GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Saddle Rework

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:11 pm

I found a local guy (near Sahuarita, Arizona, USA) who specializes in saddle modifications, rebuilds, and original custom builds. I met with him yesterday to discuss what I wanted, i.e. greater comfort for both me and my passenger, but trying to stay with a reasonably stock look and color scheme. I dropped the saddle off yesterday evening and he called me about mid morning to say that the initial foam removal-buildup-sculpting was done and it was ready to be tried out. When I picked it up this afternoon he had already obtained the vinyl for the job in colors that are really close to the originals. I got it back on the bike this evening and will be trying it out tomorrow.

In the photos the white is the original foam and the pink is the new gel foam. He removes a portion of the original foam and then builds the seat back up with the more pliant gel foam over what is left of the original. This helps to maintain the original shape and dimensions but provides greater comfort for the rider while still using the original pan. The stock saddle was a butt buster for both of us so I’m hoping for some significant improvement. The price estimate is about $260 US.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stef likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 am

Driver and passenger comfort is a hard task with the GRiSO. For me I pushed the rise back an inch to give me more space between the left jug and my knee. Not good for a passenger.

I like the sharp rise on your seat. I would want to make sure your area is as flat as possible while on the bike. The stock shape continually slides you forward toward the tank.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Dilliw wrote:
Driver and passenger comfort is a hard task with the GRiSO.  For me I pushed the rise back an inch to give me more space between the left jug and my knee.  Not good for a passenger.

I like the sharp rise on your seat.  I would want to make sure your area is as flat as possible while on the bike.  The stock shape continually slides you forward toward the tank.  

Agreed, it is a challenge. My legs are short so the clearances aren’t an issue. I rode for about 160 miles today and started feeling it in my sitz bones after about 100 miles. I seem to be sitting fairly level so I don’t think that sliding will be an issue. He narrowed the pan by about 6-8mm on each side at the front so those hot spots have disappeared. Fortunately the builder is just down the road in the next town and is willing to do further modifications to get it as comfortable as possible without quite aesthetically venturing into Russell Day-Long territory.

Tomorrow I’ll venture out with my passenger and see what she thinks.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:27 pm

great stuff, I see no reason (other than the seat) why the GRiSO shouldn't be a capable 2-up bike. I'll be following your progress with interest.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:50 pm

Here’s a photo of the reworked two-up saddle. The upholsterer was able to get pretty close with the two-tone color scheme although the dark roast coffee brown shade was not available. Both the dark and light brown colors are somewhat lighter than stock but we were able to maintain the difference between the two.

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:41 am

He did good on the two tone.  I used Sargent and they have fewer choices available and no contrasting brown.  I ended up going with their Ducati Scrambler distressed leather look  I still have the OEM seat so no permanent damage was done!

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:07 pm

I think it's gorgeous George!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Here’s a couple more photos showing the stitching and details.

Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:23 pm

[quote="Dilliw"]He did good on the two tone.  I used Sargent and they have fewer choices available and no contrasting brown.  I ended up going with their Ducati Scrambler distressed leather look  I still have the OEM seat so no permanent damage was done!

The distressed brown leather color looks quite good with the Tenni green. I have a new OEM saddle on order so that I also can set things back to original, although my heirs will likely wonder why the thing is here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saddle Rework Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle Rework   Saddle Rework Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Saddle Rework
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: