GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?

Go down 
+42
tsheep2
GuzziLooper
GuZeee
Holger
knumbnutz
bjor
DeepSpace
Street
Kernow
evansnows
BrandX
Bulldog9
brmoke
Rock80
bioman
Brent S
LBC Tenni
Stubbie
Weißgerät
MelJ
Jonathun
Papa Lazarou
kubbie
GuzziSteve
tazio
Leone
Guzzi Cat
moby
lcjohnny
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
motor-timothy
rick pope
kiwi dave
SMTCapeCod
BobW981
Richard
JohnA
sideshowbob
Steak
Pete Roper
janguzzi
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:06 am

I will keep my GRiSO as long as possible because I think it still one of the "sexiest" bike out there.
I hope that I might never crash her. Parts are expensive and I guess it it will not take long and certain parts will not be available anymore - also an expericence I made with the California Vintage.

A friend of mine owned a R9T for a while. Maybe this is the one comming closest to the GRiSO.
Even the sound was nice for a Boxer engine (not sounding like a VW Beetle) and the build quality was excellent.
I am still wondering why it was not possible to bring the 8V to Euro4 or even 5.

The GRiSO (A8 engine) was my first Guzzi which was running as it should out of the box.
The 1000S, the Rosso Corsa and the Vintage were running much too lean in the midrange.
The V11 and the Vintage were pinging at higer ambient temperatures.
The customers were always the test drivers and I am so tired to debug Luigis crap anymore.
The flat tappet disaster is also good example.
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:01 pm

The FTR 1200 for me, Every few weeks I talk myself out of buying it because the fuel tank is too small Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:21 pm

Sad question indeed, as I agree there's nothing else out there immediately as exciting as the GRiSO. Granted, my particular bike was initially only exciting to look at, and required significant work from new to get right... but it's now an unequivocal keeper! That said, I'm not sure I want to go through that debacle again (warranty on me for serious defects), with any new bike, at least.

Second problem, as you hinted, parts availability has taken a sharp nosedive, clearly accelerated by the pandemic, and there's no telling if Piaggo will recover the supply to previous levels. This is the same problem I have with my '04 Tuono Factory: both machines satisfy fully in different ways, but I'm hesitant to ride them as much as I would prefer due to the future parts outlook. If you break a body/cosmetic part, good luck. I'd like another bike I can simply ride without experiencing too much guilt...  Razz

Staying within a similar category, for me would be the R9T. It's fascinating to see the old boxer design at such a state of refinement, and overall quality is stellar. I doubt parts availability will be a problem anytime soon. Knowledge and "cool" factor of the online community (at least on the English forums) is nowhere near that of the GRiSOverse, but that hardly matters. More importantly, is diagnostic software readily available for the R9T? That's necessary for me, performing all maintenance myself. Then again, unlike our nearby Guzzi dealer, BMW typically has truly competent techs in the shop, so you wouldn't be frightened if it had to go in for one reason or another.

However, the R9T might be too much overlap in concept assuming I still had the GRiSO. Since I have a soft-spot/nostalgia for the old Japanese 4's, I might consider a Z900RS. I'm also always mulling over the TV4 and S3, though that's ultimately unwise for obvious reasons. I really enjoy how the GRiSO feels fast when going slow, keeps me out of trouble.  sunny

OK, so assuming a very lucky find, I might also consider an old bike, like a 900SS, V11, or a unicorn Mille R with low miles, though you're back again to the parts cluster. (On that note: my dad recently picked up an early 80's Suzuki GS to toy with on the weekends--shockingly, the local dealer still has a ton of parts on the shelf for these bikes, and anything not in stock is easily ordered!)

Sorry for the tome! Sleep
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Guzzi Cat wrote:
The FTR 1200 for me, Every few weeks I talk myself out of buying it because the fuel tank is too small Very Happy

It's only slightly smaller than the GRiSO. I get 200 kM out of a tank full, once attained 230 kM (just!)
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:31 pm

moby wrote:
beetle wrote:

The GRiSO is my last bike.

Hey, if you part with it (and if I can still walk) can I have first dibs?  That aside, when I can no longer handle a GRiSO I'll get something small/Italian and red.    

You misunderstand. It will have to be pried from my cold, dead, hands...and I will hopefully outlive all you old bastards.

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Weißgerät likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Who you calling an old bastard, you young bastard?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 pm

You.

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Embarassed

Been busted, now...
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:24 am

beetle wrote:
moby wrote:
beetle wrote:

The GRiSO is my last bike.

Hey, if you part with it (and if I can still walk) can I have first dibs?  That aside, when I can no longer handle a GRiSO I'll get something small/Italian and red.    

You misunderstand. It will have to be pried from my cold, dead, hands...and I will hopefully outlive all you old bastards.

Razz

On ya! It was worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:34 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
Guzzi Cat wrote:

It's only slightly smaller than the GRiSO.  I get 200 kM out of a tank full, once attained 230 kM (just!)

Dave, I could end up blaming you when I explain to Mrs Cat that I have just bought another muscle bike that has no pillion comfort Very Happy but the Stelvio will continue to do that job Thumbs Up

Are you happy with the Indian and is it a bike that you can do your own maintenance on or is it highly strung and needs to visit the dealer fairly regularly? Question Like Jan I have been hoping for something new from Guzzi in the big block guise but that is looking unlikely so the FTR is my wet dream bike at the moment, then there is the decision on the earlier model or the newer smaller wheel model, decisions, decisions, real first world problems Exclamation
Back to top Go down
tazio
Carlotto
Carlotto
tazio

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:45 pm

I suppose if forced to choose out of what's currently available..
Thinking ahead to a time when "lighter" might be nice and "exciting" is still a prerequisite, sign me up for the 701 Svartpilen![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Weißgerät and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Dave, I could end up blaming you when I explain to Mrs Cat that I have just bought another muscle bike that has no pillion comfort Very Happy but the Stelvio will continue to do that job Thumbs Up

Are you happy with the Indian and is it a bike that you can do your own maintenance on or is it highly strung and needs to visit the dealer fairly regularly? Question Like Jan I have been hoping for something new from Guzzi in the big block guise but that is looking unlikely so the FTR is my wet dream bike at the moment, then there is the decision on the earlier model or the newer smaller wheel model, decisions, decisions, real first world problems Exclamation

I suggest you take an FTR 1200S out for a demo ride, and see if you then can live without one!

I purchased mine almost exactly a year ago, when NZ came out of Covid lockdown.  The local Indian dealer had slashed $3,000 off their original asking price and was offering demo rides.  One extended ride and I was hooked.

It was far from perfect.  I hated the low slung tail-light and indicators, the latter would bruise my shins every time I walked around it in my garage.  I lifted the  tail-light, plate and indicators under the seat to solve this issue.

But the main problem was the fueling.  Basically, it was rushed out before the refinements had occurred, and it ran like a pig.  I changed the fueling using a Dynajet Power Vision (PV3), first one was faulty, then Lucas at Fuel Moto came to the rescue and sorted everything for me.  Then when the factory finally issued a replacement map last month (installed by the local agents), everything (almost) was fixed.

Pillion seat is probably better than the GRiSO, although I've never been on either.  I added a rear luggage rack where I can mount a topbox, this will give a pillion some reassurance.

Since I have the first generation one, I can't compare to the later smaller wheel models, but I believe this was done due lack of tyre choice more than anything else.  Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32s fixed that for me.

Or you can just wait for Guzzi to announce a new model, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  A revised paint job perhaps?
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:28 pm

If I sold my Guzzi's, I'd still be riding the sidecar rig a Cal2 but for a solo I'd try a RE650 but w/a

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Extra parts added. Kind of an old regular motorcycle, no gizmo's.
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:34 pm

All but my first two bikes have been my last bike. I liked them all, well most of them. For me its just not worth it to sell a bike, I'll never get what its worth to me, so they stay.
I will add to the list.
Seriously thinking of adding:
Goldwing
FTR 1200
Speed Triple (LOVE the triple motor)
dirt bike of some kind

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:01 pm

kubbie wrote:
All but my first two bikes have been my last bike. I liked them all, well most of them. For me its just not worth it to sell a bike, I'll never get what its worth to me, so they stay.
I will add to the list.
Seriously thinking of adding:
Goldwing
FTR 1200
Speed Triple (LOVE the triple motor)
dirt bike of some kind

My limiting factor is the size of my bike garage. It currently holds my 6 bikes, plus other half has 3 😡  The result is that the once sizeable garage is now crammed & I can’t work on mine without rolling them out onto the drive. Therefore 1 or 2 out before any in… Her ER6f is for sale 😆

My Laverda SFC1000 @ 60,000 miles is overdue a full overhaul. Engine’s out and opened, found broken rings so much to do. 

I’ve never desired a Goldwing, although I accept they’re impressive mile munchers. FTR, not for me nor a HD.
Maybe I’d like to ride (again) a Suzuki GT 2-stroke triple from my youth? Unsure?

I seriously looked at the new Speed Triple 1200RS, prior to buying the GRiSO. It’s media criticism was about things I considered to be track day / race oriented. I concluded that it would make an awesome road bike. I could’ve afforded the £15k, but in the end UK roads and law enforcement would weigh heavily on where I ride. 

Everybody should experience riding off road. I’ve only sold mine cos of spinal surgery making dirt falls too risky. 

Bob

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:19 am

Me, I'll be moving down in size and weight eventually. Advancing years and all.

Quite which bike, not sure. MG V7, RE 650 or Triumph Trident look possibilities.

Would I have an electric bike? Sure, but I'm not that rich.

Degs likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jonathun
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Jonathun

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:42 am

Triumph Rocket 3R or GT (undecided) but I have time since my job doesn’t let me have enough down time to ride at present 😖
Back to top Go down
MelJ
Carlotto
Carlotto
MelJ

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:59 am

tazio wrote:
I suppose if forced to choose out of what's currently available..
Thinking ahead to a time when "lighter" might be nice and "exciting" is still a prerequisite, sign me up for the 701 Svartpilen![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I just recently sold my Vitpilen 701. An uncomfortable unreliable heap of sh*t fitted with the worlds most boring single cylinder motor.

If you like big singles from days of yore then the 701 won’t do the trick. They’ve engineered all the character out of it in search of smoothness and to a great extent succeeded, at the cost of mechanical noise and lack of fun. Then they’ve engineered in a load of KTMness so the fuel tank leaks, the (rubbish cheapo) clocks randomly stop working, the side stand sensor depends on a small magnet glued into the stand mechanism that’s inadequately glued so they fall out leaving you stranded...then they won’t sell you a magnet, you must buy a whole side stand assembly...the failing clutch slave cylinder issue remains after 10 years of making these motors and the fix is still to buy an aftermarket part. Then there’s the weak gearbox return spring and false neutrals and deeply average quickshifter and the rear number plate mounts that fall off taking the axle nut with them.

To make them properly fun you need to spend a couple of grand on intake and exhaust mods, change the gearing with a smaller front sprocket and fix the gearbox, then ignore the crap clocks etc. By the time you’ve done that you may as well have bought a decent bike in the first place.

There’s a reason they discontinued these after a couple of years and there’s still unsold new bikes kicking around now...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 am

That's a shame. Oh well, I'll not bother looking for one! Having said that though I don't think I'll be buying another IC bike. Certainly not new.

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:22 pm

I'd guess the R9T in one of its iterations might be a GRiSO substitute.

But IF I were to get a new bike after the GRiSO, it really should be something noticably lighter.
I was thinking Svartpilen before I read MelJ's litany above........
And I'd like to give that new V7 850 a chance.

Back to top Go down
MelJ
Carlotto
Carlotto
MelJ

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:18 am

I am more negative about the 701 than many but I think a lot of koolaid has been drunk about those bikes.

FWIW I had an RE Himalayan at the same time as the Vit, and despite it being much more compromised than the Vit in many ways, it was a much more fun bike to ride...at least until I got tired of the lack of power. It’s just a really characterful and fun engine even with only 20(!) odd hp, and the chassis handles amazingly even with the soft suspension and long travel. You just pin it everywhere knowing it’ll get around any corner because you’re never going that fast - max 77mph for me. The brakes are crap and the finish is a bit iffy but it was less than half the price of the Vit, and when I sold it I lost less than half what I lost on the Vit...

The 650s may be a shout for a Guzzi replacement from the character point of view, and cheaper than a V7.

Personally my GRiSO is long gone, Bella has gone, Vit gone, Himalayan gone and I’m looking at an MT09 or an FTR. Don’t really want a small block.

Weißgerät likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 pm

You could try the MV Turismo Veloce 800, Benelli 899, 1130 Trek or Yamaha 900 Tracer. All do 320 plus km's, around 200kg's all 105hp ish.
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 am

It seems that something is really happening at Piaggio:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 am

Stubbie wrote:
You could try the MV Turismo Veloce 800, Benelli 899, 1130 Trek or Yamaha 900 Tracer. All do 320 plus km's, around 200kg's all 105hp ish.

Not for me - i can't see the point of ICE engines with 3 or more cylinders.
Smoother engines were novel when we were all riding round on Starfire's and TR6s, but nowadays?
Really they are quite boring and if you want smooth do it properly, get a rotary or an electric bike
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Zero SR/F! Used ones will soon be affordable!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next