GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hibernation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Hibernation Empty
PostSubject: Hibernation   Hibernation Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:00 pm

It is only mid-August but with today's temperatures dropping below 17 degr C, and yellow leaves flying all over my yard, I started to think about winter.  I am not planning to do any riding after October, due to the enormous amounts of snow, black ice, etc we tend to get here.  So I will park GRiSO in the garage. My newbie question to you is now: how shall I do this to ensure a healthy hibernation?
- on side stand or find a way to keep GRiSO perfectly vertical?
- how about fuel stabiliser? Absolutely yes, or certainly not?
- disconnect battery? Invest in a trickle charger?
- OK to keep it under a blanket until the first warm day in April, or should I run its engine every now and then?
Any other ideas, suggestions, advice?
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

Hibernation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hibernation   Hibernation Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm

(My 2 cents) Well - the "Full Monty" which I used to do for long hibernation (Chicago winter) was to take one last ride long enough so that the engine gets fully hot as to burn off all the moisture from starting (the moisture that can cause the snotty oil), get home and then change the filter and oil. Used oil has lots of junk in there you really don't want coating parts for a long time. Plus then you're already set for Spring!

Definitely a Battery Tender or such: while a lot of batteries will probably be OK with sitting several months and then work fine (maybe after a recharge); cold / hot temps really do a battery in if it sits. With the battery tender on there when that warm day finally shows, your bike will start right up and you won't be stuck with a dead battery.

Are you stuck with Ethanol blends in BC? If so then I'd for sure would use a stabilizer. Or if you can get ethanol free somewhere replace as much as your tank as possible. I found a place last year I can get no-ethanol gas and put that in all my tanks over the winter. Everything started right up months later - muuuch better than the year before.

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Hibernation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hibernation   Hibernation Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hibernation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hibernation   Hibernation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hibernation
Page 1 of 1