the LCD screen but it won't slow the bike to a crawl.

Knockerjoe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 pm

That indicator is on the left side, according to the arrow. So, now your choices are front or back.

Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:31 am

That’s easy as the left turn signal is missing and I have a new one on the way!
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 am

Looks like a good project - I'm in Wilson NC, what part of the state are you in?
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm

Hey Chris, I’m in Carrboro.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:47 am

that's no too far - once you get the GRiSO sorted out, maybe we can take a ride sometime

Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:58 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Well there's the answer. You've got an indicator globe out. That will trigger the red triangle. Fix the indicator and it will disappear.

Good to know - never knew that a bad bulb would bring up anything on the dash other than maybe a solid blink indicator.

My God, think of the rabbit hole that has been avoided here!

Good on Guzzi for making a bulb graphic that looks reasonably like a bulb.

I have a piece of equipment where I work that displays fault graphics that are apparently astrological signs combined with random wingdings. Have to dig the manual out every time to decipher.

Since these screens can display whatever you want, and they already possess the capability of switching languages, why not just program them to say wtf they're trying to say?

"left signal bulb out"
"oil change due" - instead of freaking every new owner out when the stupid wrench lights up?

Or must we accommodate the illiterate by confusing the hell out of everyone else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Ghetto Dweller Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ghetto Dweller   New Ghetto Dweller Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New Ghetto Dweller
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next