GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o

Go down 
+6
Bill Dee
Kel
Chris W
sideshowbob
Pete Roper
guzziownr
10 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:00 pm

It's been on there since 2013 so no big surprise (4,800 miles on the clock). My assortment of Guzzi cap wrenches have managed to remove the paint on the filter.

My new plan is to put some sheet metal screws through the convenient holes in the silver tool in the picture. What say you?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:12 pm

The problem often is that the crappy pressed tin cap wrenches are simply too big so they tend to slip. I usually get recalcitrant filters to move by folding a couple of layers of cotton sheeting rag over the filter and hammering the cap wrench on to it.

This takes up the 'Slack' enabling me to exert constant, increasing, torque and they usually come loose. If that fails I drop the sump to get a strap wrench on the poxy thing.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:57 pm

Thanks Pete! It doesn't help that out of four filters on my shelf there are three different flute patterns/sizes.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Sheet metal screws will work, bit messy. If Pete's solution fails, try it.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:03 am

I have the same issue every time - I keep a roll of paper towels handy. they work the same as the cotton Pete describes
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 am

If you're ruluctant to put holes in the filter you might try mixing up some epoxy and glue the tool onto it. That should also "take up the slack" then deal with the reclamation of the tool on the bench. At least could still then ride it to somewhere to have it dealt with assuming you didn't want to remove your own sump.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:21 am

Not reluctant Very Happy  I used a nail to put in pilot holes, then screws. Once secure I tapped the 27 MM wrench with a rubber hammer to get it loose.

The filter wrench is an old one I got from Stucchi in days of yore.

Thanks to those who offered advice/sympathy.

Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:25 am

Good Job. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:29 am

Bill Dee wrote:
Good Job. Thanks for the tip.

Worked well, I think I will be drilling similar holes in my other cap wrenches for future issues.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:54 pm

I have used JB Weld in the past on a stubborn filter. The $5 cap wrench is sacrificed, but my flat lined BP was worth it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 pm

My cap wench has also on the sides a few holes. I have a strip of that matting for tool box drawers I put on outside edge of filter & tap my cap on tight. Works every time.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:22 am

guzziownr wrote:
It's been on there since 2013 so no big surprise (4,800 miles on the clock). My assortment of Guzzi cap wrenches have managed to remove the paint on the filter.

My new plan is to put some sheet metal screws through the convenient holes in the silver tool in the picture. What say you?

That's what I do when a filter is stuck. Works fine.
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 pm

I use the K&N oil filter on my 2009 GRiSO (p/n HP1002).
Built in hex nut makes installation and removal a breeze.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o   GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO oil filter is stuck-o
Page 1 of 1