GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?

Go down 
+42
tsheep2
GuzziLooper
GuZeee
Holger
knumbnutz
bjor
DeepSpace
Street
Kernow
evansnows
BrandX
Bulldog9
brmoke
Rock80
bioman
Brent S
LBC Tenni
Stubbie
Weißgerät
MelJ
Jonathun
Papa Lazarou
kubbie
GuzziSteve
tazio
Leone
Guzzi Cat
moby
lcjohnny
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
motor-timothy
rick pope
kiwi dave
SMTCapeCod
BobW981
Richard
JohnA
sideshowbob
Steak
Pete Roper
janguzzi
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Thought I had read somewhere that the new Guzzi was going to be a L twin like Ducati.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:44 pm

It would of made more sense but I don't remember any suggestion that that might be the case.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:23 pm

What’s with the dirt bike tyres on the FTR 1200? They’re going to squirm all over the road and wear like crazy, all whilst providing less than moderate handling ability on the tarmac which is where this bike is surely best suited. I don’t get it.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:19 am

Brent S wrote:
What’s with the dirt bike tyres on the FTR 1200? They’re going to squirm all over the road and wear like crazy,.......

Last year I had a 2 hour test ride on an FTR-

I really liked the bike it was a weaker version of the Ducati Monster - too expensive and a worse pillion seat but nice to ride.

And the tyres that look-like-dirt-tyres  did not squirm and were confident and accurate.  
They felt as good as the Metzler Roadtec01 on my Monster - and they are pretty damn good.
No doubt a GP rider would have found more grip on the KTM but we couldnt find much difference.

Maybe different when they square off

Last edited by lcjohnny on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp 4/10)
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:22 am

Not doubting your feedback, but they’re clearly a crossover tread design. However good they may feel, a proper road tyre would be better on sealed roads in all respects. If the bike was a Stelvio tourer for example, I’d understand, but this bike seems to be nothing of the sort, hence my confusion in the tyre choice.
Back to top Go down
MelJ
Carlotto
Carlotto
MelJ

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 am

Brent S wrote:
What’s with the dirt bike tyres on the FTR 1200? They’re going to squirm all over the road and wear like crazy, all whilst providing less than moderate handling ability on the tarmac which is where this bike is surely best suited. I don’t get it.

They’re designed to look like dirt track racing tyres, cos the bike was designed to look like a dirt tracker, so Indian could cash in on the fad for trackers at the time and the fact they were winning most of the trophies at the DTRA... obviously they overestimated the demand for 13-15k dirt trackers and they didn’t sell well (see also Husky Svartpilen 701). Most of the hipsters who were moving through the cafe racer scene on to trackers had no money so had to stick to butchering CXs and Viragos then taking off their mudguards for their ‘builds’.

Indian now seem to have realised that the platform is good but the tracker thing isn’t so have made the new ones more like nakeds and given them normal road wheel sizes and tyres and toned down the dirt track marketing guff.

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Brent S wrote:

I felt the same way on my Indian FTR1200S. I replaced my tires with Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32s. They weren't my first choice but Covid-19 made availability of other ones hard to obtain.

I'm very happy with these tires on the tarmac (I try to avoid gravel roads). Comparing to the originals, it was like chalk and cheese.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm

I will never sell my GRiSO. And perhaps I am getting old but I cannot find a great replacement anywhere.

But I might trade my 2 other bikes (Honda CB1100 and Suzuki DRZ400S) for something electric - once the range of these bikes increases and the price goes down. Little chance that will happen very soon.

I have always liked the R9T but never liked the association I have with BMW as a brand: boring, arrogant, expensive.

I really want to like the Triumphs (esp the Speed Twin and Thruxton), but whenever I see them in the wild, I am underwhelmed.

If I ever see a reasonably priced Yamaha Niken, I might be tempted. It is as ugly as it is fantastic to ride. Or perhaps the Yamaha 900 Tracer?

So far not impressed by the "spy shots" of the new Guzzi.
Back to top Go down
Rock80
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Rock80

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:31 pm

Personally, I replaced my former 2013 GRiSO "Black Devil" with one of the last "Rosso Trofeo" available here in Europe early in 2017 in order to keep it as long as possible.

But, early this year, I added to it a brand New Moto-Morini 1200 Milano (in the Original "Limted Edition" version with only 30 numbered bikes produced).
If these bikes are very difficult to get by the time being - I imported mine from Belgium to France -  they are, IMHO, a real alternative to the GRiSO 8V as the Moto-Morini 1200 "Bialbero CorsaCorta" engine is a pleasure to run combining like the Guzzi 1200 8V, strong feelings of torque on low rev's and of power on the higher rpm's (even if, for the Milano, the engine is "only" 116 hp compared to the 139 hp of the sporty Corsaro models). The engine also offers lower inertia on acceleration and (much) higher engine braking that, personnally, I like a lot.
Morini is using Mupo suspensions and these are really high-end, higher than the elements fitted on the GRiSO.
The master-cylinders are Brembo radial ones offering a better feeling and power than the original GRiSO ones. The Milano adds ABS to it but has no other "electronic" device making it, like the GRiSO, kind of old-school bikes to ride.
The Milano weighs 200 kg in running order making it easier than the GRiSO to handle, especially engine stopped.
The only "default" of the Milano is the 14-liter tank allowing a limited range of 200/220 km max besides the chain drive of course  Embarassed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
equipped with the pannier and tank bag :

Riding both alternatively, if it is very difficult to compare them, both give me a lot of Emotion on rides.

Regarding the BMW R9T, to me, it is NOT an option as, during my tests in 2015 (the "standard version") and again in 2019 (the low end "Pure" version"), the boxer DOHC engine is kinda weak on the low rev's and needs some rpm's to run correctly and the power output is so linear that it gets boring.
And on the bikes I tested, the suspensions were of very poor quality, not adjustable with a soft fork and a hard tail. It seems that the 2020+ "standard" version has gained better suspensions (better balancing and adjustable in hydraulics) but the "Euro 5" emission regulations in place since January 1st 2021 here in Europe, seem to have weakened the lower end of the tacho Rolling Eyes

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, Clancy, Richard, Leone and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
brmoke
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
brmoke

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:39 am

Hello all,

I personally did the swap the other way round. I agree with Rock80 about the Morini engine; the "small" one is even more pleasant to ride than the Corsaro' s. I did some serious modifications concerning injection, two lambda sensors (instead of one) and mapping with a result of 131 hp and 118 Nm. Nice torque from low revs, which is the most important. Morini presented a model named Granferro in 2009 which never went into production and it was my aim, to create something similar on base of a Granpasso.
After a long search I bought a 2012 GRiSO 1200 SE some weeks ago because of the total difference in bike type and to have a choice which one to take  Wink . This one too will be modified to my own liking and is momentarily awaiting it' s assembly after I got almost all of the needed parts. I will post the pictures of the finished bike soon.
For the moment I cannot imagine any bike which is really convincing me.

So long, Benedikt

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 am

@ Rock80: GREAT avatar! :-)

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm

New? It would likely be a Speed Twin or the Kawasaki Z900 or Z900RS. However, both have chains.  With the release of the new V100 Chassis, I'd hope something from that line would be appealing. The Mandello initial release looks good, but it is in that weird zone (for me) of not enough and too much front fairing. I want a full fairing (i.e. Norge) or a small screen like the 1200Sport or nothing.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
BrandX
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BrandX

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:42 am

janguzzi wrote:
Pete writes in his signature "'Forever Bike" ... I think this is what most of us want - keep our Grisos as long as possible.

Maybe the V7 is a nice little bike but not fascinating at all.

Coming from my 1st/2gen Touno, and well sorted out Breva 1100 I would of thought the same thing. The Stornello V7ii has been really a sweet/fascinating bike in it's own right. I love Guzzi big block motors, but now I can add the small block to the list..[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:58 pm

If the GRiSO went west then currently there's only one bike that has me licking my lips. Ducati Desert X.
Having owned and rebuilt a '95 900 Cagiva Elefant I know that it is based on the looks of the competition Elefant

Degs likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:43 pm

My last remaining brain cell is niggling at me, thinking that Cagiva owned Ducati once upon a time.
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Yes Cagiva owned Ducati.  
The Elephants used either 750 or 900 cc Ducati motors.
They won the Paris to Dakar rally in 1990 and 1995.

The picture is of the competition version of the 900 Elefant post 1995.
That particular bike is in Australia.
It was intended to compete in a rally there that didn't eventuate.

I built my Elefant with the intention of doing a lap of Oz but I got too old to tackle it any more
so I gave it to my son in Woolongong to hopefully go for it. This is her

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:58 am

Here you can see the full MG portfolio for 2022:

I am really curious on how the V100 perfoms.
I guess the engine performance might be as good as the V8 engines with 1200 ccm.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 am

If it isn't considerably better in all regards it'll be a huge disappointment.

As time goes on it seems that this is still a long way from hitting the showroom floors. I just hope it isn't another one of those 'Mock ups' like they did with the CARC bikes all those years ago.

Any which way you look at it it's the 'Last Gasp' of IC engine powered design. I just hope it's not a re-hash of the VA 10, or if it is they've developed it a bit.
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:44 am

Fully agree Pete. I think the two samples are real bikes - just missing the ece homologation.

At the moment the pandemic slows everything down and the prices and availability of raw material is a huge problem. This might be the reason for an introduction in summer 2022.
But I am just guessing...
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:52 am

Do we have a bored Photoshop expert here who could
implant the new engine (black) into a V8 GRiSO? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kernow
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kernow

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:38 am

It may well be my age but i lean towards older stuff. I still see a Tonti framed Guzzi in a Cafe racer form albeit with flat bars i place of clip-ons as my ideal bike. In fact a recent Mille GT purchase will take me into this very odd world. I do have a few other Triumphs including 1050 Tiger, an early Speed Triple 955i and a 2003 Bonneville, and you what i prefer the purity of the early Bonneville and the Speed triple to the later Tiger and its modernity........no hope for me i suppose.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Frohe Weihnachten, Jan!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Last edited by Street on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

janguzzi, JohnA and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Dispensing with the oil cooler changes the first impression a bit, I think the final muffler would need to be axed and swapped to the 'far' side. I like the mocha colors...but mostly the idea of 1xx HP...And hopefully no soft cheese-bolts or doughy PCV/vacuum lines, right?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:53 am

the silencer would be on this side because the shaft is on the left.
Maybe some of the space behind the (shorter) engine could be used for an expansion box to help give a more elegant silencer - Ducati do that.

But i also want a centre stand and a bigger tank flower - so i may not get it all scratch

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
DeepSpace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
DeepSpace

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:26 am

i dunno, i have 9 bikes atm, 4 guzzi's Soooo, maybe one of the guzzi newer cruisers. I've put a sidecar on my Cali 1100 that was fun. Flying Fortress maybe. I like the new V100 too i think. Thinking about swapping my daily driver (BMW1100RT '97) for a Norge. Friend of mine has a '73 shovel. maybe ill get one too. Soo many options. But it will be a 1 or 2 cylinder. I don't like electric. i dont want an automatic. also the range is just too short. Not for a daily going to work bike, but my parents are 300km away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?   What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What if a GRiSO is not an option anymore?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next