GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barry.b
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
barry.b

oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Empty
PostSubject: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:45 pm

WWMD: What would MacGyver do?

Hi all. This is on the back of recent threads about swapping out the rear suspension for a Stelvio monoshock.

My situation: the shock was swapped over by the previous owner to an Ikon sometime during it's first 16,000kms existence.

The dampening for that shock is now stuffed. I have an 1151cc pogo stick, an interesting situation mid-corner, I assure you...

My choices, it seems.

1. Pull out the broken shock, let the bike sit around waiting for the Ikon to be repaired/refurbed. This wiill not help the soft spring that's currently wound out to buggery to stop it from bottoming out.

2. Buy a new exact replacement but with better spring rate, with the bike only being out of action for one day.

3. Source a Stelvio-like shock (if not an original, at least same specs) and gain the benefit of longer swingarm travel as well as a more sensible spring rate for Australian Highway Goat Tracks.

two last piece of info: this is not for a GRiSO, but a 2v Norge. I'm trying to set the bike up as a tourer, able to carry much gear. Even around town, I have cause to move myself (90kg) and +80kg in the panniers, back rack and pillion seat (musical equipment, mostly).... and I am in Brisbane

Is there an obvious decision?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:02 pm

It all depends on what you are willing to spend.

I've heard of several people having issues with leaking Ikon mono shocks so perhaps the best idea would be to go for something a bit more upmarket. A cm longer would be no bad thing and get a heavier spring.
Back to top Go down
barry.b
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
barry.b

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:20 am

Pete Roper wrote:
It all depends on what you are willing to spend.

As always, it comes down to budgets. Years ago (many), when I was last seriously needing new suspension it was either Bertrand Cadart's Fournales or Koni, the rest was rubbish.

I'm planning to do a lot of kms' on this Norge, so decent quality that will put up with shit road conditions is paramount. "No Substitute For Quality" - Arnotts' biscuits...

If something's going to cost, say US$1100, that'll be at least Au$1500 landed. That's probably near the top I can afford to spend, to have some $$$ on fitting.

Pete Roper wrote:
I've heard of several people having issues with leaking Ikon mono shocks so perhaps the best idea would be to go for something a bit more upmarket. A cm longer would be no bad thing and get a heavier spring.

Oh well, that's #1 option out the window... thanks heaps for the heads-up.

Feel free to dob in some brands available to Australia.

So, going off the GrisoGhetto conversations on retrofitting Stelvio-spec'd shocks, it sounds like

• 110nm spring strength
  • 330mm travel (GRiSO, Breva/Sport/Norge are all 318mm it seems)
  • compression and rebound damping adjusters
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:40 am

The stelvio shock absorber only has hydraulic preload and rebound adjuster. No separate compression damping

barry.b likes this post

Back to top Go down
barry.b
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
barry.b

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:46 am

Fournales at £513.50, after fourex to AU$, that's still within budget.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's for a direct replacement, and I may not need to go the extra length... hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 am

Are Fournales still a pure air shock? I had a set on my hot-rod back in the late nineties. They were good but very, very labour intensive. I honestly think technology has moved on and there are simpler options available.
Back to top Go down
barry.b
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
barry.b

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:16 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Are Fournales still a pure air shock? I had a set on my hot-rod back in the late nineties. They were good but very, very labour intensive. I honestly think technology has moved on and there are simpler options available.

yes, air shock, no springs. Hence half the weight. One of the attributes is that it'll never bottom out, although if something goes wrong, there's no spring to keep it collapsing completely ... so it will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?   oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

oh wise Guzzinistas: my rear shock is stuffed. WWMD?
Page 1 of 1