GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100

Go down 
+8
Clancy
Oz1200Guzzi
Brent S
Leone
Bulldog9
kubbie
tvboy
Holger
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Empty
PostSubject: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:44 am

Moin,

I need new tires for my GRiSO 1100.

Drive sporty on country roads and still want something better mileage.

On my Norton F1 Sport I have Michelin Pilot Power in the same tire sizes. Front 120/70 ZR17 and rear 180/55 ZR17.
So I am very satisfied, just lean angle a very good feeling.
Remains only just under 1 cm rest laterally.

Now I read in the GRiSO Ghetto some recommendations for the GRiSO for the Michelin Road 5.

The Norton does ride much more manageable, although horsepower and weight are similar.
On the GRiSO are now the Metzeler Sportec M3; are also older.... however, I drive them (perhaps) because of the tire age not so extreme in the corners, do not have the same good feeling as with my Norton.

Therefore, the question to GRiSO drivers:
which tires do you recommend me?

Greetings
Holger

Translated with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (free version)
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:23 am

Hello
I'll ask anyway... because I'm not sure whether the new Road5 is better than the Pilot Power 2CT?

There is a test from Motorrad:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I quote and copy one statement from it here:
"""However, the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT is much more agile on the same road, which clearly suits sportier riders even on all-round bikes. In the wet, the picture remains similar: similar grip level, but due to easier turn-in, the Power 2CT sets itself apart minimally even in the rain."""

So it would be great if GRiSO riders could comment on this....

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 am

so let's be more specific:

Have any of the GRiSO drivers driven a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT?

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:11 am

My pre-owned 2011 came to me with nearly new Michelin Pilot Road 3s. They felt great to me and I put about 12k miles on them before I felt it was time to replace. I do a mix of twisty roads and high speed freeway. I've recently installed a new set of PR 4s and the great feeling is still there. The PR4s are suppose to last an additional 15-20% over the 3s so doing the math I might expect at least 13,800 miles on the new Pilot Road 4s. Time will tell but no complaints. I don't ride in the rain so I can't tell you how they perform on the wet.
The PR4s are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelin Road 5s so if you don't do wet road riding maybe the 4s will suit you. My pair of PR4s cost me $310 plus tax. Cycle Gear did the mounting and balancing for $50/tire. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:58 am

Running a Pilot Power 2TC on the front now. And a Road 5 on the rear. Installed them in September after my last trip to NC. Didn't keep track of my mileage on this set unfortunately.

I knew that the front being more of a "Sport" tire, it wasn't gonna last long. Figured the rear would last a little bit longer. with it being a "Sport Touring" tire. Nope got one more ride out of the rear than I did the front.

Both Tires did great and never gave me a moments worry. But planning on going with "Roads" with next set. This heavy bike and its power just chewed through the "Power" tires too quickly.
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:09 am

Thank you,

So far I have some feedback....

Michelin Road5
Conti Road A Hack3
Dunlop Sportsmart MK3
Bridgestone S22
Pirelli Angel GT2

Have none of you driven Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT or Pilot Power 3???

Would definitely like a more manageable tyre, the Metzeler Sportec M3 is just bad!

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Holger wrote:
Thank you,

So far I have some feedback....

Michelin Road5
Conti Road  A  Hack3
Dunlop Sportsmart MK3
Bridgestone S22
Pirelli Angel GT2

Have none of you driven Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT or Pilot Power 3???

Would definitely like a more manageable tyre, the Metzeler Sportec M3 is just bad!

Greetings
Holger

Don't count the Angel ST out, they were excellent on my Norge. I burned through the M3's in 3K miles. They were an emergency buy while on a long trip. Got into some debris that gave me double flats. Sticky, but wore fast.
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:17 pm

Not directly relevant unfortunately, but I recently installed a set of Road 5 on my Tuono (had Sport Attack 2 the last few sets), and felt that the mileage/performance tradeoff was immediately noticeable, and too extreme for my tastes. I also very briefly locked the front tire while entering a roundabout on warm dry pavement (knew I was going to crash, but somehow kept it up), something I've never done before on the street.

I'm not any kind of a racer, simply an average rider who grew up on dirtbikes. Even if I can't 100% (or even 70%) utilize the performance envelope, I appreciate the safety margin of stickier rubber in addition to the increased feedback, so with a mere ~300 miles on them, the Road 5 are being swapped with M7RR I found on sale. On the other hand... the Road 5 do seem to reward a smoother, more calculated approach to cornering, so there's something to be said for the learning experience of a different style of tire.

This is just my opinion, not claiming any hard facts about the Road 5, as I completely realize that "tire feel" (especially at street speeds) is largely a subjective matter.

Given my good experience with Sport Attack 2, I have a set of RA3 waiting to replace the original Metzelers on the GRiSO. The RA3 is known to be more on the sporting side of the fence against its competitors (obtaining perhaps a bit less mileage, which is fine with me).
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:20 am

Thanks for the answers.

I have now decided on the Pirelli Angel GT2.

Will report back later.

Greetings
Holger

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Holger wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

I have now decided on the Pirelli Angel GT2.

Will report back later.

Greetings
Holger

I recently fitted a set of Angel GT2s to my GRiSO to replace the original Metzeler Z8s. Have barely used the bike in the last 6 months, so I can't provide a comprehensive report. Early feedback though is that the Pirelli's provide better "turn in" when tipping the bike into a corner, and the road feedback seems a little better. They're no quieter than the Metzeler's though in terms of road noise. No idea on wet grip as I seldom ride in the rain if I can avoid it.

I also went with the standard specification as opposed to the heavy duty "A" spec. They don't seem to squirm around at all as far as I can notice, but then again my grandmother would probably be quicker than me around a challenging road, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask!

Brent.

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:56 pm

I will be shelling out for a set of Michelin Road 5 GTs later this year. Currently using plain old Road 5, as the GT had not come out when I needed the last set. Covid has reduced my wear considerably - I generally only get 15-18 months out of a set - this time around it will be over 2 years. Don't know how many km - I ride until they need replacing.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:21 pm

With regard to 'standard' versus 'GT' spec, it seems that the GRiSO is right on the borderline in terms of weight, and there seem to be differing opinions as to whether a heavy duty tyre is warranted or not. I'm at the lighter end of rider weight, and I've been chasing better ride compliance for an eternity, so I was a little worried about creating a harsher ride if I opted for a heavy duty tyre if it wasn't really required.

I ended up just going into the Pirelli site and entering in my bike details, and it came up with the various tyre options, but didn't stipulate the 'A' spec at all, so I went with the standard version. Perhaps check the Michelin site and see if it recommends the GT version?

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:46 pm

I got the GT Road 4 when they came out - I found I could take the same corner 20 km/h faster, such was the confidence they inspired. The heavier sidewall made all the difference to me riding my porky old girl - way less squirm.

At the end of the day though, you need to be happy with how you connect to the ground and we all ride differently and have different capabilities. It's all subjective!
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Just had a Pilot Road 5 GT put on the rear this morning.
Was going to get a 5 to match the front but they had a GT in stock.
Will see how it goes.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 am

Hello, I drove the first 130 km with the new Pirelli tyres today.
But it really has become more manageable and cornering-friendly.

In about a month my 20,000 km will be down.
What should I pay particular attention to during the 20,000 km inspection?

Greetings
Holger
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:43 am

Clancy wrote:
Just had a Pilot Road 5 GT put on the rear this morning.
Was going to get a 5 to match the front but they had a GT in stock.
Will see how it goes.

When I first put them on they felt harsh, but they do get better. My set doesn't like "tar snakes" however. Curious to see your thoughts.

The Scorpion Trails were the best performing that I've tried, but they didn't last too long.
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:03 pm

While I'm still without a GRiSO, I've run through several sets of sport-touring tires.

I ran a few sets of Michelin PR4s on my Ducati Multistrada 1200 and while the wet grip was amazing, I found the turn-in quite slow and they were terrifying on tar snakes. I suspect this is due to the syping and the relatively flat profile of the carcass.

I'm now on my second set of Dunlop RoadSmart III tires and I love them. A steeper profile of the tire, great wet grip, better turn-in, nice firm sidewall, plenty of grip for riding it like a sportbike, and good tread life.

While I've never run the Pirelli Angel GT, I've had great luck with their other tires on my other sportbikes; Panigale, Multistrada 1100 S, 848 Streetfighter, Aprilia Tuono V4 1100, and my RSV4.

As the GRiSO I'm eyeing is in need of tires, I'm either going with the Dunlop RS3 or Pirelli Angel GT II.

RE: the A- or GT-spec tires, I've never run them and always advised against it, They seem to be for the bigger, heavier bikes like the BMW RTs and Yamaha FJRs - Bikes much heavier than even the GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:35 pm

I wonder if the GT would be a good choice for the GRiSO if the rider was of the "large economy size"? I'm on my second set of Road5's and while I like them, I only get about 4,600 miles per set. The front is shot at that point and the rear isn't far behind. Centers have some tread left, but about half way across the side is gone.
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 pm

rick pope wrote:
I wonder if the GT would be a good choice for the GRiSO if the rider was of the "large economy size"?  I'm on my second set of Road5's and while I like them, I only get about 4,600 miles per set.  The front is shot at that point and the rear isn't far behind.  Centers have some tread left, but about half way across the side is gone.
If it were me? No.

The A-spec and similar books are for big bikes; constructed with a much surfer carcass to cope with a heavy bike. This won’t necessarily equate to more mileage out of the tire. It will feel much stiffer and likely compromise the ride quality.

Besides, 4600 miles out of an ST tire is great. I usually change tires out before 4k on my Multistrada, and that’s with an aggressive throttle and high speeds.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 am

Dunlop Roadsmarts are great tyres - had them on an R1100s and was really able to rag that bike on those tyres Smile

Also like Metzler Roadtec 01 had 2 sets on the Monster - warm quickly, neutral steering nice turn in - better and more accurate feel than the Pirelli Rosso Corsa it came with
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am

lcjohnny wrote:

Also like Metzler Roadtec 01 had 2 sets on the Monster - warm quickly, neutral steering nice turn in - better and more accurate feel than the Pirelli Rosso Corsa it came with
Interesting. I rather liked the Rossa Corsas on my Tuono. They warmed up quickly and provided a great deal of grip. They weren't great in the rain, though.

I've found the Pirellis and Dunlops have a very different feel to them; both are great tires with very different characteristics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100   looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

looking for new tires for my GRiSO 1100
Page 1 of 1