GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Empty
PostSubject: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:11 am

Bought myself a Stelvio shock to increase travel and comfort for both myself and her indoors, might also try some 1inch extended footrests.
It's funny first few times rode the GRiSO never noticed the bumps though did notice the ride was a bit on the harsh side.
Too busy buzzing enjoying the bike to notice.
Last time out with the missus we both noticed the potholes and rough roads big time.

Buying the Stelvio shock was just the excuse I needed to service the swing arm bearings, especially after discovering the Pivot Block Bush & Bolt Head on the swing arm was seized in two places.
Ended up replacing a slowly becoming f*cked shaft drive UJ (unknown to me prior)
Fit seals to the gearchange linkage ball joints.
Do Petes 290 loctite fix on the bevel box.
I guess you could do the grease job in around 3 hours but the rest takes some doing if your impatient.

Aquiring the shock takes some patience as they don't come up too often, if they do they are scruffy as and expensive, that and have import duty fees.
£250 inc duty, vat, shipping and a new spring is pretty expensive these days compared to a basic monoshock from Hagon.
Am thinking maybe should have probably gone that way  Laughing Looking at £330 delivered though possibly £400 for my weight plus a pillion.
Could cost you another £40 for spring compressors for the Stelvio or pay someone £20 to remove and replace the spring for you.

There's a few vids on youtube using cheap amazon rachet straps.
Watched a few idiots but you get the idea.

Cheap Amazon Rachet Straps
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My purchased Stelvio Shock with softer 9kg spring
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Removed spring with Ratchet Straps and cleaned shock some.

Fitted a new 12kg spring, 2.25 inch internal diameter and 7 inch long -(am 6ft 2inch 17 stone 107 kilos, Yellow spring on later NTX model is 11.09kg good for 15 stone riders)- to tidied shock plus stuff you will need. Rags to protect new spring from ratchets, a screwdriver to un-lock the ratchets-
gloves to protect your hands. Get more use of those two cheap straps than new £40 spring compressors.

Aint nothing sexy about the Stelvio shock, it sure is some fugly plain looking item.
Cheap and Practical, heard good things about Sachs valving in these shocks.
You can have some fancy expensive shock don't mean its going to perform any better than the original.

The difference in length of the shock is marginally not a lot 25mm, its a combination of slightly longer shock and reduced length of hydraulic body giving more travel.
Stelvio shock only has compression via the big knob which is a damn sight easier than the GRiSO shock's lock rings, and Rebound via a screw at the base same as the GRiSO stock shock.
GRiSO shock has precison tuning on remote "yea like that makes a difference to the bigger man" on that short travel shock.

Setup
Remove all the compression by turning knob counter clockwise and adjust the Rebound screw two and three quarters in from any direction. This will effectively set it in the middle.

Will require two people unless have a chock stand for front wheel.
You could do this naked though its advised to have all your bike clobber on.

For compression measure from two fixed points at the back of the bike then tilt bike onto stand and measure, place back onto stand and measure, then sit on bike feet up hands on bars and just lean/support with arm against a wall and measure.
Compression should have the bike sitting with you on it about 1inch and a quarter to 1inch and half of sag. Aim for just over 1inch and a quarter.
Includes from free length and bike weight.
This sets you into the shocks travel, it can then travel down and up without topping out.
With the rebound screw ride as is a mile stretch of road with a few bumps and rough surfaces, then adjust screw half a quarter soft, shock is marked S/H.
Ride same stretch of road see if like/ Adjust shock back and try hard see if like.
After is personal choice are no rules with rebound or precision damping, precision damping is really for race, factory "dot" default for road/street/hooligan should suffice.
Setting sag is only rule, think I've managed all that maybe once on one bike ever and that was a mountain bike Laughing

Last edited by Buellbloke on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:30 pm

One GRiSO cred subtracted for presumption.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Steak wrote:
One GRiSO cred subtracted for presumption.

Thought you gave me the plus one for posting it here, I've edited the only presumption I can find Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 am

I gave you back one, because I was probably moderating while in the bottle... drunken

Incidentally though, you had originally posted this in strictly moderated "Member Tech Archive".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Last edited by Steak on Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:32 am

Also, your thread title confused me at first.  I thought you were referring to this:

Couldn't make sense of it as your post progressed... scratch

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:08 am

Steak wrote:
I gave you back one, because I was probably moderating while in the bottle...  drunken

Incidentally though, you had originally posted this in strictly moderated "Member Tech Archive".

I actually posted it here first then thought maybe it should be in tech archive then you rightly posted it back in here.
Its about stuff I scraped together concerning the Stelvio shock, buying it with the red softer 9kg spring instead of the yellow 11.6kg NTX version.
Trying to suss why the 13.5 of the Matris was too much for many.
Buying a slightly bigger diameter spring, removing old one with cheap ratchet straps instead of costly spring compressors.
Re- fitting new spring using said rachet straps.
Setting sag which most know anyway except those that know nothing because they pay someone to do everything, am not fortunate enough to be in that situation, to educate them.
Setting the rebound which I never knew.

I could mention that the new 2.25 spring at the bottom of its stroke looks to be resting on the swing arm (just) hope its not stuck there Shocked Laughing
That fitting a Stelvio will require a small manipulation of suspension bush block on wishbone mount.
That the bevel box rear mount will require similar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider   Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio Shock Early Version 9kg Spring for 13 Stone Rider
Page 1 of 1