GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The secret to smoothness

Go down 
+5
lcjohnny
JohnA
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
guzziownr
9 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

The secret to smoothness Empty
PostSubject: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 pm

My 2013 8V was very smooth, no real vibration issues and I could ride it all day.

My current GRiSO is a 2007.

Valves are adjusted, TBs balanced, Beetle mapped and it is very vibey (for a Guzzi) and puts my hands to sleep in about 30 minutes.

I recently changed the handlebar which helped a little but I wonder why it is so different from the 8V.

My other bike is a 1975 Guzzi Eldorado with a tuned 950 Tonti motor (insert hot rod babble here). It too is very smooth and when it gets a bit vibey I can tell the carbs need balancing and it smooths right out.

Are the 4Vs just that way and I should stop trying?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:58 pm

My 2V 1200 is vibey, though half that is how tight I grip the handlebars - I have to keep reminding myself to relax, which helps enormously.

However I have a vibration around 3,000 rpm and a buzz around 4,000 rpm. I avoid these engine speeds, preferring to run over 4,000 whenever possible - engine smooths right out from there.

There are a few things that will make a difference: your muffler mount might need some insertion rubber where it bolts onto the frame; different bar ends weights - I found I had to go lighter with the handguards. Perhaps some grip-puppies might also help...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:37 am

I like grip puppies.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:46 am

I also find myself gripping too tight and my right hand in particular falls asleep. I have a throttle lock for a break. I rode a friends bike with the grip puppies and it was a big difference but I haven’t done that yet as I have sone geegaw grips I don’t want to hide..... and mine is a 4V that I feel is very well tuned due to the help I get here.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:05 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

However I have a vibration around 3,000 rpm and a buzz around 4,000 rpm.

Yep, same here

Quote :
There are a few things that will make a difference: your muffler mount might need some insertion rubber where it bolts onto the frame; different bar ends weights - I found I had to go lighter with the handguards. Perhaps some grip-puppies might also help...

Thanks, Grip puppies are on, I will look at the muffler mount and bar ends. New handlebar has none yet.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 am

Had to take the heavy (stelvio) weights off mine to reduce the vibration - first time I have encountered that on a big cylinder engine.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
Had to take the heavy (stelvio) weights off mine to reduce the vibration - first time I have encountered that on a big cylinder engine.

Experienced the same on an Indian FTR1200.

I fitted Sato Racing 30mm bar end weights (orig 20mm) thinking the longer weights would be made from the same material.  Wrong!  The originals were 124 gm, replacements ones 73 gm.  Yet I experience a reduction in handlebar vibration.  Go figure!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Resonances work in mysterious ways. Sometime lighter is better.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:22 pm

Here are my secrets to smoothness...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Oz1200Guzzi and Bulldog9 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Yeah Steve, smooth but not that smooth - these from your bathroom cabinet?

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 am

Quote :
Experienced the same on an Indian FTR1200.

I fitted Sato Racing 30mm bar end weights (orig 20mm) thinking the longer weights would be made from the same material.  Wrong!  The originals were 124 gm, replacements ones 73 gm.  Yet I experience a reduction in handlebar vibration.  Go figure!

That's why I didn't put on the bar ends right away. That will be this weekend's project as the new bar is not threaded/has no insert.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 pm

There's smooth, and then there's soporific.

No

In GRiSO we trust!

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Kenny Gee Whiz.

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

tazio, Bulldog9 and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The secret to smoothness   The secret to smoothness Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The secret to smoothness
Page 1 of 1