GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello from Wirral, UK

Go down 
+7
beetle
Pete Roper
lcjohnny
Chris W
Papa Lazarou
Patlikestolean
BobW981
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

Hello from Wirral, UK Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:56 am

Hi all, I’m a MG newbie, looking to add a GRiSO 1200 to my Italian stable.

I’ve had many other Italian beauties over the years. I’ve found it’s vital to understand their weaknesses so you can avoid future heartache Smile
Hence my initial joining of this forum to learn from others.

Charles likes this post

Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 am

Welcome to the Ghetto Bob! Wish I had done my research first, bought with my heart and not my head.
Worked out fine though, thanks to this forum, I've got a great running GRiSO now.
The experts will chime in soon to steer you in the right direction

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:55 am

and the main two experts are Mark (Beetle) and the incredibly knowledgeable Pete Roper.

But-the problems from this board have been mainly (in no order)-
1) is it rollerised? Post 2013 (or late 2012) it should be. Before that, ask for receipts to prove it has been if it's earlier. Avoid if it has a lot of miles without rollerisation. Flat tappets kill engines. The 1100 does not have this problem.
2) the rear shock sucks. Haven't changed mine yet though.
3) grease the swing arm.
4) the OEM tyres are lousy and don't suit the bike.
5) the riding position can be painful. Rizoma fat bars and Onur bar risers sort this out.
6) the original map needs a Beetle map installed on the ECU.
7) it's a heavy bastard.

Last edited by Papa Lazarou on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:07 pm

And-it handles well enough. It is long though. Regrease the head bearings. It's a proper analogue bike.

Leone and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:26 am

Welcome from the states!
I too purchased my first Guzzi without doing any research. It is my 2nd bike after a Honda VTX so I have gone from basically a maintenance free Jap bike to one that requires a little more attention - but it is absolutely worth it!
good luck
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi Bob
Welcome from the west country
what Papa Lazarou says is spot on
Hope to see you around UK

Jon
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks for all your words of advice  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I ‘may’ have found a bike, it’s a 2015 GRiSO 1200 8V SE in red with 4K miles & 1 owner.
The bike has an Italian exhaust, possibly ipothesys, and comes with the original system, there’s also a Termignoni system which was too close to the fitted GRiSO soft luggage.

3 hours from home is a little problem, in terms of properly inspecting it.

It all adds up to a good deal, soured by scrapes on the shaft drive casing by the ‘CARC’ logo. In the short term, I’d have no issues with dressing it with a needle file, and paint black to match.  In the longer term I may want to replace the casting.  Does anybody know how much this item would cost?  A breaker would be another option?
What’s your thoughts?

Bob
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:10 pm

The bevelbox castings are not available as a spare part. Don't ask me why. The only way to replace them is to replace the whole unit. If you are interested I have good condition second hand cases but only in brown. Painting them wouldn't be a big deal though.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:14 pm

Scrapes on the bevel box suggest it's been down on that side. Just FYI.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The bevelbox castings are not available as a spare part. Don't ask me why. The only way to replace them is to replace the whole unit. If you are interested I have good condition second hand cases but only in brown. Painting them wouldn't be a big deal though.
Cheers Pete, that would explain why he chose not to have it fixed.  Not at the moment, but out of interest how much?

beetle wrote:

Scrapes on the bevel box suggest it's been down on that side. Just FYI.
Thanks, he described them as scratches lol. I asked him straight, he said he lost it ‘on oil’ on a roundabout about 5 years ago. Was working abroad & left it with main dealer to fix for cash.

The price offered is low for an SE model. Hmmm

Last edited by BobW981 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Bob. The big boys will get you straightened out, I'm just here for the laughs.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 pm

BobW981 wrote:

Thanks, he described them as scratches lol. I asked him straight, he said he lost it ‘on oil’ on a roundabout about 5 years ago. Was working abroad & left it with main dealer to fix for cash.

The price offered is £6k, which i think is low for an SE model. Hmmm

He dropped it abroad? Where the drive on the right? Or does Ireland count as "abroad"?

That may mean it flipped right-to-left. Usually in a slow get-off*, the valve covers cop it as well. I know, because I am Mr. Crashy.

* Actually, in any get-off.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 am

Welcome from up the road Bob, personally I'd keep the CARC as is & clean it up a bit....just call it patina (my bikes have a lot of that).

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:44 am

beetle wrote:
BobW981 wrote:

The price offered is £6k, which i think is low for an SE model. Hmmm

He dropped it abroad? Where the drive on the right? Or does Ireland count as "abroad"?

That may mean it flipped right-to-left. Usually in a slow get-off*, the valve covers cop it as well. I know, because I am Mr. Crashy.

* Actually, in any get-off.

Confusion reigns lol. No, it was dropped in UK… the fella works abroad etc.  On my photo inspection, it’s likely levers & pegs were damaged. I had assumed the valve cover was replaced.

I doubt the scrape would cause any mechanical issues, and I am capable of tidily dressing it. My thoughts had moved to longer term ie. resale value if damage was noticeable.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:49 am

paulbrice wrote:
Welcome  from up the road Bob, personally I'd keep the CARC as is & clean it up a bit....just call it patina (my bikes have a lot of that).

Yours and mine both! It has so many scuffs and knocks from, (Mainly.) my own stupidity just means it's more *Mine*.

It's thirteen years and nearly 140,000 (?) km old now. Of course it's been crashed and bashed a bit. Thirteen years seemed a bit unlucky. That's why I bought another one.... cheers
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:02 am

Thank you for you words of support  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The bike otherwise appears in good condition & comes with original parts + MG Termi system.  I think a GRiSO’s coming home, fingers crossed.

How does this image system work? Been trying to show thumbnails, but replaces them with [img] despite uploading some to the Gallery [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by BobW981 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Still trying to show image)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:22 am

BobW981 wrote:

I doubt the scrape would cause any mechanical issues, and I am capable of tidily dressing it. My thoughts had moved to longer term ie. resale value if damage was noticeable.

They actually crash pretty well. The valve covers should be considered sacrificial. If you end up like me or Pete, you won't be selling it, ever...

Ouch. That's a bad one.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm

BobW981 wrote:
How does this image system work? Been trying to show thumbnails, but replaces them with [img] despite uploading some to the Gallery  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:33 am

…and a close up of the differential hub

Bob
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:36 am

ouch - but the rest of it is so pretty.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 am

Left side showing the Ipothesys exhaust system

Cr*p pics, I’ll take & post some decent photos when I get it home.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:43 am

lcjohnny wrote:
ouch - but the rest of it is so pretty.

If the final price is right, my plan is to dress it up in the short term.  A longer term plan would be either to locate a scrapper & salvage a diff casing, or one winter to strip the diff and make a proper ally repair.

Bob
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:58 am

Longer term plan involving rebuilding CARC bevel box sounds like too much pain for a small cosmetic gain....

Even scrapped boxes have your patina & at least your CARC wording isn't fecked (see ebay currently)

And Carc covers don't look much better than scratched ones IMHO (before we start on the price)

I think best option is to dress it carefully and paint it satin black where it's scratched - 90% better and 300% cheaper !

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Yup, cleaned up and painted, most people won't notice it.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:13 pm

And don't call it a differential! It doesn't differentiate between anything, it's on a single track vehicle! It has no planetaries! It's a bevelbox! (Mutter, grumble........)

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wirral, UK   Hello from Wirral, UK Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello from Wirral, UK
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: Who you is?-
Jump to: