GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Empty
PostSubject: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:57 pm

Did an emergency stop yesterday - so wrong gear and clutch still out.

The drive train gave a loud metallic clatter as the road and engine speed fell.

As there does not seem to be a transmission shockabsorber on the 1200 i take it the circumferential springs in the clutch plate take all the loading?

Do they all clatter like that?
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:29 pm

Could it possibly be from the pinion of the carc or are you certain it comes from the gearbox?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:34 pm

My clutch clatters like a basket of springs around town in traffic and with clutch lever pulled in (either stopped or moving).....one day I plan to investigate - probably after it fails....
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:41 pm

Thanks both, it only makes this noise on the overrun when braking hard just before you pull the clutch in and stop.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 pm

To me it sounds as if you aren't pulling the clutch in early enough and the motor is trying to drive the bike against the brakes as the road speed drops below the point where the engine spins at idle. The power pulses through the drivetrain will load up not just the driveline itself but the reactive system as well. It'll make a horrible noise.

lcjohnny, Bulldog9 and Evilgarfield like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:57 pm

paulbrice wrote:
My clutch clatters like a basket of springs around town in traffic and with clutch lever pulled in (either stopped or moving).....one day I plan to investigate - probably after it fails....

Clutch should be pretty much silent, either engaged or disengaged.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
To me it sounds as if you aren't pulling the clutch in early enough and the motor is trying to drive the bike against the brakes as the road speed drops below the point where the engine spins at idle. The power pulses through the drivetrain will load up not just the driveline itself but the reactive system as well. It'll make a horrible noise.

I think you are right Pete

It was an emergency stop in that i did not want to decorate the side of a van or my trousers

So i was probably too late pulling the clutch
Back to top Go down

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun
Page 1 of 1