GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting

Go down 
+3
McCarthy1983
Pete Roper
Lazlokovacs
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Empty
PostSubject: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Well, maybe it was me or maybe it had been compromised in the past.

I've tightened hundreds of sump bolts in my life, but the GRiSO one felt weird from the get go. Finally got round to changing the filter today and there was the distinct curled aluminium shaving on the sump plug

either

a All of a sudden I have no idea how tight to do a sump plug (unlikely)
b The GRiSO sump is made of cheese (unlikely)
c some shaved ape has absolutely mullered it during it's previous ownership and I was lucky to have seated it properly the first time. (I'm going with that)

Anyway, can't find a replacement sump out there apart from the later Cali one

is it a direct swap? I notice that there is no spacer used and the gaskets and filter are different, will everything else line up?

Thanks guys,

anxious to get back on the road
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:11 pm

ps just a thought, notwithstanding the fact that this is one area where I'd hate to take chances...

helicoil or something? Could save me a lot of time and moolah

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:35 pm

No it is t a direct swap but why would you need a new sump for a stripped thread? Just stick a timesert in it. Or even a Heliopolis.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Ok,I suppose the abundance of over-caution is because the sump plug is one place I wouldn't like to take chances...

I had a garage change the oil on an old alfa once, sump plug came out about an hour after I picked it up... luckily I was in town and luckily I noticed quick.

I would hate to think what would happen if a guzzi plug came loose

So did guzzi change the whole crankcase post 2015?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:55 pm

No, crankcase remained pretty much the same but the mount for the oil filter changed along with the sump casting.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm

Just to give this thread a happy ending....

Time sert is in, sump is back on, new oil and filter and all is extremely groovy man

As a data point, after filling up the filter it took me 2.75 litres to get to just a hair over the midway point between full and low on the stick, not screwed in.

Steak, Bill Hagan and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:07 am

Glad to see your sump is fixed. I actually did this myself a few years back. Tightened the plug way too tight, and threaded it. Realized that the sump plug only needs to be pinched, and not over tightened. My fix was a helicoil which has worked fine since, and every oil change now I am very cautious with tightening the sump plug. Did you replace the sump gasket, I found that the my was very brittle when I dropped the sump and had to replace as it snapped. By the way, I find all bolts and fasteners on the GRiSO are made of cheese, and extreme caution needs to be taken on everyone nut and bolt.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:13 am

For what it's worth,
After playing with vehicles over a long period.....i have found Italian aluminium "softer" than japanese aluminium. It's very noticable when welding, italian aluminium is very pure and therefore very weldable and "soft" comparably.
This makes it easier to strip, so adhere to the torque settings religiously and avoid lube as this changes your torque values.

Lazlokovacs.....you've described the classic ape mechanic. Persons that are not aware of Italian aluminium tend to over tighten, then when you undo the bolt, sump plug etc it gets that funny feeling & the inevitable spiral of aluminium following.

On my GRiSO aftter riding it a while it was time to do the oil change on the engine same problem as yourself, prior mechanics had over tightened the bungs, i got away with it, next oil change was for diff and g/box.
I have helicoiled them all now. Not something you really want to do the the g/box or diff unless it's apart.
I would consider doing this for others but would buy an endoscope (camera on flexible lead), you need to make sure every piece of swarf is removed as it will do damage floating around.
Sumps are easy as you can remove them.

My opinion for what it's worth.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:13 am

The catch is on the washer. Its a steel washer with a rubber ring at the center. The rubber seals with very little force, and very little force should ne applied as the steel washer does don deform as copper washers do.
12nm = 8.85lb-ft
Back to top Go down
BMR
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BMR

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:40 pm

Similar situation here. I have lots of experience with bikes...Japanese, European, and always torque to spec settings. I just got my GRiSO home and decided to change the fluids. Got to the last one, gearbox: the drain plug felt veeeery strange coming out - sure enough - aluminum curlies on the thread. The previous owner/mechanic had over torqued. Putting it back in, it won't snug. I have hand tightened and used permatex number 1 sealent. Haven't started her up yet, waiting 24hours, but no leak yet. has anyone tried this? Is it possible to helicoil this without removing the whole thing?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:09 pm

Yes, you can helicoil or timesert it in situ.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
BMR
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BMR

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:14 pm

I got lucky. I used a scope and noticed that the very bottom threads were the ones that were stripped (about 30% of them). So adding more washers below the Guzzi washer with rubber insert allowed me to use the top of the thread on the plug. With a scope you can see that the gearbox plug sticks well up into the gearbox - many threads showing and the magnet proud on top of it. It is now level, with the magnet still slightly raised above the lower casing. I was able to torque to spec (20NM) and added some permatex gasket sealant on the plug/washers for good measure. Relieved. After talking to the previous owner, he feels it was the tech...Certainly it was bloody hard to remove. However, for future consideration, any info on a helicoil virgin would be welcome.

Cheers BMR
Back to top Go down
godge
Carlotto
Carlotto
godge

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:35 pm

I helicoiled my gearbox a few months ago. Removed foot rest bracket for better access, trolley jack under sump and jack up onto side stand then drained the oil. this leaves some oil in until finished which removed any swarf left in. Drilled hole for helicoil, grease on the drill then tapped with grease on the tap. Insert helicoil with thread lock then used long nose pliers to access the tab on the helicoil and broke it off and removed it. Lowered bike to drain the oil which removed any remaining swarf. Filled the gearbox with oil and drained it to see if any swarf , none found. re filled with oil and used bike for 100 miles then then drained again all ok. re filled and that's it. I did use a new sump plug.

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting    ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ahhh... admitting one's mistakes... stripped thread in casting
Page 1 of 1