GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What is it?

Go down 
+7
Kernow
GuzziSteve
tom collins
knumbnutz
kiwi dave
Oz1200Guzzi
Bulldog9
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 pm

What is it about the GRiSO that I find so much more satisfying than any bike I've ever owned?

Yesterday, in preparation for my 1500 mile Summer Trip, I took the 1200 Sport on an all day 250 mile shake down after changing out the oil pressure switch and testing the TomTom GPS and a few other mods I did. Was a great day, the 1200 Sport (Breva Chassis) is a fantastic bike. I often call it a GRiSO with a velvet glove. Everything is softer smoother and easier.

This morning, as my wife is out of town, I decided to ride to my local Bikes & Breakfast (Clifton VA), which BTW had 7 Guzzis in attendance. 2 GRiSO's, a 1400 Touring, a Lemans 3, V11 Sport, and two V7's.  The V11 was PRISTINE....in that beautiful yet shocking lime green color and red frame. Only 6K on the clock.  But I digress.

I was wondering how the two would compare, and immediately, I was reminded how much I love the GRiSO. Everything is sharper. The engine though a bit lower in power is snappier, the suspension is dialed, in, the handling is sharper, and the bike is just brilliant, and so much more engaging than the 1200 Sport. By comparison the Sport motor feels muted and muddier, less snappy, and more 'muted'  It brakes as well, handles nearly as well, is far more comfortable and smooth, but less viceral or addicting than the GRiSO.

The GRiSO is my day trip fun bike, and plan to keep it that way. Just a Givi tank bag, Agostini exhaust and Dart. No extra lights or GPS/Ram Mounts..... The bike is a stunner, and got attention all morning. Much more than the  Satin and matte black 2014 GRiSO just a few bikes down. It also sucked attention away from the 9RT to my left and the two big Ducati Monsters to my right.

Just a brilliant motorcycle.......  But back to my first question, what is it that makes the bike so 'right'? You'd think that the 1200 Sport with the same basic motor (4V motor) Trans and CARC feels so muted by comparison? Sure the 1200 SPort has 75K+ miles on it, but I had the same issue with my Norge, and it wasn't until I removed the Cat and had Beetle fiddle with the map that I felt that the Motor was as engaging.  Could it be as simple as the cat being removed? Is the gearing different?  Doesn't seem so based on speed and gear selected, but it has to be something.

In the end, I am as smitten with the GRiSO 5 years and 10K miles later (I know low miles, but I have 4 bikes....lol)

Love this bike
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A few of the bikes at the Breakfast, probably 100 there, including several 'impressive' young ladies on Duc's

The 1200 Sport at 'Cooters' somewhere in VA. The guy with the dark hair was there playing music. Man he got old ;-)

Steak, Weißgerät, Lehctim and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 pm

For starters, it looks like you have the standard muffler - being a Z-fold internal design does not enhance its performance. When I put my original muffler on my Sport, everything is muted and silky smooth. When I have a "proper" muffler, it is crisp and a joy to ride. The Sport has a different 3rd and 4th gear ratios, I believe. Apart from that...

Oh and a map to suit my proper muffler does wonders! Remember the front suspension on the GRiSO is a little better than the Sport's Marzocchi legs.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm

I installed an Agostini Muffler (with db killer) on my favourite 2v 1200 Sport. Purchased off someone on another website in California. Saved over 2 Kg in weight, as well as a nicer sound (the original used to whistle at me).
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 am

It's rough and angrier. To me it's like when anyone asks why you like a guzzi.
There is always something about them but they are never boring!
Back to top Go down
tom collins
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
tom collins

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 6:26 am

I always had wanted to try one, so I rode one for the first time last week. My normal mount is the V85TT Adv. I had a 1400 before that.
This bike was a 2016 with low mileage, a small carbon fiber pipe and a map.
There is no reason this bike should exist. The side stand is a joke, very hard to use; there is no provision to mount luggage; it rides hard, its loud as Hell. But, I love it. It is completely irrational, makes no sense at all. I used to think the 1400 was a beast, but this thing tried to pull my arms out of their sockets at every stop light and sounds like it just came down pit road. It is a masterpiece of craziness.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 7:21 am

I had been working on the G for 3 yrs but not in the twisties. Changed shops to up in the mtns and got my feet stuck under the bike in curves. I have to ride them on the balls of my feet. My feet are too big for low foot pegs OR I'm leaning over too far(is there such a thing?).
My floorboard models have ground down mounts.
Back to top Go down
Kernow
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kernow

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 11:13 am

I like the way i have to work with the GRiSO. The stock suspension is not the best but okay when set-up to suit the rider, the gearbox needs a little thought to get the best changes and when i,m not quite right she lets me know. The looks of the bike is quirky as a Guzzi should be but to me and i,ll say others including non riders shes a beauty.
Also as there are not that many about its that being a bit different and that pretty much sums up my biking life, infuriating at times especially if you rode Italian bikes in the 70,s and 80,s with their wonderful electrics, but the rewards are wonderful as you have alluded to.
Cheers

racepics likes this post

Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 1:04 pm

I just love the fact that it's so 'different'. I have done 90,000km on my 2009 girl and while I'd have to acknowledge that Guzzi ownership can be character building, I wouldn't be without her. You feel 'special' riding a Guzzi.

Lehctim likes this post

Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm

I bought a new Sport in 2013, did 5,000 KMs in two years, and my brother did 2000kms of that.
Decided to trade in for the GRiSO, 5 years later and over 30,000kms, it is still the best bike (for me)
Back to top Go down
racepics
Carlotto
Carlotto
racepics

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 pm

I've ridden hundreds of different bikes. (20+ years as a mechanic does that)
I've ridden bikes that have way more power, more speed, sweeter handling you name it. But I just don't care about those bikes.
The Guzzis I've owned have a soul, for want of a better description. And for an old bloke like me, its plenty fast enough. Its a better bike than I am a rider these days.
Its a right royal pain in the ass (literally) on a long ride, my old spine complains at the bumps transmitted from our crap road surfaces. I don't care. I just do shorter rides.
Like this one.... (spot the rookie mistake towards the end)

Richard likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.delicavan.com
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Bulldog9 wrote:
What is it about the GRiSO that I find so much more satisfying than any bike I've ever owned?

This morning, as my wife is out of town, I decided to ride to my local Bikes & Breakfast (Clifton VA), which BTW had 7 Guzzis in attendance. 2 GRiSO's, a 1400 Touring, a Lemans 3, V11 Sport, and two V7's.  The V11 was PRISTINE....in that beautiful yet shocking lime green color and red frame. Only 6K on the clock.  But I digress.

Love this bike

If you think of it, send a ping next time you head to the event.  Been there once before for the 'cars' part with my 928.  
I'm in MD now, but just over the river.  Now that the weather is cooling...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What is it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Experience-
Jump to: