GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace

Go down 
+5
lcjohnny
beetle
LBC Tenni
Holger
Bill Hagan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Empty
PostSubject: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:53 pm

[NOTE: I was not quite sure where to post this notice, but decided that  -- as I rode my GRiSO with Dennis, and he rode it once and pronounced it "Grand!" cheers -- that here would do.  Steak, move if more appropriate elsewhere.]

Today, 4 February 2022, would have been Dennis Kristof’s 79th birthday.

I am sure he would have celebrated with a ride, as he loved motorcycles.

But, sadly, Dennis was killed on 8 January 2022 while riding with a motorcycle touring group in Thailand.  His wife and pillion, Taew, was severely injured, but survived. Their son and daughter are with their mom as she completes her recovery.

Dennis was born in 1943.  His hometown, Bad Neustadt an der Saale, in Upper Bavaria, is a lovely place, and only a few miles north of where I was born in Würzburg.  Dennis grew up in Germany, but came to the U.S. as an adult, where he became a successful businessman in Georgia, doing international agriculture trade, primarily in Thailand where he met Taew.

Dennis was a well-traveled motorcyclist, tallying many hundreds of thousands of miles over the years.  And, I do not mean “mere” miles, but of the sort that involved multiple runs to the likes of Prudhoe Bay and Ushuaia.  He once crashed his beloved BMW GS in the mountains of Chile on one of the latter trips, and spent weeks in a hospital in Santiago.  On recovery, he continued on that trek!  He also shipped that GS to Europe to ride from Amsterdam to St. Petersburg.  In the U.S., he especially delighted in riding with friends in the Southeast on another BMW and a Kawasaki Concours.    

Dennis was one of the most technically proficient riders I have ever seen, a natural on two wheels.  That said, most of his riding friends — and I am honored to count myself among them — would not (or could not) emulate his … erm … “exciting” riding style.  Let’s just say that it often attracted the attention of law-enforcement officials.  Yet, although frequently stopped for roadside discussions with uniformed personnel, Dennis had an astonishingly clean driving record.  Despite his age, he always had a boyish grin, and that, along with his undeniable charm and strong German accent, led more times than he deserved to “OK, Sir, just be careful and slow it down,” without getting any written “Performance Award.”  

World-traveler Dennis was an unabashed American patriot who knew more about U.S. history than most native-born Americans.  He also spent much of his time in Thailand on business and pleasure.  He and Taew owned a home there and, naturally, he had a motorcycle in his garage.  They were on that machine when they crashed.

I paste in, below, two emails with photos I received from Dennis just a few days before his death.

===========

Subject: Pictures from Dennis in Thailand
Date: 6 January 2022 at 05:56:41 EST
To: Bill Hagan

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for sending me some wonderful pictures from your home with family and friends.  I am sure you had a wonderful Christmas and new year celebration with your family. I don’t envy you for snow and cold weather in Virginia because I am enjoying the tropical sun entirely in the last two mornings riding my motorcycle 650 Suzuki V Strom all over the country with some young friends and my wife.  We will be staying here until the end of this month.  We plan to return home on January 31 if traveling conditions allow and they let us fly home. I hope to see you guys in the spring to ride with you again and until then I wish you all the best in the new year.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Dennis

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

==============

The next day, he sent this:

Subject: Touring Thailand on two wheels with my wife and lots of new friends
Date: 7January, 2022 at 09:07:07 EST
To: Bill Hagan

Life is wonderful here great weather and great company greeting from the Far East.

===============

Then, he left us.

I have been gathering photos of Dennis from the many trips and other good times we spent with him in the hopes of posting this memoriam on his birthday on some motorcycle forums.  Here are a few that illustrate his joyful, generous, and adventurous soul.  

This last was in Owensboro, Kentucky, in September 2021 when Dennis, others, and I were on a “Mutton Run.”  We also visited Green River Distillery and Dennis, so typically, shared his purchase with us that evening.  

More individual shots in this Smugmug album …

… Pic Potpourri of Dennis Kristof

And, here are some slideshows of him and others riding along the years.  Hover, if you care, your cursor over the pix to see the captions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For all sorts of obvious reasons, no memorial service has yet been planned back in the U.S., but there will be some celebration of Dennis’s remarkable life when his wife and children return.  I will post details of that here when the family sets a date and place.  Dennis’s great friend and road companion, George, wonders if Two Wheels of Suches might not be a great venue.  But, whenever and wherever, tales — tall and true — will be told of this gentle giant.

Finally, as a mutual friend observed when he learned of his death: "Dennis was one of those larger-than-life characters who managed to pack about five lifetimes of experiences and travel into one life; I was glad I was able to meet him and ride with him.  I'm sure he left people feeling the same as we did across four continents.”

Yes, indeed.  The saying “joie de vivre" is French, but I have never known a person who lived that phrase more than German-gened Dennis.  I can only hope that, for his sake — tho not necessarily His!  Wink  — that there are twisty roads and motorcycles in Heaven!   cheers

We miss you already, “Chancellor.”  You’ll always ride with us.  

Bill & Kathi Hagan

Steak, Clancy, BowraBoy and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:13 am

R.I.P.

my condolences and sympathy to the family.

Greetings from Bad Kreuznach, Germany
Holger

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:52 am

I’m very sorry for your loss, Bill. It’s clear his life was lived well. Strength and solace to his family and friends.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:03 am

My condolences to you and Dennis' family.

We've lost another good one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 am

RIP
jon

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 am

Thank you for your kind words.

Dennis was one of those unforgettable characters.  

I went down to the gate to take in the flags there — Germany and Thailand, with mourning streamers — and raise the U.S. to full staff.

Life goes on, as it always does, but Dennis will be a missed companion on rides and more.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Bill,

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and Kathi and all of Dennis' family and friends.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:43 pm

He sounds like a very special individual. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:40 pm

I am so sad to read that. Rest in peace Dennis

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:50 am

Here are some updates to this story.

Dennis’s wife, Taew, has recovered and returned to the U.S.

Because many of Dennis's family and friends live overseas, his memorial service was delayed, but has now been set for 16 October 2022.

Here's the announcement for that in the event any of you might be able to attend. Dennis's family would be touched to see any of his extended "moto-family," too.

Kathi and I will be there.

The family understands, of course, that few might be able actually to attend the ceremony in Georgia on 16 October.

Dennis’s daughter,  Martina,  thought, however, that some who knew Dennis — and even those who did not but had read of his motorcycling life and loss — might wish to say something at the ceremony even when not there physically.

Martina found a web-based way to include those at a distance in an easy-to-use video platform that enables her to collect and combine video clips to create a group video tribute.

She thus asks that anyone interested add a video using this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Many thanks.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

beetle likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:02 am

I don't think I ever met Dennis despite attending many Guzzi gatherings in the USA (mainly west coast).

My condolences to Dennis' family.

Back to top Go down
okuraner
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
okuraner

PostSubject: For Dennis   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:51 pm

I am very sorry for the never met friend. My condolences to Bill and Dennis' family.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace   Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Motorcyclist Extraordinaire Dennis Kristof (1943-2022) Requiescat in Pace
Page 1 of 1