GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Easiest way to remove the throttle body

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Empty
PostSubject: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:17 am

I want to replace the rubber couplings (part #14 on the picture). I'm assuming this can't be done with the throttle body in place as the rubber couplings appear to overlap both the throttle body intake and part #8. What is the most painless way of removing the throttle body?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 am

Get the tank off,
disconnect throttle cable, pipes and wiring connectors
Undo all clamps on the tubes to-and-from the throttle bodies, slide parts 16 and 17 as far away from the throttle bodies as possible.
Then according to my memory
Rotate the whole assembly about 45 degrees backwards (anticlockwise looking from the right side) then fiddle it out to the right.

Once you have it out you can clean the grunge out of the throttle body and especially the air passages around the airscrews

paulbrice, motor-timothy and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:55 pm

Airbox has to come out too obviously. Be careful of the spigots for the drain hoses, especially the front one as they get frangible with age and can be easily snapped.

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Wot Jon said worked for me & didn't take the airbox out either (or even slacken the airbox fittings) BUT did remove an injector & it is a bit brutal on the airbox rubber horns ! Also they wouldn't come out sideways, had to wiggle them out the top of tank cradle.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Jeez! That must of been a nightmare!? I'd have to say that getting the airbox out isn't that difficult and it makes everything a lot more accessible. You're a lot less likely to bend or tweak bits of the TB linkages as well.

Obviously you can get them out while leaving the box in place but to me it sounds like another one of those 'Making a rod for your own back simply to avoid removing something pretty simple to remove' things. YOMV of course.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:55 pm

It was nightmare Pete, airbox removal would have made it easier but I've pulled the airbox before (doing the shock from above) & that's almost half a nightmare itself.....
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Mon May 16, 2022 8:41 am

Well I finally did it! Was quite tricky as everything was super tight and it did take me nearly 2 hours. I removed the tank and loosened the airbox so I could move it 5 cm to the back to get some more room. Then some acrobatics to get it out without snapping off an injector or two.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by motor-timothy on Mon May 16, 2022 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Mon May 16, 2022 8:43 am

Quite dirty on the cylinder-side of the valves
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Mon May 16, 2022 8:59 am

well done Timothy.
You will find a lot of that black gum down the passages to and from the airscrew as well, but if you take out the screw and use a carb cleaner spray and a small bottle brush or pipe-cleaner you can make tuning the throttles much easier.

It is 10k miles since i last did this and I am planning to do it again at my 42k mile service (67,000 km).
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 am

All cleaned and installed again. And the bike still runs cheers

Reinstalling was a total pita though as the throttle body's manifolds were quite misaligned with the cylinder intakes (like 2 centimeters offset on both sides)

lcjohnny and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:29 am

Hi Timothy,
While doing some research in the forum I came across this old thread from you.
Just wanted to ask you if you felt a noticeable inprovement in terms of idle stability and gas off/gas on transitions after the TB cleanning.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easiest way to remove the throttle body    Easiest way to remove the throttle body  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Easiest way to remove the throttle body
Page 1 of 1