GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

When something fucks up......?

Go down 
+12
evansnows
lcjohnny
PJPR01
sideshowbob
bahamazoo
Oz1200Guzzi
Bill Hagan
Chris W
rick pope
Clancy
beetle
Pete Roper
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 pm

nice timeline of events, thank you Beetle, as always, for the entertainment cheers cheers Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 pm

Mark, you have confessed your sins, to the whole entire group of us. There was a lesson in it and because of that you have been forgiven. Simply because again, you did advanced engineering design.

lcjohnny and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:26 am

My aphorism.
If something hasn’t gone wrong there’s something wrong.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:13 am

PJPR01 wrote:
Hope there’s not any permanent damage to your iconic machine!

Me too!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 am

Great stuff.

Makes me somehow feel less unept ... even tho I remain, of course, what I am.  Rolling Eyes

But I have a questions.

What and why the tape in pic here?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:32 am

YIKES!
thanks for trying to help the group out and sorry it went south on you.
I'll definitely keep this in mind should I pursue highway pegs myself
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

What and why the tape in pic here?

This tape?

That's the rear brake switch. It's a pressure switch. During the gearbox replacement, the wire broke right at the end of the resin-filled bit. I had to whittle away the resin to solder the wires back on the pins. I had tested it and it was working, and used heat shrink to seal it. After reattaching it to the bike, an errant strand of wire shorted the wires together and the brake light was on permanently. I cut the heat shrink off, cleared the short and tidied up. I couldn't be arsed unsoldering it to put fresh heat shrink on, so I just taped it up. Badly, it seems.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:30 pm

what would Mr Roper say.... scratch something about shaved apes working on your bike... Razz Razz

seems Guzzi has quite a few through holes, where through holes have no place to be.
The two under the main seal into the sump are another couple that have no rights.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Shaved ape, eh? If my arms were long enough, I would stretch up as high as I could and barely scrape the bottom of your chin with the tips of my fingers in a vain attempt to batter you about the head!

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:46 pm

It has always been thus. Right up until the 8V when they left the holes blind but then used bolts that were too long, a gasket that didn't seal and an o-ring of insufficient girth to crush around the oil feed dowel which was itself too long!

Luckily that only affected a few of the really motors but it was still a pain.

While you're in there I suggest sealing the Welch plug at the back of the cam tunnel with epoxy as well.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 pm

JB Weld is our friend... this was the last time I went in...
but me thinks the main seal is like my guitar, and thus the clutch she is a slippin'

another journey to the centre of the beast is required.

(best stop shaving now... What a Face )
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Gunna be hard from where you sit Pat! First you need to get back to where you might live, retrieve said machine from storage and see what else will be necessary for when you strip it.

Don't mean to be harsh but these things run better and leak less, if ridden regularly.
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:20 pm

Isn't that metal peg running between the pipes going to get awfully hot ?
Not being a smartarse, just that it looks like it would.

Glad you didn't do any serious damage.
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 am

evansnows wrote:
Isn't that metal peg running between the pipes going to get awfully hot ?

Not at 130km/h 100km/h   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If my boot melts, I'll let you know.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:49 am

Is there a reason to have through holes like that in the crank case or is it only due to cost shavings during production?

I hope no more damage will result from this little missadventure
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 am

The crankcase has a variety of holes and bosses that are used on a number of models but not all of them are used on all models.

Some of them are hangovers from previous models entirely. It makes sense to just re-use casting moulds and the like and modify them to suit. An excellent example of this is the timing chest cover used on the V11 series. This is actually a modified casting from the much earlier V1000 I-Convert! It still has the housing for the fluid pump cast into it and the inlet and outlet ports!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:06 am

Beetle I understand that you are experienced,  work to high standards & that this was a dramatically noisy problem

But as you fixed it with only a £2 part damaged I am not sure it counts as a REAL fuck up pale Embarassed Evil or Very Mad

I can offer a much more expensive contender for that title Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 am

Oh, I can offer forty years worth........ Rolling Eyes Laughing

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 am

lcjohnny wrote:

But as you fixed it with only a £2 part damaged I am not sure it counts as a REAL fuck up pale Embarassed Evil or Very Mad

...and if Roper hadn't called me out in this, you lot would never have found out.

I might have fessed up by the cabal campfire, but wasn't planning on the whole world finding out.

No

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:52 am

We should all proudly own our fuck ups! It's an act of atonement for being human... cheers

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:17 am

Pete Roper wrote:
We should all proudly own our fuck ups! It's an act of atonement for being human... cheers

Words of wisdom, and maturity. The older I get, the more misteaks I make, and the less effort to hide them from others.

I'm building a bed for a large truck to pull our camper. I've made a lot of misteaks on it, and have left some in plain sight rather than just grind off the weld and start over. Some times it's just not worth the effort. The worst is that the rear of the bed is 3/16" off center. Only two people know about that one..........

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:15 pm

Mistakes give our work that much sought-after hand-made look.

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 pm

rick pope wrote:
Only two people know about that one..........

make that 2000 now...
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:32 am

It's unlikely that anyone here will ever see this truck. But still, I've come clean, sort of.....

That's Mrs. EIEIO, aka Queen of the Shop trying to get out of camera range.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 am

rick pope wrote:
It's unlikely that anyone here will ever see this truck.  But still, I've come clean, sort of.....

That's Mrs. EIEIO, aka Queen of the Shop trying to get out of camera range.

Unless you sell it first, don't count those "unlikely" chickens too soon.  Wink

Oh, and my bride is like yours in that in run, dodge, & jump action when I take pix. queen cheers

Bill

P.S. Your shop is disturbingly clean and neat. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When something fucks up......?   When something fucks up......? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

When something fucks up......?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: