GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun

Go down 
+2
Evilgarfield
lcjohnny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Empty
PostSubject: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:57 pm

Did an emergency stop yesterday - so wrong gear and clutch still out.

The drive train gave a loud metallic clatter as the road and engine speed fell.

As there does not seem to be a transmission shockabsorber on the 1200 i take it the circumferential springs in the clutch plate take all the loading?

Do they all clatter like that?
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:29 pm

Could it possibly be from the pinion of the carc or are you certain it comes from the gearbox?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:34 pm

My clutch clatters like a basket of springs around town in traffic and with clutch lever pulled in (either stopped or moving).....one day I plan to investigate - probably after it fails....
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:41 pm

Thanks both, it only makes this noise on the overrun when braking hard just before you pull the clutch in and stop.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 pm

To me it sounds as if you aren't pulling the clutch in early enough and the motor is trying to drive the bike against the brakes as the road speed drops below the point where the engine spins at idle. The power pulses through the drivetrain will load up not just the driveline itself but the reactive system as well. It'll make a horrible noise.

lcjohnny, Bulldog9 and Evilgarfield like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:57 pm

paulbrice wrote:
My clutch clatters like a basket of springs around town in traffic and with clutch lever pulled in (either stopped or moving).....one day I plan to investigate - probably after it fails....

Clutch should be pretty much silent, either engaged or disengaged.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
To me it sounds as if you aren't pulling the clutch in early enough and the motor is trying to drive the bike against the brakes as the road speed drops below the point where the engine spins at idle. The power pulses through the drivetrain will load up not just the driveline itself but the reactive system as well. It'll make a horrible noise.

I think you are right Pete

It was an emergency stop in that i did not want to decorate the side of a van or my trousers

So i was probably too late pulling the clutch
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:19 pm

So I read through this thread after having some issues of my own this weekend.  It all started when I forgot to put in my earplugs.  All those noises!

What I noticed was that the drive train was louder than I remembered during engine braking.  I was coming down the mountain in the rain, and as a result I was engine braking a good bit in 3rd or 4th.  

Then at a stop, I noticed a high pitched noise with the clutch lever pulled in.  I shot a little video of that here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I checked the box and CARC fluids and they are milky looking but properly filled.  I have Mobil1 LS in there and if I remember correctly that's what it looks like with some use.  Everything else was working as it should, although I'm past time to change the fluid in the hydro clutch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jeffro likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:19 pm

That sounds like the clutch lift bearing paart no 976696 is not happy.
It is probably possible to replace that by removing the swing arm and command cylinder and pulling it out from behind.

Has anyone done this?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:15 pm

Yes, you can get to it from the back. I've never had to replace one. If the oil is milky it may have water in.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheMuffinMan
Carlotto
Carlotto
TheMuffinMan

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:58 am

Pete Roper wrote:
paulbrice wrote:

Clutch should be pretty much silent, either engaged or disengaged.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My clutch clatters badly when in neutral with the clutch lever untouched, but it goes away as soon as I pull the clutch lever though.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 am

TheMuffinMan wrote:

My clutch clatters badly when in neutral with the clutch lever untouched, but it goes away as soon as I pull the clutch lever though.

Probably not the clutch then. It'll be the gears knocking together during the acceleration and deceleration phases of the uneven firing sequence. When were your TB's last balanced? What speed does your engine idle at?
Back to top Go down
TheMuffinMan
Carlotto
Carlotto
TheMuffinMan

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
TheMuffinMan wrote:

Probably not the clutch then. It'll be the gears knocking together during the acceleration and deceleration phases of the uneven firing sequence. When were your TB's last balanced? What speed does your engine idle at?

Last balanced 8 weeks ago and only a few hundred miles and I was very anal with the balance and valve lash. The GRiSO idles at 1100-1200 rpm, and seems to run pretty well, besides for the clatter in neutral. It doesn't sound bad but it's noticable, and I don't recall my 2009 8v having that neutral clatter, but that was 12 years ago now that I had that bike. I don't hear the clatter when the bike is in motion. I'll get the bike out and try and get a recording of it later today if I get a few house projects done first...
Back to top Go down
TheMuffinMan
Carlotto
Carlotto
TheMuffinMan

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:08 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
TheMuffinMan wrote:

Here's a vid of the noise. The louder ticking/knocking is when the clutch lever is out, in neutral. I don't hear it when the bike is warming up from cold.

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:29 am

Pete Roper wrote:
TheMuffinMan wrote:

Probably not the clutch then. It'll be the gears knocking together during the acceleration and deceleration phases of the uneven firing sequence.....

Agreed - and mine sounds a bit like that even after service and synch.

Does it annoy your neighbours?
Back to top Go down
TheMuffinMan
Carlotto
Carlotto
TheMuffinMan

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:02 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
TheMuffinMan wrote:

Probably not the clutch then. It'll be the gears knocking together during the acceleration and deceleration phases of the uneven firing sequence.....

Agreed - and mine sounds a bit like that even after service and synch.

Does it annoy your neighbours?

Only when I come home from work at 2330. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun   Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Transmission noise 2: clatter on the overun
Page 1 of 1